Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax-DA* 16-50 Screw Drive converted lens value increase or decrease

Does sell price of a converted, e.g. DA* 16-50mm, stay the same or decrease?
Any other input on this subject is appreciated.

11-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The value is slightly less than that of a working SDM model. Personally, I've usually sold at around 80% the price of a fully working lens.
11-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
The value is slightly less than that of a working SDM model. Personally, I've usually sold at around 80% the price of a fully working lens.
And a ton more than a non-working lens! LOL
11-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply

11-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a DA 17-70 with non working SDM, it is probably worthless since the repair costs more than a gently used replacement. The 17-70 does not have any option to convert to screwdrive, the 16-50 does. I would think a converted lens is worth a lot more than a non-working one but not as much as one with a properly working SDM.
11-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You could argue it's now worth more in terms of faster autofocus, and that it's now futureproofed against SDM failure. Someone else has gone through the trouble of doing the conversion.

On the other hand, it's now noisier!
11-30-2017, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You could argue it's now worth more in terms of faster autofocus, and that it's now futureproofed against SDM failure. Someone else has gone through the trouble of doing the conversion.

On the other hand, it's now noisier!

Since I am old school engineer I actually enjoy screw drive noise

---------- Post added 11-30-17 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I have a DA 17-70 with non working SDM, it is probably worthless since the repair costs more than a gently used replacement. The 17-70 does not have any option to convert to screwdrive, the 16-50 does. I would think a converted lens is worth a lot more than a non-working one but not as much as one with a properly working SDM.

Very wisely spooken

11-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has there ever been talk of the bodies not supporting screwdrive? Seems impossible, as it would eliminate too many great lenses, like the Limiteds to start with. I like my SDM lenses though, and they give you things like catch in focus, which I think you'll loose with the screwdrive conversion. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
11-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Has there ever been talk of the bodies not supporting screwdrive? Seems impossible, as it would eliminate too many great lenses, like the Limiteds to start with. I like my SDM lenses though, and they give you things like catch in focus, which I think you'll loose with the screwdrive conversion. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I highly doubt Pentax would render a large portion of their modern lineup obsolete at any point in time.

Catch in focus should still work with a converted 16-50, just put it in manual focus mode.
11-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
just put it in manual focus mode
Does that still work? I was thinking once converted and presenting as screwdrive, it would be in an "always on" state.
11-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does that still work? I was thinking once converted and presenting as screwdrive, it would be in an "always on" state.
?

All screwdrive lenses can be manually focused.
11-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Putting your body in manual focusing mode retracts the AF screw into the body, which lets you manually focus screwdrive lenses without resistance.
12-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

I took a hit when the SDM died on mine.. so I converted it to screwdrive. Took about 25-30% off of the price I was planning on selling it at. Though, in a way, I'm glad it died when it did... it would have been far worse for the new owner to get it and shortly it fail.

Just know there are a ton of these lenses out there.. so taking 25 or 30% off the retail brand new price is not realistic. It sells for far lower second hand. Check ebay SOLD listings and the marketplace here on PF for sold listings too.

My copy was super clean (like new) with the caps hood pouch manuals and pristine product box... and it still took awhile to sell.
12-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

All screwdrive lenses can be manually focused.
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Putting your body in manual focusing mode retracts the AF screw into the body, which lets you manually focus screwdrive lenses without resistance.

I didn't mean manual focus, I meant using the "catch in focus" feature where you preset a focal point, and when the subject comes into focus, the camera fires.

And I was under the impression you had to have either a manual focus lens or a lens that had a switch on it. I came up with that from the tip article here on the forum, but going back and re-reading it, it doesn't say you can't put the body into manual focus mode on a screwdrive lens, but I inferred it, perhaps erroneously. From the tip at:

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

it says:

If applicable on your camera model, also make sure that the shutter priority for AF.S is set to “Focus priority” (custom menu item #15 or #17 on many cameras, called "AF.S Setting" and enabled by default).
Once this is done, a manual lens needs to be mounted on the camera.
Alternatively, you can use an autofocus lens with an AF/MF switch. The switch should be set to MF.
If your AF lens doesn't have such a switch, the camera can also be tricked into thinking that a manual lens is mounted by depressing the lens lock button or even taping over the electrical contacts, though this is far from recommended!
Users who have set the AF to trigger only via the rear AF button will not be able to use catch-in focus unless they also allow AF via the shutter button.

Read more at: Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

So, I took this to mean the lens had to have the switch, and it didn't work by using the switch on the body. I'd happily eat a plate of crow to find out I can throw the switch on the body and use "catch in focus" with all my screwdrive lenses. And it would be good not to loose this feature when converting an SDM with a failed motor to screwdrive.

Hands-on experience from anyone? I know i know, go get the camera and figure it out.....

12-01-2017, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't mean manual focus, I meant using the "catch in focus" feature where you preset a focal point, and when the subject comes into focus, the camera fires.

And I was under the impression you had to have either a manual focus lens or a lens that had a switch on it. I came up with that from the tip article here on the forum, but going back and re-reading it, it doesn't say you can't put the body into manual focus mode on a screwdrive lens, but I inferred it, perhaps erroneously. From the tip at:

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

it says:

If applicable on your camera model, also make sure that the shutter priority for AF.S is set to “Focus priority” (custom menu item #15 or #17 on many cameras, called "AF.S Setting" and enabled by default).
Once this is done, a manual lens needs to be mounted on the camera.
Alternatively, you can use an autofocus lens with an AF/MF switch. The switch should be set to MF.
If your AF lens doesn't have such a switch, the camera can also be tricked into thinking that a manual lens is mounted by depressing the lens lock button or even taping over the electrical contacts, though this is far from recommended!
Users who have set the AF to trigger only via the rear AF button will not be able to use catch-in focus unless they also allow AF via the shutter button.

Read more at: Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

So, I took this to mean the lens had to have the switch, and it didn't work by using the switch on the body. I'd happily eat a plate of crow to find out I can throw the switch on the body and use "catch in focus" with all my screwdrive lenses. And it would be good not to loose this feature when converting an SDM with a failed motor to screwdrive.

Hands-on experience from anyone? I know i know, go get the camera and figure it out.....

I wish I had known this was going to come up. I converted two lenses today that I could have tested this with. But they are both packed up for shipment already. I'm too lazy to convert one of my own right now. LOL...

---------- Post added 12-01-17 at 08:03 PM ----------

Wait! My DA 16-50 is converted - DOH! Let me check.

---------- Post added 12-01-17 at 08:08 PM ----------

Confirmed: DA 16-50 converted MF/AF switch works as normal pre converted. If the lens is placed into MF mode the lens will function with Catch in Focus. If the body is switched to MF mode while the switch is in AF mode this does not happen, the lens simply fires without waiting for focus to be achieved.