Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indoor & architecture FF lens choices

First off I'm a landscape orientated photographer, but there's a chance of some work coming up that may entail a few indoor shots. (I say a few, so maybe not realistic to invest too much, at present, unless I have no option.) Let's say I need to capture groups of folk coming and going into and out of a strong architectural structured building - think classical columns and staircases. Maybe some daylight, but mostly mixed electric lighting.

Quality is not going to be for large print, so I'll likely have to get out of my 100 ISO mindset ;-) I don't know the scale of the interior, so I don't know how fast the lens will have to be, but I suspect I'll not want to go too fast with very shallow dof.

I suspect the 15-30, would be too cumbersome, conspicuous and heavy. I have the 24-70, but the distortion at 24mm is not great - I'm concerned that the architecture may be a challenge for it. I can't say whether the scale might allow 24mm to be adequately wide or whether I need to look for wider options. The Samyang 24mm with its manual focusing may be a problem. I'm happy to focus manually when I have time, but I won't have in these circumstances.

This is probably a wedding type photography challenge, I'm guessing, but with a focus on maintaining the architectural accuracy, where possible.

So any thoughts welcome as I try and gather my thoughts for forthcoming discussions ...

Just had a further thought. If I don''t have to push the ISO up too hard, I suppose there may be some scope for the 15mm Limited on APSC (equivalent to 24mm ish on FF) or maybe in cropped mode on K-1 as it will handle the noise better than APSC, and the reduced mp will be fine for small prints and social media. The 15mm handles distortion quite well, and fits the bill as a smallish lens - just ;-). Maybe, as I have a 15mm this might be the place to start ...?

Many thanks

Last edited by BarryE; 11-26-2017 at 10:10 AM.
11-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dxo perspective correction software is astonishingly good. I would perhaps rent a wide lens like the 15-30 DFA and the crop 15 and see what works you can try both and dxo may fix the superwide stuff if distortion is too great.
11-27-2017, 01:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Dxo perspective correction software is astonishingly good. I would perhaps rent a wide lens like the 15-30 DFA and the crop 15 and see what works you can try both and dxo may fix the superwide stuff if distortion is too great.
I've never seriously considered PP software as I've been locked into the Adobe Creative Suite for years. I'll take a look at Dxo as you suggest. Thanks.
11-27-2017, 03:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DFA15-30 would be my choice for architectural shots indoors. Distortion is low and sharpness is good to the edges. The DA15 on crop suffers substantially in the corners, even stopped down.

I doubt that 24mm full frame equivalent will be wide enough for all likely scenarios.

11-27-2017, 04:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DFA15-30 would be my choice for architectural shots indoors. Distortion is low and sharpness is good to the edges. The DA15 on crop suffers substantially in the corners, even stopped down.

I doubt that 24mm full frame equivalent will be wide enough for all likely scenarios.
Thanks Sandy. I agree about the 15's corners, nice lens that it is - I plan to test it later today with some indoor shots. I feared the 15-30 would likely come out tops - I just wish it wasn't so large/heavy.
11-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You can also use an DA 12-24mm 4.0 in Crop mode (and in FF mode between 18-24mm).
Or look out for a used FA 20mm 2.8, sometimes they're available below $400.
11-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
You can also use an DA 12-24mm 4.0 in Crop mode (and in FF mode between 18-24mm).
Or look out for a used FA 20mm 2.8, sometimes they're available below $400.
Thank you. That's a good idea (shame I missed the Black Friday sales). I tested the 15mm a little yesterday in simulated conditions and then processed them as I expect I would have to. I was impressed by what it could do on the K-1, but the FoV is a little narrow, so the FA 20 or maybe the 12-24 might be a good idea.

11-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A20/2.8 or K20/4 are also options if manual lenses aren’t an issue. Might take a while to find one and hoods are pretty tough, especially for the A.