Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

The problem is mainly related to the relative opportunity. Very bright aurora is relatively rare, and we are in the down-cycle of activity since the 2013-14 peak - bottoming out in 2020-21. So, you are likely to get only relatively moderate activity this winter. Faster and wider lenses, preferably primes, are your best bet. The Samyang 14 and 8mm for APSc are possibly good enough - but who knows? The best options are going to be expensive, of course.

The two Samyangs have minimal coma issues (assuming good copies), better than nearly any zoom. Coma is a critical concern for any astrophotography application.

04-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Original Poster Here --- Sharing this link of some of the photos I took with various lenses and settings --- thanks for your suggestions. If I have the chance to go again, I'll try to get a wide angle fast prime. I can't say which of my lenses were the best. I was just happy that we saw the Aurora and that I was able to get any shots at all.

First Attempt at Northern Lights Part 2 - PentaxForums.com