Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 01:43 AM   #1

I only get one shot. Please help me buying.

Hello everyone.

I own a SLR like machine, Fuji s6000FD and it is time for me to upgrade.

I am from Turkey and DSLRs and lenses are twice the cost in here according to USA.
I have a chance my friend in USA can bring me a new machine.
I will have no chance to buy a new item for a year and no chance to refund for a bad copy lens.

So I must choose very carefully what I will buy. I hope some may help me with my decision.

I intend to shoot landscape, nature and product photos(that is macro).
I like low light photos. Portraits are not primary subject, for now.

I read pages and pages of forums and examined the photos in pentaxgallery.com again and again. Especially after seeing the premium photos, I thought that some zoom lenses are veeery nice but, like, not exactly at there. Their shoots are 9/10.
But when I see some photos from a prime lens, I said that's it, I'm hooked They are 10/10 and I think it's the difference between 9/10 and 10/10 that's matter and the distance between 9 and 10 is much more than 1 point Hence, I decided to go for the primes.

So, my list:
Pentax K20D
Pentax 14mm f/2.8 DA -- for landscape
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 -- for low light and some portraits.
Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro -- for macro and medium telephoto

I would like to add the 31mm f1.8 to list for generic/street use but it will push my budget for sure. I may add a DA* 30mm or 31mm f1.8 next year.

I liked the DA* 16-50mm very much but there are so many bad copy complaint which I can't take the risk.

Your opinions are suggestions are very wellcome.

note:sorry for my un-native English.

Last edited by apemen; 08-28-2008 at 02:49 AM.
08-28-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple of fa35 f/2 lenses on the forum's marketplace that might substitute the need for the 31mm.
08-28-2008, 02:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
There are a couple of fa35 f/2 lenses on the forum's marketplace that might substitute the need for the 31mm.
I overlooked that lens. Looking reviews and photos of that lens now.
Thank you.
08-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by apemen Quote
Hello everyone.

Your opinions are suggestions are very wellcome.

note:sorry for my un-native English.
I will just say welcome - I notice this is your first post. As for your body/lens selections, I will leave that to those who are far more qualified than I. Your English seems better than that of of my countrymen, and as for our Australian brothers, they speak and write some language unknown on any other part of the planet (joke).

I lived in your wonderful country from August 1962 to November 1963. U S Air Force at a small base at Trabzon. Just seeing your post brings back many memories - eating döner kebabs at a restaurant on the main square, having my personal straight razor, shaving brush, and mug at the barber shop, the kindness and courtesy of the people. I once had the need to get from Sinope to Samsun quickly. I ended up on a commercial bus, which was unusual for U S military personnel. I was instantly recognized as an "American" and given the seat immediately behind the driver. I had an Argus C3 (yikes, a rangefinder intrudes into a digital forum), and somehow the driver got me to understand that any time I wanted to take a picture, he would be happy to stop the bus. I can still remember the stopped bus with a lot of heads out the windows watching me take pictures. Can you imagine that happening anywhere in the world today?

Once again, welcome.

08-28-2008, 03:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
I will just say welcome - I notice this is your first post.
I lived in your wonderful country from August 1962 to November 1963.
Once again, welcome.
Thank you very much.

I lived in Samsun for 10 years. The northern region of Turkey is indeed lovely, where the green forest meets the blue sea. (or would i say blacksea :P)

Doner Kebap is lovely, and you just can't get enough. I will never be bored (may be a better word here?) eating it.

Well, as you see the northern region already, I suggest you see the southern-mediterrian- region. Alanya, Antalya, Mugla, Bodrum is famous places as you may already know.

And this time I sugest you try the Adana Kebap, especially if you like some peppered.

Thanks again.
08-28-2008, 03:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Gday...welcome to the forum Apeman..

Good luck with your choices mate

Regarding

QuoteQuote:
and as for our Australian brothers, they speak and write some language unknown on any other part of the planet
to be fair dinkum and bloody hoath I am a ridgy didge dinky di true blue Aussie, much like the Mallee Boy and other diggers here. Some like to take the pisser out on us and the the way we talk but strewth mate talking strine is the next best thing to Fosters, From chucking a prawn on the barbie to sipping the good leaf from a Billy, or even sucking the amber from a stubbie there is no better life for a fella than to come from the land down under.

