Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Voïgtlander 125mm APO Macro Lens (K Mount)... how much?

Six months ago I thought about starting macro photog and went on my search for the best lens I could afford. One site still had 2 Voïgtlander left with the K Mount. Pretty much every forums said the Voïgtlander was one of the best macro lens to ever touch the surface of Planet Earth, so I went for it. Paid 750$ then if memory serves.

Today I realize, I'll never use it to its full extent. A prime 125mm for studio photog, which is where I am heading, is WAY too limiting for my needs. I rarely if ever do macro photog... and this lens has been perfectly preserved.

I want to sell it and get the 50-135mm DA* instead, which will serve me so much better.

I know it has been discontinued, but I've never sold photog equipment before, and I don't think eBAY will get the attention this lens deserve.

Anyone know how much it would be worth now, and where's the best place to sell it? I tried Craiglist for the 50-200mm I tried to sell, and have had 4 scam attemps already, and not genuine interest.

Thank you!

08-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TigerLord Quote
Six months ago I thought about starting macro photog and went on my search for the best lens I could afford. One site still had 2 Voïgtlander left with the K Mount. Pretty much every forums said the Voïgtlander was one of the best macro lens to ever touch the surface of Planet Earth, so I went for it. Paid 750$ then if memory serves.

Today I realize, I'll never use it to its full extent. A prime 125mm for studio photog, which is where I am heading, is WAY too limiting for my needs. I rarely if ever do macro photog... and this lens has been perfectly preserved.

I want to sell it and get the 50-135mm DA* instead, which will serve me so much better.

I know it has been discontinued, but I've never sold photog equipment before, and I don't think eBAY will get the attention this lens deserve.

Anyone know how much it would be worth now, and where's the best place to sell it? I tried Craiglist for the 50-200mm I tried to sell, and have had 4 scam attemps already, and not genuine interest.

Thank you!
One word: priceless! In other words: I won't be selling mine

To actually answer your question: I think they now go for around 1000 USD or more (a recent price for the Canon mount was around 1500 USD). Still less than the Zeiss equivalent which sells for 1500 euros, if my memory serves me.

Best regards,
Boucicaut

Edit: these are for new lenses, not used
08-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

Why dont you sell it online on this site... we have a Sellers section?
08-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Now you are looking at 1000 US dollars or so.

08-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

never mind see you sold it

Last edited by philmorley; 08-28-2008 at 05:03 PM.
08-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope I didnt, someone told me I could get 1400 so Im gonna try getting around 1100-1300 here and see. I posted an ad with images for interested parties.

As much as it priceless for some it is almost useless to me. For portrait might be cool but the fact it is manual focus makes it difficult at times, unless you can get far enough and leave it at infinite focus... this lens deserves someone who will use it like it was meant to!

Thanks for your help!
08-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The lens actually has a very good manual focus feel. It is a excellent lens with stellar performance. You should keep it for a while before selling it. No seller's regret.

frank uses the lens for street candids and works out very well. The lens is really capable of multi-tasking.

08-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My images of VL 125 macro here

Voigtlander 125 macro

08-29-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

it's a beautiful lens, and yes I would expect you to get around $1250 for mint condition here or on ebay.
08-29-2008, 04:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just wondering, Tiger; your lens went up on eBay around midnight and then was removed. Did you decide to keep it, or sell it in some other way?
08-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After I put it on eBAY I got a PM offer on another forum from someone I know well. We agreed to the sale at 1600$ and the guy called me at home by telephone because he wanted to me to know how serious he was and how bad he had wanted one of these basically forever. He told me he would arrange payment for the morning. So I asked my brother to remove it. He told me it already has "11" watchers. Seeing the last brand new lens had sold for 1400$, I thought 1600$ for my used one was pretty much a good deal!

So I went to bed, and already had remorse. I mean, the ONLY reason I wanted to sell the Voigtländer is because I am impatient and wanted the DA* 50-135mm right away. In 3 weeks I'll be able to afford this lens not problem. The DA* 50-135mm will still be available in 3 weeks, but the Voigtländer won't. So I was thinking, "What have I done?".

So I fall asleep, and I had the MOST bizzare dream. I was shooting in the wild and kept wanting to reach for the Voïgtlander in my bag, would get it out and as I was going to put it on my camera it would vanish in smoke... over and over. And I just kept running or something, like a lion was chasing me.

When I woke up this morning, I knew I should have never sold it. So I kept thinking "What do I do now?". I get up and go at the PC, open my mails and see this:
"Hi xxxxxxxx,

The reason I wanted to wait until morning was to clear it with the wife to avoid another fight. She knows how long I waited before finding this lens in good condition, but nonetheless, I thought I'd avoid a fight.

I have bad news. She arrived home in tears because she lost her job. So as angry as I am, I really can't justify spending 1575$ on a lens right now. I am really, really, really sorry. You just have no idea.

If you're still interested to sell it in a few weeks or months, drop me a mail please!
Regards,
xxxx"

HA! A sign from God? Now I'm an Atheist but surely there is a Pentax God, and he wanted me to keep this lens.

So I will. Won't sell it. Ever again. I promise! Call yesterday a momentarily lapse in judgment!
08-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ha! What a story! Thanks for letting us know. I think you'll not regret keeping it - in any case it's almost like money in the bank. at least that's how I think of mine as I continue dreaming of the FA* 200 Macro............
08-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteQuote:
HA! A sign from God? Now I'm an Atheist but surely there is a Pentax God, and he wanted me to keep this lens.
haha! for a fellow atheist that's hilarious, good on you, I can only imagine the remorse id have selling such a lens (if I owned one that is!)