Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Anyone know of a good cheap chinese m42 adapter?

I'm just looking to remove the spring and mount them directly to my M42 lenses directly since I lost the one I had for years on an excursion. I've just heard of horror stories of some of them letting off metal shavings into the camera and wanted examples that you guys have used.

11-18-2017, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
Removing the springs has been my strategy for my m42 collection. I've had the best results from the Pixco brand ones, which you can get for $5.79 apiece on ebay or $8.55 on amazon.

I bought some cheaper ones and they weren't as sharp at infinity. They were still the recessed kind, so I don't know how that happened. Manufacturing defects of a fraction of a millimeter. All of my Pixcos (I have 4, 3 more on the way) are as good as my relatively expensive Kipon, which is to say, my m42 lenses are as sharp at infinity as K lenses of similar quality.

If a lens has a tight focus or aperture ring you might run into some trouble with the adapter not having enough friction to stay in the body without the spring. I keep one around with the spring in place.
11-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the fotodiox ones. I also remove the springs and latches. On some lenses they will have a light leak because of the cutouts for the spring. I fill those cutouts with epoxy and file smooth. My final advice is I leave the adapter on the lens, and over tighten it slightly on the lens so it doesn’t come off when focusing.
11-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have a couple of the fotodiox. I paid $9.95 on Amazon for the last one I bought (last month because I misplaced one). I also have a Pentax one and can see no difference in usage when mounted.

11-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #5

It's not the spring that is mostly the problem but the screw holding it in is usually too long and cuts into threads on the lens. But you are safer still just removing the spring and screw rather than grinding the screw down.
11-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I use the fotodiox ones. I also remove the springs and latches. On some lenses they will have a light leak because of the cutouts for the spring. I fill those cutouts with epoxy and file smooth. My final advice is I leave the adapter on the lens, and over tighten it slightly on the lens so it doesn’t come off when focusing.
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I also have a couple of the fotodiox. I paid $9.95 on Amazon for the last one I bought (last month because I misplaced one). I also have a Pentax one and can see no difference in usage when mounted.
+1 on Fotodiox. Have used them on M4/3, ASP-C, and FF cameras with great success.