Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax extended warranty for lenses?

Basically, is it available at all? Or I need to get one of the squaretrade variety? I bought a new 15-30, so I have about a month to get that sorted out

11-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not that I know of, you have to go for the third-party ones.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-29-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The problem with warranties is that they only really cover defects in original manufacture and materials. So if a focus motor wears out prematurely, you're entitled to a repair, etc.

But if your camera or lens survives its original 1, 2, or five year warranty, chances are the parts inside are good, and will last the anticipated product lifespan.

When someone comes to me with a six year old lens that has stopped working, it nearly always isn't because it was originally defective. Knocks, bumps, moisture, grit, all come down to wear and tear, and are the typical cause of grief either during or after the warranty period.

While there have been "no questions asked" warranties over the years, that would cover impact damage, water logging, or even fire, they're few and far between these days. It's not hard to imagine someone eyeing the new model camera or lens and doing an "oops" with the old one into the saltwater swimming pool.

The typical experience with an extended warranty claim these days is that the lens owner is shown the mark or scratch indicating damage (and what three year lens doesn't have some small mark?) and is told "that's not covered".

It may vary from country to country, but around here, extended warranties are merely a profitable "add on" at the cash register for the nervous camera buyer. The fact that the camera has a two year factory warranty, and the lens maybe five years, is downplayed by the sales staff who are encouraged to sell as many warranties as possible.

In fact, I don't think I've ever met anyone who got something repaired hassle free under extended coverage.
11-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
In fact, I don't think I've ever met anyone who got something repaired hassle free under extended coverage.
Not cameras, but I've had two laptops repaired by Staples/Business Depot under extended warranty, no questions asked. One was a keyboard failure; I forget the other. It was several years ago.

11-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Not cameras, but I've had two laptops repaired by Staples/Business Depot under extended warranty, no questions asked. One was a keyboard failure; I forget the other. It was several years ago.
Yes, I do recall Consumer Reports or some similar organization many years ago saying extended warranties on laptops were worthwhile, for some reason. Most other things, they said to keep your money.

I remember Staples selling warranties on cameras, but then asked the customer to get three repair estimates on their own - which is pretty much impossible. Even if you can find three repair shops within driving range, you will likely have to pay for those inspections. The customer usually gives up.
11-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote

But if your camera or lens survives its original 1, 2, or five year warranty, chances are the parts inside are good, and will last the anticipated product lifespan..
I don't think that's been the case with the entry level Pentax body aperture mechanisms, Ontarian, such as in the K-30, K-50, K-S1, K-S2, etc, or some of the first generation of SDM lens motors.

I think what you say is much truer of something like a laptop or phone rather than a camera or lens, which contain moving parts.
11-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, true, there are some glitchy mechanisms and parts out there, which seem to have a more limited life span than they were designed for. Canon aperture flex ribbons in several lenses go bad after a few years too.

But maybe someone out there can tell us if they got an SDM motor replaced, or a body aperture unit fixed, under the protection of an aftermarket warranty program.

11-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'll pick up squaretrade 3 year thing, Pentax extended warranty did save me some cash few months ago when I sent my k-1 in for some tune ups. 15-30 is a rather expensive lens, I'd rather be safe than sorry