Neil
08-28-2008, 03:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well,
Pentax SMC-FA 35mm f/2 AL is very good indeed. Pretty darn sharp at a good price.

My concern is that:
Angle of view is 31.3 for FA50 1.4 and 42 for FA35. May be some overlap here?
Should I leave the FA50 and just go for FA35. Would I miss the F1.4? A photo within just a candle light was lovely.

Or a FA35 and a DA70 would be a nice combination which erases the fault for giving up the FA50, and sinks my budget
Oh my, that's the LBA thing you always talk about, isn't it? And I just get started

08-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

The Land Down Under

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Gday...welcome to the forum Apeman..

Good luck with your choices mate

Regarding
QuoteQuote:
and as for our Australian brothers, they speak and write some language unknown on any other part of the planet
to be fair dinkum and bloody hoath I am a ridgy didge dinky di true blue Aussie, much like the Mallee Boy and other diggers here. Some like to take the pisser out on us and the the way we talk but strewth mate talking strine is the next best thing to Fosters, From chucking a prawn on the barbie to sipping the good leaf from a Billy, or even sucking the amber from a stubbie there is no better life for a fella than to come from the land down under.

Neil
Your Honor, We have no further witnesses to call. We rest our case. I mean, have you ever seen a Duck-billed Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus)?
08-28-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Well, as you see the northern region already, I suggest you see the southern-mediterrian- region. Alanya, Antalya, Mugla, Bodrum is famous places as you may already know.

And this time I sugest you try the Adana Kebap, especially if you like some peppered.

Thanks again.
So little time, so many places I will never see. I did make it to Adana for a few days, had to get a physical and that was our nearest hospital. Got to see a little of the countryside. My wife is an artist (landscape in oil) and she TELLS me that the next places I am going are Tuscany and La Spezia. Oh well!!!
08-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
So little time, so many places I will never see. I did make it to Adana for a few days, had to get a physical and that was our nearest hospital. Got to see a little of the countryside. My wife is an artist (landscape in oil) and she TELLS me that the next places I am going are Tuscany and La Spezia. Oh well!!!
Maybe next time

Well, it's still the mediterran, can't go wrong with it.
I hope you enjoy your journey to Italy.
08-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I commend you on your choice of primes over zooms, but in this case, I'd suggest the DA 12-24 f/4 over the 14mm prime. The DA 12-24 is exceptional, and is a 9.8 to the DA 14's 10.

Plus, it's wider, and from 20-24mm can be used as a general walkabout. I've used it for portraiture at 24mm with very good results.

08-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #12

Original Poster
thanks for your reply jsherman999

12-24mm is very tempting indeed. Price is no concern between it and 14mm.

But that photo, i loved it especially the green.
I think that photo shows what I mean with the difference between 9 and 10.

12-24mm would even save me looking for someting between 14mm and 50mm for a while, but I doubt 12-24mm is that good.

As I said, it's the difference between 9.0 point and 10.
If you say 12-24mm is like 9.8 then I will glady re-consider it.

Last edited by apemen; 08-28-2008 at 10:28 AM.
08-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You may also want to consider the DA21 Limited if the FA31 is beyond your budget. I find it to be an outstanding lens and the small size is very good as a walking around lens. Dave
08-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #14

Original Poster
wow, your lens collection is dreamy

I will consider the DA21, I'd like it to be faster than F/3.2

thank you davef
08-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for your reply jsherman999

12-24mm is very tempting indeed. Price is no concern between it and 14mm.

But that photo, i loved it especially the green.
I think that photo shows what I mean with the difference between 9 and 10.

12-24mm would even save me looking for someting between 14mm and 50mm for a while, but I doubt 12-24mm is that good.

As I said, it's the difference between 9.0 point and 10.
If you say 12-24mm is like 9.8 then I will glady re-consider it.
In my opinion the 12-24 is right there, just about 10/10 for a lens with that coverage, plus it just feels "right" when using it. It`s my most frequently used lens at work, right before 16-50 that I do like a lot (very nice copy BTW) It is little on the heavy side, not too bad however.

Good luck with Your choices.

Cheers.
Mike.

P.S.
I have two A 50 1.7 's , the IQ of 12-24 is almost comparable to them, IMO.