Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA 20 on the K-1 vs. the DA 15 on APS-C

I’m curious if anyone has both of these lenses and could compare them for me. I really want a UWA lens for the K-1. I’ve used the DA 15 on it, and the pictures are beautiful, but I can’t really take advantage of all of that sensor real estate. My bank account is telling me to wait until Ricoh comes out with a new one, but my LBA says NOW! NOW! NOW!

11-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the DA 15 Ltd, and a M20 f4.

I dont shoot brick walls or do comparison shooting.

Save some cash and get the manual focus, you dont need AF.
11-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
I’m curious if anyone has both of these lenses and could compare them for me. I really want a UWA lens for the K-1. I’ve used the DA 15 on it, and the pictures are beautiful, but I can’t really take advantage of all of that sensor real estate. My bank account is telling me to wait until Ricoh comes out with a new one, but my LBA says NOW! NOW! NOW!
Same. I have my DA 15mm for the KP primarily, but I noticed that when it's in FF mode on the K-1, despite the obvious vignetting, if you take the shot you can actually crop to a reasonable amount that equates to more than what the ASP-C crop mode would give you, it becomes more like a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio than a 3:2 however. Basically what I'm saying is that yer getting more of the shot on the K-1 than having the DA15mm on a non FF camera, you just have to crop manually but you get a slightly wider shot. If not stitching then this is pretty awesum, but if stitching shots then best to shoot ASP-C.
11-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you can get by without AF, I might suggest the 14mm Rokinon (f2.8). It's full-frame but manual focus. I have the Vivitar version of it, and it's very sharp with little CA (and it's wide). Also, you might be able to snag one over the holidays at a good price.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwj7i7yA9tzXAhUKtcAKHQXZAAcYABADGgJp...Qww8IJg&adurl=

11-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Forum Member

my review of IRIX 15/2,4 Fireflay

slovak language (original)
IRIX 15/2.4 Fireflay ? Pentax Friends - Komunita p?íznivc? fotoaparát? Pentax

english via translator
Preklada? Google

I had Samyang 14/2,8, but I did not like the star in the sun and did not have a thread for the filters.
11-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

To those suggesting one of the full frame 14mm or 15mm lenses, that might be too wide. The OP likes the DA15 in crop mode but wants to use the full sensor, which is why they probably shortlisted the FA20. 15mm crop is equivalent (there's that word) to 22mm full frame.

@BWG, don't hold your breath waiting for a new UWA FF prime. The roadmap is only a suggestion of what they might be working on and some lenses can sit there for ages. A press release is when they formally commit to a new lens, followed by a non-working mockup many months later, and an actual product around another year later. There's been no press release for an UWA, so if they stick to pattern mid-2019 is the earliest date an UWA might arrive.
11-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
To those suggesting one of the full frame 14mm or 15mm lenses, that might be too wide. The OP likes the DA15 in crop mode but wants to use the full sensor, which is why they probably shortlisted the FA20. 15mm crop is equivalent (there's that word) to 22mm full frame..

I don't have a K-1, and my only FF experience is from "Way Back in Ye Olde Film Days of Yore", where I'd used first an A 20/2.8 and then an FA 20/2.8 on film bodies (and I've used the FA 20/2.8 a wee bit on APS-C DSLR's) (I have neither lens anymore). I have used the DA 15/4 on a K-3 a fair amount.

IMHO, the DA 15/4 is a better all around lens (for my tastes) than were the A and FA 20/2.8's -- which is not to say that the 20/2.8's were crummy or anything like that... The sun can be more problematic on the F and A 20/2.8's (and it's often difficult to keep the sun out of the frame on an UWA lens), while the sun is certainly less of a problem with the DA 15/4 - and, in fact, the sun often let's the DA 15/4 "bloom" (so to speak).

Last edited by fwcetus; 11-27-2017 at 02:27 PM.
11-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA20 on the K-1

DA15 in crop
But wait, there's more!

Short answer - they're both excellent. Both have minimal barrel distortion and are remarkably compact, but the tiny built-in hood of the DA15 is much nicer that the massive dinner plate on the FA20.

The DA15 is more flare resistant, and the 14 point starbursts are a feature. The edges are pretty mushy though, so placement of important subjects needs to be fairly central unless you've stopped down to f/8 or smaller.

The FA20 is a stop faster, and has better edge sharpness. The big-arse six point stars are an acquired taste. I have since sold my copy because my DFA15-30 covers the focal length with with the convenience of wriggle room in both directions (and WR, silent focus, etc.)
11-28-2017, 02:47 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Making a case for the DA15ltd.
Almost immune to flare and one of the most beautiful starbursts of any lens around.
Small and highly portable, which I found really handy when I used APSC.

I shot a lot of panos with the DA15, which made up for the limitation of about 22mm equivalent on apsc
In fact, I felt confident enough with it that it went with me on quite a few trips as my widest lens in combination to a pano head.

Otherwise, I feel that a good copy of a cheap Samyang 14/2.8 does really well on FF.
So worth a look if budget is an issue.
11-28-2017, 03:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was always pretty impressed with square crop mode output from the K-1 when a DA 15 was used. I don't own a K-1 so grain of salt, but... I really like my DA 15.

The Sigma 24mm f2.8 "Super-Wide II AF" or one of the 3rd party branded copies of the same might also be of interest. Nearly identical field of view. Used to be a number of 24mm f2.0 manual focus primes on the market that could be found used today.

Samyang offers 20 and 24mm fast primes. They're not small like a DA 15 or the Super-Wide but they're optically excellent from what I have read (I really want to stop talking about lenses I have not used...).
11-28-2017, 04:33 AM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It's hard to replace the DA15; it's tiny and as good as immune to flare. And has beautiful starbursts if you want (at least with the SMC version).

That said, after I got the A20/2.8 I've used it with much joy. It is a bit bigger (and a lot bigger with the saucepan hood!) and more susceptible to flare. But it is wide and reasonably sharp (although not DFA15-30 sharp). And for this focal length I don't miss autofocus at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The FA20 is a stop faster, and has better edge sharpness. The big-arse six point stars are an acquired taste.
Ah, yes, and the A20 has five aperture blades. I like the ten point stars it produces. Or rather, the ten bladed propellers it produces!

Here's a test shot I made to demonstrate the "propellers".

A20/2.8 at f/11 on the K-1.
11-28-2017, 04:48 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey! The FA20's six pointers aren't all bad

But the DA15 is something else again

11-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey! The FA20's six pointers aren't all bad

But the DA15 is something else again

Are these the newer DA15mm HD Ltd shots Sandy, or the older DA15mm? I think I read somewhere that the version I have (red stripe) is not so good at the star burst thing as the older green stripped one?
11-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Are these the newer DA15mm HD Ltd shots Sandy, or the older DA15mm? I think I read somewhere that the version I have (red stripe) is not so good at the star burst thing as the older green stripped one?
It is the original SMC version with the straight aperture blades. Accept no substitutes

You are correct about the new "improved" HD version.
11-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is the original SMC version with the straight aperture blades. Accept no substitutes

You are correct about the new "improved" HD version.
Yeh thought so, daym... But but... my one is silver and looks nice on the KP Sandy!