Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

50 f1.4 vs 24-70 f2.8

I am helping out a coworker and taking some family portraits (outdoors). I am wondering if I should use my DFA 24-70mm f2.8 or the FA 50mm f1.4 for the pictures. I will be using the K-1. I am not usually a portrait photographer, I prefer landscape and nature, but am helping out. Another option could be using my 90mm f2.8 macro lens since it is so sharp. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

11-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
G"DAY Bull

Go outside with your family (bribe 'em first) and try the lenses to see what you like the best.
It's always sunny in Florida?
Dave
11-22-2017, 02:41 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take them all. Use them all.
Lighting, posing and connection with the subject are more important than the lens.
11-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #4

Super-sharpness isn't usually what you're looking for in a portrait. 90 is a good length for portraits, but it's for facial feature compression and shallow depth of field.

If you can only take one, take the 24-70. The 24-70 gives you flexibility on the wider end for environmental portraits, and you'll have plenty shallow DOF and nice bokeh at the 70 end. With multiple subjects, you're probably not going to be totally wide-open, which is where the 50's going to distinguish itself.

But like Sandy said, the choice of lens isn't what's going to make or break these portraits. I'd take all three and try different things. But it's more important to think about the light, do your research, and go in with a plan.

11-22-2017, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree 100% with Sandy, BullsOnParade.

You can't be thinking of gear. Either the 24-70 or 50 will be fine, because you've been invited to do this, the working distance to your subjects will be whatever's needed.

Instead, once you've got the setting, background and lighting worked out, obsess with the dynamics of how you run the shoot and what you'll ask the participants to do, because you really have to get the best facial expressions and body language out of them.

If you've never met them before, you'll need to bring in some premeditated strategies if you discover they're all naturally extroverted, or to draw them out to display warmth if they're the reserved type.

If you stop talking to them for five seconds to stare at your LCD screen without explanation, it's a mood killer, so be across all of your skills and settings before the shoot - make it about that family, not your camera and lenses.

Best of luck with it!

Last edited by clackers; 11-22-2017 at 03:15 PM.
11-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
I am helping out a coworker and taking some family portraits (outdoors). I am wondering if I should use my DFA 24-70mm f2.8 or the FA 50mm f1.4 for the pictures. I will be using the K-1. I am not usually a portrait photographer, I prefer landscape and nature, but am helping out. Another option could be using my 90mm f2.8 macro lens since it is so sharp. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
"Helping out" - does this mean you are doing them a favor and the majority of the work falls on you? Or does this mean your friend has experience and needs a second pair of hands and extra gear to ensure the shoot goes well?

Where will this happen? Outdoors? Indoors?

What kind of lighting can you bring to the table?

Are you taking mainly individual shots or group shots? Full body or head and shoulders?

As others said, take all the gear. Have some idea what is expected of you and plan your ideas ahead of time. Know how to set the camera - consider setting up a custom setting to be sure you can switch on/off the options you want.
11-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Take them all. Use them all.
Lighting, posing and connection with the subject are more important than the lens.
+1

Probably the 50mm and 90mm would be nice.

11-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
"Helping out" - does this mean you are doing them a favor and the majority of the work falls on you? Or does this mean your friend has experience and needs a second pair of hands and extra gear to ensure the shoot goes well?

Where will this happen? Outdoors? Indoors?

What kind of lighting can you bring to the table?

Are you taking mainly individual shots or group shots? Full body or head and shoulders?

As others said, take all the gear. Have some idea what is expected of you and plan your ideas ahead of time. Know how to set the camera - consider setting up a custom setting to be sure you can switch on/off the options you want.
I’m taking photos of her family. She does portraits on the side and was wanting me to shoot her family. It will be outdoors evening before sunset. I told her that she will have to come up with the poses since this isn’t anything I have experience with and she does. I have two yongnuo flashes one being pttl.
11-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m taking photos of her family. She does portraits on the side and was wanting me to shoot her family. It will be outdoors evening before sunset. I told her that she will have to come up with the poses since this isn’t anything I have experience with and she does. I have two yongnuo flashes one being pttl.
You can still learn a lot even if you're effectively an assistant who presses the button, BoP. She should help make the experience worthwhile by deliberately thinking aloud as you guys do each setup. Have fun!
11-22-2017, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can still learn a lot even if you're effectively an assistant who presses the button, BoP. She should help make the experience worthwhile by deliberately thinking aloud as you guys do each setup. Have fun!
I totally agree. This is a great opportunity. I'm surprised she isn't just supplying the equipment but no worries either way.
11-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your 24-70mm I am afraid will fall short in terms of classic portraiture. I still use K-3 but in my experience with FF DSLR or SLR's I used mostly 105mm and 135mm primes or 70-210mm fast zoom for flexibility. I like to say that your 90mm Macro will do excellent job (I guess it is Tamron 90mm). Don't be afraid of extra sharpness as this can be easily fixed in PP but you will have that dreamy bokeh and thin depth of field with advantage of very close focusing ability. Of course you can use also 50mm 1.4 but you will be very close to your subject to fill in the frame. Take P-TTL Yongnuo with you for fill-in flash in high contrast situations.