Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

DA 35 f2.4....is there an L version?

Just purchased this lens from B&H, and now I see that it is listed this way:

Pentax 35mm DA L F2.4 AL Lens

I'm familiar with the older "L" versions that were kit lenses, typically sold with a camera. But I thought there was only one version of this lens. On the Ricoh site, it is listed without the "L".

Help?

Thanks.

11-30-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is only one version, and as you see, DA is indicated on the lens itself. But it's DA L spec, as it has a plastic bayonet, no quick-shift mechanism and came without a lens hood, although I have a JJC replacement hood on mine. Have no fear though - it's an excellent lens (not called a 'plastic fantastic' for nothing!)
11-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I regard this (and the 50mm f/1.8) as "L" (light) lenses as they meet all the requirements - plastic mount, no distance markings or quick-shift. Pentax only add the "L" is there's a non-L version of the same lens, but that doesn't make sense to me.

It's a good lens, especially stopped down a tad to 2.8 or 3.2, I hope you enjoy it.
11-30-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anselesn Quote
Pentax 35mm DA L F2.4 AL Lens
It is not a DA L lens. It is a DA AL lens, where AL stands for aspherical lens element. Note that the DA L are only kit zooms, and they are even lower level than the DA. They have next to no markings, no green ring.
If any site has it labelled as DA L, it is wrong information. There is no DA L prime, only the kit zooms. DA AL is completely different, many other lenses have AL in the name.

You can read some of this info here, in the description:
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The DA 50mm f1.8 is very similar to the DA 35mm and it is also not DA L. But the 50mm does not have aspeherical element, so it is not AL, either.

Esentially Pentax has the following tiers:
DA L - kit zooms, super cheap, no markings, no special features. Only comes with camera. (XS label was similar, but was abandoned)
DA - the budget DA lenses like 35mm and 50mm and the non-DA L versions of the kit lenses
DA - the upper level DA lenses. These often have features like IF, WR
DA Limited - Compact lenses with tremendous character
DA* - Top of the line lenses with fast aperture and lots of features

And now there are also DFA versions, and there used to be FA (some FA are still available as new, but they are no longer being produced as far as we know)

Tl;dr: No, there is only one version of the DA 35mm f2.4 AL. It is AL, not DA L. They mean different things. The DA 35mm f2.4 came in various colours, but they all had same optics. If you see that lens advertised as DA L, it is wrong information on that website.

11-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, but this is a common typo because the lens has a plastic mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all.