Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The problem with a tube is that you lose focus for more distant objects. I deglassed a Vivitar 2X TC with A contacts. It works fine with P-TTL. I rarely an extension tube because I have other solutions that I prefer. My normal setup is the D FA 100mm macro with the HD 1.4X RC, but the Kenko 1.5X TC works nearly as well. Raynox diopters are very easy to use and support P-TTL, but exact a small IQ penalty.

Here's a great site for macro tips, gear and techniques: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/
This page shows a calculator for tube magnification: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/extension-tubes/#calculator
Info on Raynox diopters: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/extreme-macro-closeup-lenses/

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-08-2017 at 10:56 AM.
12-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I still have an *ist D for this sole reason [TTL flash].
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I bought an *istDS secondhand for that reason. (It was under $100 and in perfect working order). It works great with the AF080C ringflash I bought here in the forums.

Same here (almost) -- I was able to obtain a pristine *ist DS2 (basically the same as a DS but with a larger LED display for my older-than-dirt eyes), that I use with an AF080C ring flash (or sometimes with an AF280T flash) along with an A 50/2.8 Macro, as my "dedicated eBay/Marketplace pics rig". Good ol' TTL works great with an *ist D, an *ist DS, or an *ist DS2.

12-08-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@audiobomber - this may be so, but when I take a macro picture I am almost always doing so as a deliberate thing, rather than with the aim of having a walkaround rig that I can switch to in an instant. Therefore I don't mind mounting and unmounting the repurposed teleconverter plus whatever lens I chose to go in front of it. Until I ran out of steam earlier this year, I regarded it as an inexpensive way to have macro capability regardless of which lens I was singling with.

That being said, I do have a Super-Multi-Coated Tak 50/4 which I bought specifically as my Spotmatic F's daytime walkaround lens in the summer months. I don't need a fast lens under those circumstances, and even a 1:2 macro offers me plenty of flexibility and opportunity while giving the same open-aperture metering on the fly as K-mount.