Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Anyone still make auto zoom lenses

Back when I was using Minolta film cameras, the lenses used
to be auto focus and auto zoom. I was curious if that was just
a passing fad, or if someone still makes auto zoom.

11-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have sony oss 16-50 kit lens. Good for video.
11-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
Back when I was using Minolta film cameras, the lenses used
to be auto focus and auto zoom. I was curious if that was just
a passing fad, or if someone still makes auto zoom.
Auto zoom? How did the lens determine composition? Or did you mean Power Zoom?
11-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean a lens like this?

Attached Images

11-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax did have a feature on some of the FA lenses from the 1990's (FA 28-80 for one) where one could select a "clip-size so the lens would auto zoom to keep the subject the same size in the frame while using AF-C at the same time. You had to tell it by pressing a button which was your starting point.

Can't say I ever used it to be honest. It hasn't made a re-appearance on modern lenses.

Is this what you mean?
11-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

He means powerzoom like this one:

They will work on a digital body with power contacts, but the neat stuff apart from just zooming with a motor isn't supported. Pentax Lens Power Zoom
11-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Pentax did have a feature on some of the FA lenses from the 1990's (FA 28-80 for one) where one could select a "clip-size so the lens would auto zoom to keep the subject the same size in the frame while using AF-C at the same time. You had to tell it by pressing a button which was your starting point.

Can't say I ever used it to be honest. It hasn't made a re-appearance on modern lenses.

Is this what you mean?
I used that feature many times with my PZ-1p, and hand-operated power zoom as well. Didn't have to use AF-C, with AF-S the shutter would simply not fire unless focus was achieved. I still have both the camera and the lenses. Subsequent camera models only continued power zoom, not the zoom clip auto-zoom. People who've not used the power zoom and auto zoom systems don't realize how effective they could be. For one thing, with all the discussion about AF speed, with a power zoom lens, AF is activated along with the power zoom (you don't need to use the AF button or the half press- just zoom your lens), so upon zooming to the point where you achieve the framing you want, focus is already there- just fire the shutter! With the zoom clip feature, keeping the subject the same set clip size with "auto-zoom" you didn't have to manually zoom at all- just fire the shutter while the zoom automatically follows your moving subject! It is amazing.

The main problem is there was only screw-drive technology when this system was designed, and the PZ-1(p) only had one AF sensor, which was not a cross sensor, therefore not sensitive to both horizontal and vertical subject matter. The concept was really ahead of its time, but had these glitches. Operation is very, very noisy, since AF is continuously adjusting while zooming, but less so with a non vari-focal zoom lens, which are thus faster in focus and less noisy. I would love to have this feature today with my quiet DC lenses! We are now at the point where it could be brought back with great effectiveness!

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-18-2017 at 01:02 PM.
11-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many m43 lenses are power zoom.