Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 04:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No cheap chinese flanged M42 adapters?

Long time ago i bought a black M42-to-PK ring, with a flange that allows to have a working diaphragm with "auto" M42 lenses without the A/M switch.
I found that the adapter had tight tolerances, and mounted/unmounted without the problems that often plague chinese adapter rings.
The only slight inconvenience was that the marks were not at 12 o'clock.
I've used it extensively with a 100mm Pentacon that has no switch.

I don't have that ring with me, so today i decided to try to find something similar on Ebay, and to my surprise i found that flanged adapters are rare, and quite expensive.
I found an identical one from Lithuania, or a similar Kipon adapter, not anodized black but probably made of plated brass.
I attach a picture of the latter.

Both solutions are $30 or more, much more expensive than a cheap chinese ring, and almost as expensive as a 2nd hand Pentax original ring.
I have two adapters with me, one Pentax and one chinese knock-off, but i need a flanged one.
Does anybody know about a cheap flanged adapter?
Thanks

Paolo

11-21-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Most of us use the non-flanged ones and just jam the pin in with a small piece of plastic. There are articles in here somewhere.
11-21-2017, 05:08 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you'll be disappointed with this kind of inner-flange adapter. Depending on the individual lens and adapter, you'll generally find the flange is too far back to fully depress the pin, which means the diaphragm won't close down fully and the resulting aperture will be larger than expected. I have the Kipon adapter, and there are only a few lenses I've tried where the flange is effective at pushing the pin in far enough. That said, it's excellent quality and well worth the price. The flange is still useful, as it protects the camera's SDM contacts, which can be helpful when screw-mounting lenses with long aperture pins.

IMHO, you'd be better off doing a reversible modification to the lens, adding an internal sleeve to the aperture pin. There are plenty of resources on the internet to help with this
11-21-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.
I understand your point, my friends, but there is a reason for asking.
Actually i have plenty of lenses at home, many are "auto" with no switch.
I've done the mod a couple of times, the first one was a nice Color-Ultron, Voigtlander/Rollei version of the Zeiss Planar.
I found the flanged adapter quite useful for two good reasons:
1) it allows to quickly try a lens and see if it's worth the time and hassle to do the mod
2) it is on another planet vs. other cheap adapters, i always found it to be the easiest to mount/remove, even better than the original ones; for this reason it works fine for (semi)permanent conversions to PK

I'm away from home, and i don't have with me the usual stuff (good JIS screwdrivers, lens spanners, ring removal caps, etc).
Apart from one lens i already have (which has a broken A/M switch), i'd like to be able to test any M42 lens i could find in one of the local flea markets. It would take a few seconds to take out an adapter ring that never jams, and be ready to try ANY M42 screwdrive objective on the spot

cheers

Paolo

11-21-2017, 05:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.
I understand your point, my friends, but there is a reason for asking.
Actually i have plenty of lenses at home, many are "auto" with no switch.
I've done the mod a couple of times, the first one was a nice Color-Ultron, Voigtlander/Rollei version of the Zeiss Planar.
I found the flanged adapter quite useful for two good reasons:
1) it allows to quickly try a lens and see if it's worth the time and hassle to do the mod
2) it is on another planet vs. other cheap adapters, i always found it to be the easiest to mount/remove, even better than the original ones; for this reason it works fine for (semi)permanent conversions to PK

I'm away from home, and i don't have with me the usual stuff (good JIS screwdrivers, lens spanners, ring removal caps, etc).
Apart from one lens i already have (which has a broken A/M switch), i'd like to be able to test any M42 lens i could find in one of the local flea markets. It would take a few seconds to take out an adapter ring that never jams, and be ready to try ANY M42 screwdrive objective on the spot

cheers

Paolo
11-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Understood, Paolo. So long as you're aware of the limitations, it's a useful adapter to have, for sure.

Although the Kipon adapter is quite expensive, I can recommend it. It's very well finished, fits well with tight tolerances, and the screw for the locking piece doesn't protrude through the threads. That's often a problem with the cheap adapters, and it can damage the threads on your valuable lenses.
11-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #7

Caution with using those type of adapters with the late model Super-Multi-Coated Takumars that have the aperture coupler and boss/tab (or whatever that little square nub is). Even though that the particular model has a cutout for the coupler that or the nub could still jam and prevent the aperture pin from being depressed enough to make a difference. If the pin doesn't go in far enough the aperture won't stop down to the smallest setting.

