Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
If you could keep only one, which one and why?

Hi,

I might need to sell some of my older manual focus lenses.
So I am asking which one would you keep of these three? And which one would you get rid of first?

A 28/2
K 35/2
K 24/2.8

Thanks!

12-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It depends on the sensor format, what you like to photograph, what field of view you like to work with best, and what other lenses you own.

Your profile shows you have a K-5IIs, so I assume your question applies to APS-C format. Given that - and assuming you're happy with the stop-down metering - my choice would be to keep the K 35/2. I like working with 35mm lenses on APS-C... not surprising, really, since the field of view is equivalent to a 50mm lens on full-frame. It's a great general-purpose field of view for many types of photography. Extremely versatile, and especially so with the relatively-fast f/2 aperture.

I'd probably lose the K 24/2.8 first, but that's very much a personal thing, as I rarely go below 28mm on my APS-C cameras. Then again, you own the FA31 Ltd, so you might be better off getting rid of the A 28/2 first, since the field of view and max aperture aren't significantly different. You have that field of view more or less covered
12-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All of those seem like really nice lenses! Since you also have FA 31mm, maybe keep the K 24mm. 35mm and 28mm are close to the 31mm in FoV
12-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It depends on the sensor format, what you like to photograph, what field of view you like to work with best, and what other lenses you own.

Your profile shows you have a K-5IIs, so I assume your question applies to APS-C format. Given that - and assuming you're happy with the stop-down metering - my choice would be to keep the K 35/2. I like working with 35mm lenses on APS-C... not surprising, really, since the field of view is equivalent to a 50mm lens on full-frame. It's a great general-purpose field of view for many types of photography. Extremely versatile, and especially so with the relatively-fast f/2 aperture.

I'd probably lose the K 24/2.8 first, but that's very much a personal thing, as I rarely go below 28mm on my APS-C cameras. Then again, you own the FA31 Ltd, so you might be better off getting rid of the A 28/2 first, since the field of view and max aperture aren't significantly different. You have that field of view more or less covered
Sorry, forgot to say that I have a KP but planning to try these lenses on some old film cameras as well.
But I am also interested to hear how you think that these lenses compare against each other in your opinion. I haven't had a chance to try the 24mm yet but the other two seems to be optically quite good.

12-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
Sorry, forgot to say that I have a KP but planning to try these lenses on some old film cameras as well.
Again, purely considering the versatile field of view on APS-C, but also on full-frame where it's a popular wide angle choice, I'd keep the 35/2.

But I am also interested to hear how you think that these lenses compare against each other in your opinion. I haven't had a chance to try the 24mm yet but the other two seems to be optically quite good.
Here, I can't help, I'm afraid, as I don't own those specific lenses... only other models with the same fields of view.

I think this is going to be an extremely difficult question for anyone to answer meaningfully, as so much depends on your intended use cases, and even then our answers will be highly subjective based on our own preferences (which probably won't be the same as yours). Still, I'll be interested to see what other folks think
12-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
A 28/2
Without question this one... and then give to me, to update my "Street Lady" (Pentax-A 28mm F2.8) with her faster cousin.
12-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Again, purely considering the versatile field of view on APS-C, but also on full-frame where it's a popular wide angle choice, I'd keep the 35/2.

Here, I can't help, I'm afraid, as I don't own those specific lenses... only other models with the same fields of view.

I think this is going to be an extremely difficult question for anyone to answer meaningfully, as so much depends on your intended use cases, and even then our answers will be highly subjective based on our own preferences (which probably won't be the same as yours). Still, I'll be interested to see what other folks think
Thanks, I appreciate your comments!

Yeah, I guess these lenses are quite rare so maybe there is not too many people who have tried all of them.

12-13-2017, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The A 28mm f2.0 lives in the shadow of the K 28mm f2.0 so is often under-estimated but it is a superb lens in its own right - this would first on my "keeper" list.

The K 24mm f2.8 is a very nice lens but personally I don't think it's quite is the same quality as the other two (and isn't as "fast") - this would be the one I would sell first.

The K 35mm f2.0 is great as a "Standard" lens on APS-C and excellent as a moderate wide on FF.

Good Luck with your decisions
12-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep the K24. That is likely the hardest one to find when you want to buy again the ones you're selling!
12-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
Keep the K24. That is likely the hardest one to find when you want to buy again the ones you're selling!
Really?

I haven't seen many A 28mm f2's around either. Thought there are a lot of other lenses around 30mm but not that many primes around 24mm.