Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
PentaxPoke,

Is that a new CEAT building? I spent a year in the Architecture program at OSU and I didn't have a nice building like that to go to class in... Your pics bring me back to the early '90s!

Russell
Russell, Architecture is getting a huge expansion to thier building now! The building in the picture is part of the CEAT research facilities. The campus has changed quite a bit from the 90's. Come back for a game or something sometime!

08-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Now I just have to figure out what Pentax gear to spend my DA*16-50 credit on. 31 ltd? I have the 35. 77ltd? I have the DA*50-135 that is sharper at that focal length according to Photozone tests.

I could use some help on this decision. It will take my mind off my dissapointment over the DA*16-50...
1) Not joking, but maybe if you were able to get a S/N 903xxxx series DA*16-50 - it might be good. I thought I saw one person post that they had gotten one beyond the 902's and it was good.

2) Even though I also already have the DA* 50-135mm, I do find the 77 Ltd interesting. While I realize that the newer DA 70 Ltd has better sharpness across the FOV, the 77 Ltd is also FF compatible (if that is of any concern). Also for certain portraiture or ~100mm tele work, the 77Ltd (or 70Ltd) would be considerably more maneuverable and less imposing.

3) Wide Angle: I'm thinking that if I want to get a really decent 16/17/18mm image that the DA 12-24mm would put those f.l. right in the middle of its range.

4) I have the 10-17mm fish-eye. It's a fun lens with some unique creative capabilities, but one also needs to refrain from over doing it.

5) Too bad the 14 is not regarded that highly, but then again I have never had the opportunity to try one.

6) I don't know if you have any interest in going longer. Earlier this week B&H had a used DA* 200mm listed for $799.
08-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
P.S. I was joking about the brick walls, it's a simple diagnostic for what you used it for and for focus and centering issues, I've just seen so many people buy lenses and shoot only brick walls and return it without ever trying them in the real world...
Actually when I was shooting brick walls or newspaper taped to the wall I also swapped out the DA* lens I was trying and shot some corresponding photos with my 18-55 AL II lens for control/comparison purposes. I was fully expecting that the DA* 16-50 would have the kit lens for lunch, which my third one did in terms contrast, color, and sharpness in the center and left side. However, when the kit lens out resolved the DA* lens (that cost over 6x the price) across the right quarter of the image, the DA* price tag was a little had to accept for the benefit of dust and weather proofing.
08-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imagination4 Quote
4) I have the 10-17mm fish-eye. It's a fun lens with some unique creative capabilities, but one also needs to refrain from over doing it.
Little lakers comment got me thinking about that fish-eye. I have never owned one, and I am kind of intrigued. I have most focal lengths covered except the extreme long end and the extreme short end. What do you think about the fisheye? When you say "over doing it" what are you refering to?

BTW, I have started the process for the third DA*16-50 return with B&H. The saga continues....

08-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Little lakers comment got me thinking about that fish-eye. I have never owned one, and I am kind of intrigued. What do you think about the fisheye? When you say "over doing it" what are you refering to?
As I'm sure you aware of, a Fish-Eye will distort images (most noticeable on straight lines). Photographing with one underwater - no big issue. However, if one has an album of {nearly} all Fish-Eye photos, it can become somewhere between obnoxious to boring. Used sparingly, it can produce some quite interesting and/or creative perspectives. However, imagine a whole album of this and it would start to look like the Fish-Eye is being used a s a crutch for lack of creativity (instead of an occasional use to accent something).

That said, the Fish-Eye effect of the DA 10-17 at 17mm is greatly reduced.
Attached Images