When you say "cheap flanged adapters" I think of the ones with an external flange with notch for locking with the K-mount lock pin. These do not allow infinity focus but are useful with the m42 Asahi Auto Bellows which otherwise rotate a bit using the OEM m42 adapter.

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-21-2017 at 08:22 AM.
11-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I found an identical one from Lithuania, or a similar Kipon adapter, not anodized black but probably made of plated brass.
The Kipon is not a flanged* adapter, though it does have a feature that depresses the aperture actuator pin on M42 lenses. It is that feature that increases the price. A few cautions:
  • Like most non-genuine adapters, the Kipon has been known to get stuck in the mount** and should have the retention spring removed before use
  • The additional rear extension "shelf" may defeat infinity focus with some lenses
  • There is potential for mirror interference with some bodies
  • Care should be taken to confirm non-interference with the power contacts of KAF2 and newer Pentax bodies

Steve

* The term "flanged adapter" refers to models that do not set down into the mount in the same manner as the genuine Pentax adapter. Flanged adapters do not support infinity focus do to the extra distance created by the adapter itself.

** The tight tolerance noted in another comment is a clue. The genuine adapter is intentionally made to fit loose in the mount and have a specific cut to the tang edges. Adapters that fit tight are inappropriately chamferred and do not engage the latch interlock in the body resulting in potential for a stuck adapter.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-21-2017 at 09:50 AM.
11-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When you say "cheap flanged adapters" I think of the ones with an external flange with notch for locking with the K-mount lock pin. These do not allow infinity focus but are useful with the m42 Asahi Auto Bellows which otherwise rotate a bit using the OEM m42 adapter.
Thanks for your words of caution. I have very few SMC or Super-Multi-Coated Takumars, though.
Don't ask me why I've started asking myself the same question, after i've seen a sharp increase in price in the last years...

For "cheap flanged adapters" i mean something similar to the Kipon, but cheaper.
Regarding the adapters with the external flange, with the notch for the camera locking pin, i have used a few of them to do lens conversions. I remember buying two different kinds, one with the depth of the flange of 1mm, and the other very thin, about half mm.
I have also seen on Ebay that some adapters with the same design were advertised as "infinity compatible", which sounds materially impossible, unless the lens can be focused beyond infinity.

cheers

Paolo
11-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #10

The increase in price follows the increase of price in the genuine Pentax branded adapter from RIcoh which is $50-60 USD new.

Strangely enough this has lowered the average price of the genuine adapter on the used market which can often be obtained for under $25-30 USD
11-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can sometimes find the Kipon adapter with inner flange labeled as a "Bower ABSPK" for less than US$20 (although what I received was clearly stamped "Kipon M42-PK").
11-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could make one with a regular adapter, by gluing a washer to the part that fits into the mount. Some thick plastic, epoxy and a knife would work. Some sheet brass, solder and files would make something very much like the Kipon.
11-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Long time ago i bought a black M42-to-PK ring, with a flange that allows to have a working diaphragm with "auto" M42 lenses without the A/M switch.
I found that the adapter had tight tolerances, and mounted/unmounted without the problems that often plague chinese adapter rings.
The only slight inconvenience was that the marks were not at 12 o'clock.
I've used it extensively with a 100mm Pentacon that has no switch.

I don't have that ring with me, so today i decided to try to find something similar on Ebay, and to my surprise i found that flanged adapters are rare, and quite expensive.

Both solutions are $30 or more, much more expensive than a cheap chinese ring, and almost as expensive as a 2nd hand Pentax original ring.
I have two adapters with me, one Pentax and one chinese knock-off, but i need a flanged one.
Does anybody know about a cheap flanged adapter?
Thanks

Paolo
Well, our Chinese sure have something similar, see the link.

Another M42 to PK Adapter - 黎环

It's something like the Kipon in your picture but without the spring. The update price is ~ US $19. in China