Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have the Meyer-Optik-Görlitz Primotar 50mm f/2.8 with f/22 and M42 mount. It's a rather strange design but I like it ....... defenitly a vintage look. The preset aperture setting is very usefull for focussing at wide open and back to preset to shoot. It's color rendition and micro-contrast is great. The centre-sharpness is Tessar-like excellent. At f/8 and smaller it's sharp all over.

06-02-2018, 01:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh it's dangerous to flick over these threads..
Enjoy that 50!
11-03-2021, 06:11 AM   #18

I just got such a nice lens as well. The optics are excellent but the focus ring is a bit stiff. Does anybody knows how to re-grease it? Is it doable for someone with two left hands 😀?
11-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

yeah absolutely! You (may) get away with just dropping some light mechanical oil onto the threads and working it in and out. That has saved me pulling apart a couple of lenses now.

otherwise get yourself a good set of small screwdrivers.

Man put them together, Man can pull it apart

11-03-2021, 10:47 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
yeah absolutely! You (may) get away with just dropping some light mechanical oil onto the threads and working it in and out. That has saved me pulling apart a couple of lenses now.

otherwise get yourself a good set of small screwdrivers.

Man put them together, Man can pull it apart
I know this is a zombie thread, but wanted to respond to this point...

Using light mechanical oil to free up the focusing will only be a temporary fix, as it will eventually migrate elsewhere in the lens - onto the diaphragm, the glass etc. Many vintage lenses on eBay have been "prepared" for sale in this way... I have a few in my own collection that were fine upon arrival, but weeks or months later show the tell-tale signs of a light oil being used for lubrication . It's OK as a stop-gap measure, or to free up a seized lens for disassembly, but best avoided otherwise.
11-04-2021, 02:25 AM   #21

Thank you for both comments! The lens really looks like a new one despite its age and I want to keep the lens for a long time. So i‘ll not use the oil trick … If there is no simple way to open it goes to a professional cla …
11-04-2021, 03:59 AM   #22
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps you could post a photo (or two) of the lens?

11-04-2021, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #23

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/554526d1636054211-rare-meyer-optik-g-rlitz-primotar-50mm-f-2-8-m42-9c0e0f49-60cc-46ea-972d-91803d4f4973.jpg
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS Max  Photo 
11-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

For the front of the lens that name plate is actually a threaded piece of material, first step it so get a piece of rubber (old drain plug) near enough the same size, and cut it down so you can use it as a wrench to remove it. it will un thread. from there tiny tiny screws will become available and on it goes.

But you may not need to do that.

I've often been able to access the focus threads from the back. Flip it over, and have a look. I reckon there will be 4 x 5 small screws in the base plate that you can simply undo! Disassembly is pretty straight forward with these things. Remember. Man put them together! Man can take them apart! Diaphragms can be annoying but its a good puzzle! :P

If this is a "forever" lens with you, buy a similar aged crappy one to explore with, any vintage Ziess, Helios, Fleckton, even old Takumar will be mechanically similar. It will give you a good feel for what you are getting yourself in for at least

And yes absolutely agree with BigMacCam. all depends on what you are trying to do with it I suppose

Have fun! Give it a go!
11-22-2021, 10:53 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have one of this, did not open it yet though, good lens.

01-06-2024, 03:16 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The rear aperture pin CAN be circumvented - indeed the Primotar f3.5/50mm is built with an easy to miss AUTO/MANUAL switch! Look all round the edge of the very front ring. Firstly you will find that it is partially knurled, then you should see a tiny green dot and a tiny red dot. twisting this ring back and forth will dis/ engage the auto mechanism. With the green dot against the reference arrow the pin is disengaged and you can use the full aperture range in manual mode. With the red dot set you are in auto - pin mode and you also get an extra stop of opening that makes focusing that bit easier.
01-06-2024, 03:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lensnut Quote
The rear aperture pin CAN be circumvented - indeed the Primotar f3.5/50mm is built with an easy to miss AUTO/MANUAL switch! Look all round the edge of the very front ring. Firstly you will find that it is partially knurled, then you should see a tiny green dot and a tiny red dot. twisting this ring back and forth will dis/ engage the auto mechanism. With the green dot against the reference arrow the pin is disengaged and you can use the full aperture range in manual mode. With the red dot set you are in auto - pin mode and you also get an extra stop of opening that makes focusing that bit easier.
Thanks for that.
If/when I manage to find one I'll be able to take full advantage

I hadn't seen this thread before ... I posted the below pic of my 50mm f/2.8 Primotar (in Exakta mount) fitted to my *istD (using a home-made adaptor) elsewhere.
It doesn't focus to infinity in this configuration, but it's performance has encouraged me to keep my eyes open for an M42 version ... not found one yet

I noticed that the Zenitar 50mm f/2 has a somewhat similar shape, albeit all in black plastic, I've got an M42 version of that ... looking for the K-mount version.
02-04-2024, 07:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rad291 Quote
Hi,

I have the same lens, m42 mount. See photos.

Question, does your lens have the rear aperture pin like mine? The m42 to pk Adapter does not actuate this pin when it is attached to the camera. So, it takes good pictures, but there is no aperture control. So, it is always wide open at f3.5.

Do you have the same issue?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Don

---------- Post added 01-01-18 at 09:13 AM ----------

"Does it have the push/pull action for setting the aperture? This is a feature of the E. Ludwig Meritar, and I confess it had me a little baffled to begin with "

Hi,

My Primotar 50mm f3.5 lens has an aperture pin at the rear of the lens, which, since nothing actuates it when it is mounted with an m42 to pk adapter, leaves the lens aperture wide open, unable to be closed down. Is that what you are referring to above, and, if so, what is the process to get the aperture to open and close. Depressing the pin, when the lens is not attached allows the opening and closing of the aperture.

Btw, my blades are also partially closed at fully open position.

Thanks,

Don
I have the same lens but in the Exakta version. Your aperture can be made to stop down because, it is a 'pre-set' aperture lens. Look at it again and, you should see two rings you can turn near its front. One has red and black dots. Turn that ring so the black dot is across from the red f-stop arrow. Now you should be able to adjust the aperture fully manually. The red dot across from the red arrow is for when you want to use a preset aperture.
02-05-2024, 05:08 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are 2 solutions to the aperture pin,

There are M42 to K mount adaptors with interior flanges to press the pin.

There is a hack tou can do by placing a small 1/8 (3mm) long plastic tube with a slice in it between the mount and the internal aparture mechanism to hold it open

See below applied to an Adaptall m42 mount

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/115841-...ml#post1199619