Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 105mm Macro EX vs EX DG???

Can anyone tell me if there is any major difference between the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG macro and the non DG version of the same lens? I know that the DG version has a new digital lens coating but besides that is there really that much of a difference? I have an opportunity to buy the non DG version for just under $300 US and I was wondering if I was getting a decent deal.

Any thought would be appriciated.

08-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OH, I guess I should have added that this lens is still new (old stock)
08-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No one has any experience with the EX version vs the EX DG version of this lens?
08-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have not used the lens, but here FM Reviews - 105mm f2.8 EX Macro 1:1 Lens are 63 reviews, by owners, of the non-DG model. From what I can discern, you are getting a good deal--very good--it is a great lens.

Note, while the reviews here are for the non-DG model, the adds look to be for the DG model. I hope this helps some and best of luck.

08-29-2008, 03:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my research before buying the 105 DG a few weeks ago the only difference I could conjecture was a change in the coatings more tailored to digital sensors. As far as I could tell the two were physically identical in all other ways except for the name. Your lens would be about $75 less than I paid for the DG...........
08-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

There are additional coatings on the rear element of the DG model. They are supposed to help with using the lens on a digital camera. I think if you go to the Sigma website, they explain it better. And of course the finish is a little different. From what I can tell of DG vs. non-DG, folks don't think the lack of rear coatings is too much of an issue.

I had the DG version of the 105mm macro, and it was great! Very sharp, well built. I used it more of a telephoto candids lens, so I sold it once I got the DA* 50-135mm. I never got too much into macro. I didn't like sitting two inches from a bug for hours on end
08-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I went to the Sigma website prior to posting this question. Besides the new coating, the DG version has 11 elements in 10 groups vs 10 elements in 9 groups for the non DG model. Obviously they changed something internally in the lens. I just didnt know if this would make much of a noticible difference.

I read through the reviews from the link posted by Jewelltrail (thank you) and just looked at the older reviews. Seems as if everyone was very happy with the performance of the non DG model.

thanks again for all the assistance

07-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Thanks for the replies. I went to the Sigma website prior to posting this question. Besides the new coating, the DG version has 11 elements in 10 groups vs 10 elements in 9 groups for the non DG model. Obviously they changed something internally in the lens. I just didnt know if this would make much of a noticible difference.

I read through the reviews from the link posted by Jewelltrail (thank you) and just looked at the older reviews. Seems as if everyone was very happy with the performance of the non DG model.

thanks again for all the assistance
I know that this thread is old, but I just acquired this non DG model from Fleabay for $208. I will post some shots when I get it.