Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like my FA*24, but I tend to pack the DFA15-30 instead when I'm shooting wide.
I've sent you a PM....

11-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you like shooting manual and a k1 is in your future, the m20 is a great choice. Imho it is a 'pixie dust' lens in the sense that photos from it have a certain character to them that is artistic. I've only used it on the k1 but have found it to be plenty sharp.
11-20-2017, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If the OP is definately going to get a K1 then my advice would be to get the M20mm f4. Use a hood with it and it will take lovely pictures. It is sharp enough for landscape. It is not "cheap" but it is not over expensive either.

As far as the FA* 24mm f2 is concernrd , I love mine on the K1. Yes, it gets mixed reviews. Yes the lab tests will show it is not a stellar performer, certainly compared to more modern lenses. But you know what, I take photographs, not test pictures, and it is a great lens to use and gives me super images.
In my breakdown of 35 mm lenses a while ago showed no consensus in which 35mm I own (I have 7 ways to get a 35mm fl) showed the best of those lenses averaged around 28% of the vote. That means 72% didn't agree with it as a choice. Picking lenses is tough, nothing counts for more than do you like it? In the end, my issue with the 24mm is, I want 20. IF not I would probably give it a try. just based on it being an FA*. If if I could find one.
11-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #34
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
If you like shooting manual and a k1 is in your future, the m20 is a great choice. Imho it is a 'pixie dust' lens in the sense that photos from it have a certain character to them that is artistic. I've only used it on the k1 but have found it to be plenty sharp.
Based on what I have seen it has that same lovely rendition what I like in my other M's.

11-21-2017, 02:00 AM   #35
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for information and feedback. It seems that there is not one clear must have choice in this area. To be honest a zoom would probably be most sensible choice. FA20-35 or DFA15-30 would cover the wide end with great sharpness. However, I'm looking for a passionate, not sensible, solution, so no zoom for me at the moment. Even AF lens is pushing limits of my comfort zone

Based on shots I have seen there are some characteristics in FA*24 that I really like and I think that I could live with the weak points of that lens. Apparently I wont know how it fits into my style until I buy one and test it myself. But at least I have confirmed that price in local shop is too high and wont pay that much.

I've also come to conclusion that 24 doesn't necessary compete with 20. Style and rendition of M20 is so different from FA*24 that I might be able to justify both, but the question mark about it's sharpness remains. I guess this is also an issue that I wont know until I try. This lens seem so hard to find that even I should be able to sell it quite easily, if I decide not to keep it, so there should not be much risk in trying it. FA20 is closer in style and price to FA*24. Corner to corner it looks better, but starbursts turn this into favor of 24.

I put my DA18-135 on sale to raise funds for FA*24, but I'm pulling it out. I have gone thru a lot of my shots with that lens and, thanks to Normhead, I've decided that I need to give it a new try before I can sell it in order to avoid a mistake. It seems that my frustration with that lens has been due to my inability to use it to its strengths. I've learned a lot about photography since I last used it. It shall remain my WR option for occasions when that is needed.
11-21-2017, 03:49 AM   #36

I have FA 20, FA* 24, had other 20s and 28s. To me FA* 24 is the most convenient and versatile lens for APS-C at 20-30mm range. I even prefer it to FA 31 Limited. Surprisingly enough, some sharpness concerns I had with this lens at K-5 were gone when I upgraded to K-P. Looks like more accurate focusing and better algorithms do the job. The lens is very versatile, with unique rendering at close and middle distances, but for landscapes there are better lenses. Don't get me wrong, FA* 24 is not bad for landscapes at all, but it does not resolve as much details as some others, mostly due to lower micro-contrast. It produces excellent colors and overall 'look' though. So if you are looking for the landscape tool with maximum detail, K 20/4, or FA 20/2.8 or Zeiss lenses with close FLs may be better choices.
11-21-2017, 04:26 AM - 5 Likes   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
preferred 20 something focal lengths when shooting wide
Have a wee look at this thread, which you may find interesting, if you've not already found it...

20 mm Lens Club. - PentaxForums.com

Me... I'm more than happy with my "Good Lady” (Pentax-A 20mm F2.8) on FF, a few recent examples.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 11-21-2017 at 04:37 AM.
11-21-2017, 06:37 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Have a wee look at this thread, which you may find interesting, if you've not already found it...

20 mm Lens Club. - PentaxForums.com

Me... I'm more than happy with my "Good Lady” (Pentax-A 20mm F2.8) on FF, a few recent examples.
Gorgeous work as usual.
11-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Gorgeous work as usual.
Thank you for your very kind words.
11-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Pentax should make one of those.
11-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member

<<At least one thing is certain: I'm not looking for rendition that Samyang offers. It's not my style.>>

To the OP: Could you be more specific about the Samyang rendition please? I'm considering buying the Samyang 20 mm and would appreciate your input.
11-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax should make one of those
Eh?...
11-21-2017, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Eh?...
Are you Canadian?

You know, one you can buy in your local store.
11-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Are you Canadian?

You know, one you can buy in your local store.
Be gentle the old Kerrowdown is hard of understanding or in other words... eh?
11-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #45
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
<<At least one thing is certain: I'm not looking for rendition that Samyang offers. It's not my style.>>

To the OP: Could you be more specific about the Samyang rendition please? I'm considering buying the Samyang 20 mm and would appreciate your input.
Just a feeling. Don't feel comfortable explaining it. If you don't share it, you should ignore my comment.