Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #1

Vacation test of the DA 55-300

As I promised, some samples from DA 55-300 (it arrived in the last moment before vacation).
Photos are resized, JPEG 70%, no PP whatsoever.
Many of them are shot early in the morning.
Many of them show "underexposure" in the histogram, but at the same time I find that K20 is always doing terrific job at accurately representing the light conditions and "feel" of the scene.
I am really satisfied with the lens. Yes it's loud, but it shows only when it has to run through full span of focal length. I do not have real experience with some SDM lens to compare the focus speed, but it's fast enough for me. Only time I experienced some out of focus shots was when kite surfer was jumping out of water right in front of me (few meters). Unfortunately, I cant supply exact percentage of in focus shots cause I deleted a lot of photos due to memory shortage on that particular occasion.
Anyway, it was really extreme test of focus speed and my ability to follow the surfer at such short distance.
Otherwise, I'm really happy with it.

Attached Images

08-28-2008, 01:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good shoots

I like the close up of the surfer... is it cropped?

Neil
08-28-2008, 01:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
No, no cropping and PP. I wanted to see how K20 and DA 55-300 fare together "on their own", so I shot majority of photos in P and Av mode without any exposure correction from me.
OK, here is some more photos...
Attached Images

08-28-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting some more images from this zoom. For the current price, the images can be quite good with better composition like how you took these photos.

I found contrast a little low at times but the bokeh are actually quite pleasing at some situations. This is not a bad buy at all.

I had seen quite a few backfocusing shots in other threads at 300mm. Not sure it was user error or a common flaw with the zoom.

08-28-2008, 01:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the additions..

and the reply re the surfer... thats a great shot.

I have this lens and love it... great value in my eyes

Neil
08-28-2008, 02:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
For two weeks of shooting (12 gig), I have not experienced misfocus (FF or BF). I use spot focusing and when subject is out of focus it was because I failed to "aim" properly and autofocus locked on the background (only few images) or as I mentioned earlier, when the action was just too fast and close.

This the SLR lens section, I know, but please, feel free to comment on the photos (if thats OK with admin).
There is a lot to learn...

Last edited by gamgee; 08-28-2008 at 02:09 AM.