Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #1

Is this a Ricoh pin?

I just picked up this Sears auto 200mm f3.5 prime with M42 mount.
Is this a Ricoh pin or is it for the auto aparture? If it is a Ricoh pin, will it still cause a problem once it is
mounted on a M42 to K mount adapter?

Attached Images

12-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Auto Aperture pin. The Ricoh pin is further out on the lens mount.

Regards

Chris
12-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

"Ricoh pins" are found on K mount lenses, not M42 ones.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4141/4921799547_b9c218a710_b.jpg

From what I've heard it's not the ones with a rounded end (like the one in the linked image) but the flat ended ones that are the problem. Haven't encountered it myself, though; others here undoubtedly have. I'm sure they'll chime in.
12-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The pin in your photo is found on most M42 lenses. It is the aperture actuator pin and poses little or no hazard to your camera.*

The notorious Ricoh pin, on the other hand, is only found on the Ricoh-P K-mount variant and is on the mount face were it might foul on the AF drive pawl on Pentax AF cameras.

Steve

* The actuator pin on a small number of lenses may strike the power contacts deep in the KAF2 mount. If so, one can feel a light tick as the lens is mounted or removed.

12-13-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

K-Mount Ricoh Pin:

Be aware that this is found not only on Ricoh lenses but also on some other third party film era lenses.
12-14-2017, 04:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. This is my first M42 lens on a K-Mount
so I just wanted to make sure.
12-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That pin is engaged in older cameras to close the aperture when metering (usually pushing the metering button would press on this pin and stop the lens down to it's set value per the aperture ring). It was also used if the camera had a depth of field preview function so the subject could be seen through the viewfinder with the set aperture. The disadvantage of this type of system is that the viewfinder would darken while metering so continuous metering was out of the question.

In those older cameras, the camera would depress the pin while the picture was being taken, closing the aperture to the desired value, and once that was done, the aperture would pop back to wide open for viewfinder purposes.

The lens can be used with an adapter on K mount cameras, but the problem I encountered is that the pin isn't depressed so if the lens doesn't have a manual switch (located on the side of the lens), there's no way to get the set aperture (other than wide open) when taking a picture.

12-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Be aware that this is found not only on Ricoh lenses but also on some other third party film era lenses.
These may often be found with the designation P-KA/R or similar, as they were built to be compatible in feature set with both the Pentax-A and Ricoh's Rikenon-P series. My Kalimar 2X teleconverter (which I bought deglassed as an extension tube) is an example of such, but it has the rounded pin, which is safe.
12-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
Thanks for the replies. This is my first M42 lens on a K-Mount
so I just wanted to make sure.
Better safe than sorry

You are not the first person to ask about the aperture actuator in relation to the Ricoh pin risk.

Steve