Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Film Camera

Dear all,

Would like to have your thoughts on this. I am planning to buy n Pentax film camera as I suddenly got interest into shooting films.

Reason for the interest is that I found two old Canon AE1 Program SLR cameras in partner's home and they weren't touched nearly for 25 years. I just took it, put a new battery and it worked and then I bought a film and started using it.

Now, I have only a Pentax gear. I have got a k3 and I often use Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and DA* 300mm f4. My question is, which is the best Pentax SLR I could buy so that I can use both these lenses. As both these lenses are full frame 35mm compatible I reckon they should both work on any 35mm Pentax SLR.

Based on my little research I find Pentax LX to be the all time classic but wondering whether I could use that for these lenses these don't have an aperture ring.

Please could you guys share your thoughts and opinion. Your advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Navin

11-24-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The LX needs an aperture ring to function. A lens without an aperture ring will only work at the narrowest aperture. The best Pentax film camera to use without an aperture ring would probably be the MZ-S or PZ-1...The DA* 300 will not autofocus with any Pentax film camera...
11-24-2017, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think those lenses don't have an aperture ring and therefore you wouldn't have aperture control
11-24-2017, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tikku Quote
Dear all,

Would like to have your thoughts on this. I am planning to buy n Pentax film camera as I suddenly got interest into shooting films.

Reason for the interest is that I found two old Canon AE1 Program SLR cameras in partner's home and they weren't touched nearly for 25 years. I just took it, put a new battery and it worked and then I bought a film and started using it.

Now, I have only a Pentax gear. I have got a k3 and I often use Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and DA* 300mm f4. My question is, which is the best Pentax SLR I could buy so that I can use both these lenses. As both these lenses are full frame 35mm compatible I reckon they should both work on any 35mm Pentax SLR.

Based on my little research I find Pentax LX to be the all time classic but wondering whether I could use that for these lenses these don't have an aperture ring.

Please could you guys share your thoughts and opinion. Your advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Navin
You would need an A-series camera or newer, i.e. the super A, P series, Z series, or MZ series.

The super program is one of my favorites if you want that old-school look and feel. For functionality, the Z-1/PZ-1 are best as they allow for electronic aperture control through the body, just like DSLRs, so you'd actually be able to control the aperture directly rather than rely on P/Tv mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-24-2017, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes the Z-1 is great with the DA 35 2.4
11-24-2017, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the PZ-1p and you can dial in the aperture from the camera - no need for an aperture ring. The Pz-1p is available used and is a great camera. The pop-up flash is one of its shortcomings since it will shadow with many larger lenses. Shutter speeds to 1/4000s and comfortable to hold.
11-24-2017, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently purchased the MZ-6 and once I put the 31 on it, I don’t want to take it off. The 300 will work, but I don’t believe you’ll have autofocus. I don’t have the 300, but if it doesn’t have screw drive capability, it won’t.

11-24-2017, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

35mm film bodies these days are very inexpensive. It is the cheapest way by far to get full-frame images- unless you tend to shoot an awful lot of pictures. in that case, a K-1 might pay for itself if you keep it long term. It would be worth serious consideration to acquire the FA 35mm f/2 lens. On a film body or a Pentax FF digital DSLR, the K-1 or another to follow, this lens becomes one of the most versatile primes you can carry, and delivers quality of the highest order.

The PZ-1p is in many ways the most advanced body Pentax ever made in terms of operational features and capability. Its AF is quite antiquated, a single sensor which is not a cross-sensor, but given an edge to lock onto it is remarkably fast and accurate.
11-24-2017, 11:31 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I can definitely recommend the PZ-1 or PZ-1p. Excellent Pentax film cameras and work very nicely with the newer lenses that require the aperture to be controlled by the camera.

The autofocus is basic using a single, center focus point, but it is actually quite fast in spite of this...or maybe because of this.

Autoexposure is very well implemented and this was the first body (as far as I know) to implement the hyper programming that allow you to use program modes yet adjust shutter or aperture settings without stepping into a separate mode. This is still used in many of the Pentax digital bodies so the PZ-1 will be very easy to use for those who are accustomed to working with the K series digital bodies.
11-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #10

Original Poster
HI everyone,

thanks very much for all your suggestions and advice. by the looks of it, i could see Pentax PZ-1 to be a good choice. Having said that, onething that has drawn me into film photography is the old retro look of earlier Pentax SLRs. Also i am happy to shoot in manual focus as I used it many a times when I combined my K10D with Pentax A, M series lenses. Please don't get me wrong but the MZ-S, PZ-1 (great cameras) all look a bit similar to DSLRs and that spoils it for me.

As I have mentioned earlier, my ideal combo would be an SLR (like Pentax Program, Super Program, P30, P30T or something similar) that can be used with telephoto lenses such as DA* 300f4 and Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 but I am still struggling to find out how I could set the aperture.

Sorry if it sounds silly.

Cheers all.
11-25-2017, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can only set the aperture on a PZ-1 or a MZ-S. The others won't do it.
11-25-2017, 04:22 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What pentaxus said. I have 10 film bodies, from Spotamatics to ME and MG and a P30t. But you’re going to have to go with a newer body, MZ, PZ or ist series to do what you’re looking for.

Happy hunting!
11-25-2017, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The LX needs an aperture ring to function. A lens without an aperture ring will only work at the narrowest aperture. The best Pentax film camera to use without an aperture ring would probably be the MZ-S or PZ-1...The DA* 300 will not autofocus with any Pentax film camera...
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I recently purchased the MZ-6 and once I put the 31 on it, I don’t want to take it off. The 300 will work, but I don’t believe you’ll have autofocus. I don’t have the 300, but if it doesn’t have screw drive capability, it won’t.
I've just coupled my old MZ-6 with DA* 300mm. (The biggest problem was finding 4x AA batteries at home). Autofocus works as expected: more noisy and slower, as regular screwdriver autofocus lens. Aperture control also works well as expected.
11-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MZ-S does require a lens aperture ring to set aperture in the manual mode or in aperture priority mode. All manual-focus film bodies also require having one. The PZ-1p has important advancements over the PZ-1, including mirror lockup with the 2-second timer.

I believe the MZ-6 and ZX-L are in fact the same, just different model names, the latter being for the US market. They will indeed work fine with lenses that do or do not have an aperture ring. They are small and light, not anything like a DSLR in design or control features. Their metering is especially accurate as I recall, nearly as good as the PZ-1p. I'd love to have a full-frame DSLR as small, light, and as simple to use as this model!
11-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The MZ-S does require a lens aperture ring to set aperture in the manual mode or in aperture priority mode. All manual-focus film bodies also require having one. The PZ-1p has important advancements over the PZ-1, including mirror lockup with the 2-second timer.

I believe the MZ-6 and ZX-L are in fact the same, just different model names, the latter being for the US market. They will indeed work fine with lenses that do or do not have an aperture ring. They are small and light, not anything like a DSLR in design or control features. Their metering is especially accurate as I recall, nearly as good as the PZ-1p. I'd love to have a full-frame DSLR as small, light, and as simple to use as this model!
The MZ-6 coupled with the battery grip is as near a perfect, lightweight full frame camera as I’ve encountered. I’ve found the metering to be very accurate, even more so than my much newer DSLRs.