Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Does the DA 50 1.8 have focusing problems?

I was reading this lenstip review of the DA 50 1.8 and it says the autofocus is a mess and that the reviewer used it as a manual focus lens.

Pentax smc DA 50 mm f/1.8 review - Autofocus - LensTip.com

Is that common, or did he simply have a bad copy?

12-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SenorBeef Quote
I was reading this lenstip review of the DA 50 1.8 and it says the autofocus is a mess and that the reviewer used it as a manual focus lens.

Pentax smc DA 50 mm f/1.8 review - Autofocus - LensTip.com

Is that common, or did he simply have a bad copy?
I've never had any problems with mine on K-5 or K-3. Don't expect any issued on the K-1 either but haven't tried yet.
12-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you read the " In Depth Review " here on the forums?

Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

"Currently Pentax makes three different 50mm lenses: the SMC Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro, and DA 50mm F1.8. All three can be used on digital cameras and the first two are considered full-frame lenses. Although the DA 50mm is marketed as an APS-C-only lens, some speculate that it may also work on full-frame (i.e. film) cameras. There is thread concerning this issue on our forum, but until the issue is finally put to rest we will have to take the position that the lens is to be used only on APS-C digital cameras and is not full-frame compatible.
In this comparative review we will be taking a look at all lenses mentioned above. They are all fifty’s but which one is the nifty fifty? Read on to find out! "

"The DA 50mm is a well-constructed lens that produces very good images wide open and excellent images stopped down. The lens handles well and has no distortion, chromatic aberration or vignetting. The bokeh is very good and it can be used as a street lens or for portraits.

Pros

Sharp
No noticeable distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberration
Very light
Great value at $224

Cons

Some flare
No distance scale
Plastic lens mount
No quick-shift focusing
No aperture ring / "APS-C only"

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-50mm-fa-da-dfa-lens-comparison/c...#ixzz5015NBxyR

I haven't experienced any problems with my copy of the DA 50mm F1.8

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-01-2017 at 06:42 AM.
12-01-2017, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, this is translated version of Polish site optyczne.pl. Key difference is, that on english version, there are no comments section. If you would scope thru there, you will find that for about 5 years(when most of pentax lenses where tested) every test they made, was pointed out to be done on faulty camera body by that forum users.
I have DA50/1.8 on my third Pentax camera, it needed -1 or no adjustment at all depending on camera. Never had any accuracy problems. I did also once test shoot it with Lens Align mark2 with gen IV target scale, and did analysis with dedicated software FocusTune of more than 200 shots for every adjustment value-10/0/10, 10 of each, (yeah, I had a bit borring saturday at work ) in the same light condition there was no more than 5 millimeter deviation between the consistency on every value, still my set of -1 was closest to 0 line.

12-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Of my lenses the da 50 is the least reliable AF wise. I own a bunch of limiteds and the dal f2.4/35.

Can't seem to get consistency.
12-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

It is true to say that screw drive is noisy compared with SDM or DC focus mechanisms, but contrary to the review, the lens takes sharp photographs and is excellent value for a 50mm prime. To allow for factory tolerances, Pentax provides a fine adjustment feature in its cameras enabling users to tune their particular lens to the body they use.

To get a noticeably better lens in this range consider the SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM. It has silent and fast autofocus, is weather resistant, better for low light, comes with a lens hood, and is a wonderful piece of optical engineering. For APS-C it is a fine portrait lens, and for FF it does well as a standard prime (slight vignetting can be removed in PP) For all this you have to pay a much higher price!
12-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #7

At f1.8 is not fantastically accurate. By F2.8, on a properly working camera, it should be fine. That being said, the FA50mm F1.4 was better on my k-3.

12-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I received this lens when I purchased my KP. I almost sold it since I already had the FA 50mm F2.8 macro lens. I am glad I didn't. On my KP from 2.8 up it achieves focus fine. I mainly use it for shooting inside our church, which doesn't have the best lighting. I mostly use it a 3.5 to 4.0 because of the field of focus that is needed.
12-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If there are focus issues with the DA 50/1.8 it is news to me. Mine worked nicely with my K10D and now works well with my K-3.

Steve
12-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have to add to the trend of replies here. My copy (purchased used) is a great performer in every respect and the autofocus is really good when mounted on my K-5, my K-30 and even on my old z70 film body. No issues and no complaints.
12-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've had issues trying to get correct focus with the lens and my K-1, worst one being at night but on a fairly well lit street. I just bought the camera and the lens and took it to my trip to China, was showing off to my wife and explaining all the advantages of a dslr over her iphone, and then my combo wouldn't focus on a family group photo, was kind of embarassing She just pulled her phone out and took the shot. At that moment I thought "hmm, there goes my $2000, right down the drain"
12-02-2017, 03:01 AM   #12

In my experience the DA50 1.8 hunts a lot - especially in live view (K30 and K3). It is also distractingly noisy. If you are looking for a 50mm I personally wouldn't recommend this lens.
12-02-2017, 04:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my DA 50 1.8 and don't remember having focusing issues on my K-5 II regardless of aperture. I have not used it extensively, maybe 100 shots taken with it. My keeper rate was pretty good with this lens, perhaps better than usual, and I think it's a great portrait lens for a crop body owner that perhaps isn't looking for exacting perfection in his work.