Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

fa 77 1.8 ltda not focusing on k1 or k70

I just bought a fa 77 ltda to put on my k1
When I mount the lens on the k1 it won't focus. the focus ring is like locked.
I sent back bhvideo and they looked at it and said everything is working fine.
I just got it back and am trying on my daughter's k70 and it's doing the same thing.
conclusion: I am doing something wrong.
Is there an in camera setting to get this thing to auto or manual focus?

11-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the focus ring turn smoothly when the lens is dismounted? That would be the first thing to check. Looking at the back of the lens, the little screw should turn as you turn the ring. BTW, never turn the focusing ring while the lens is mounted unless the camera is set to MF.

The only other thing is ensuring the lens is correctly mounted and that the AF shaft is engaged. Sometimes you need to wiggle the lens slightly for it to click into place.
You may also need to clean the mount.

Apart from that, the only camera setting is the physical AF/MF switch.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sas8888 Quote
Is there an in camera setting to get this thing to auto or manual focus?
All you [normally] need to do is set the focus mode switch on the left side of the camera body to 'AF'. And mount the lens correctly.
11-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The lens is small- be sure to keep your fingers off the focus ring so it can move as it should and AF can work properly. It is easy for your fingers to interfere due to so little room available for holding, so pay attention and keep fingers back! Interfering with AF by holding of the AF ring during AF is hard on the camera's AF motor.

11-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When the lens is mounted on the camera, and the camera is set to AF, you should NOT be able to turn the focus ring on the lens. The FA 77mm does not have the Quick Shift manual focus over-ride ability of the DA series lenses.

When you shift the camera to MF you should be able to freely turn the lens.

When the camera is on AF does the lens focus when you half press the shutter button?

Regards

Chris
11-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone for your responses. Its helped me conclude that there must be a problem with the lens.
I am going to be in NYC next week so I think I am just going to take it with me and have them look at it in front of me.
It doesn't spin freely with in Manual or off the camera or auto focus when set to auto focus . So I really feel there is something wrong with the lens