Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Can anyone recommend an M42 to K-mount adapter?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bought an M42 screw mount lens and want to use it on my k5.
I see cheap ones on ebay for like $5, but they are not rated very highly,
and even though they say that they allow infinity focus, the reviews
Say that is not true. Then I can find genuine Pentax adapters, but they
run around $50. Does anyone know of an adapter brand that works correctly
and allows infinity focus but is in the $20 range?

12-14-2017, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fotodiox. I have two, paid $12 for one $10 for the other. They work exactly like my Pentax adapter, but I did remove the lock which is held on by a small screw because there is the possibility of the adapter jamming (though it never happened to me).

You can find them on eBay, Amazon, B&H or Adorama.
12-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Keep searching eBay. You can get a genuine adapter for less than $30...for example...with shipping a little over $30...

Genuine Asahi Pentax K / M42 Mount Adapter | eBay

It amazes me that anyone would pay $50 or more for one...
12-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #4

It's funny - 6 or 7 years ago when the genuine adapters were going new for $25-30 they were going for around $50 on the used market (eBay). Of course this was when they would show up in stock once or twice a year and sell out rapidly. Now that the price for new is around $50 the used market is around $25-30. They always seem to be in stock (new) now.

12-15-2017, 12:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Keh currently has a couple on their site for sale: Pentax Adapter Screw Mount To K-Mount at KEH Camera Store
12-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you are patient enough, you will get a genuine one for a good price.
Check every day for new listings, I do it and every time I see one for less than 20 €/$ I buy it.
Now I have 4 of them, all genuine. Apart from LBA do I suffer ABA?
12-15-2017, 02:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd stick to the genuine ones, they're not that hard to find. I bought two then got another as part of a bunch of film gear I bought. People have had bad experiences with some third-party ones, especially them getting stuck on cameras.

12-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I bought an M42 screw mount lens and want to use it on my k5.
I see cheap ones on ebay for like $5, but they are not rated very highly,
and even though they say that they allow infinity focus
As long as you buy the kind without a flange they will allow infinity focus. The main problem with the cheap ones is that the alignment of the threading seems to be completely random. At least two of my cheapo adapters will leave the lens upside down on the camera. Not that it bothers me too much.

And I always, always, always remove the locking spring on those adapters.
12-15-2017, 06:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If not the genuine Asahi ones, I've found the higher quality third party ones to say things like "Body mount P/K M42" or things like that, rather than to be completely devoid of information. The best third-party adapters seem to be from the era when the real thing was commonly available in stores; the third-party companies knew their product had to be quality stuff. Now they know they have a more or less captive market.
12-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Fotodiox. I have two, paid $12 for one $10 for the other. They work exactly like my Pentax adapter, but I did remove the lock which is held on by a small screw because there is the possibility of the adapter jamming (though it never happened to me).

You can find them on eBay, Amazon, B&H or Adorama.
I also have the Fotodiox adapter -- it seems decently made, it works at infinity focus, the price was good ($12) and mine came with the little lock/unlock spanner key. I've left the little lock tab in place and had no problems although it sometimes seems a bit fidgety to get the adapter into the mount.

I don't know if the genuine adapter is better but the Fotodiox is good enough.
12-15-2017, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1 for fotodiox. I remove the spring latch also. I slightly over tighten the lens on the adapter and just leave them together so it acts kind of like a K lens.
12-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #12

You can always on eBay do an advanced search and include terms like "original" or "genuine" and the price range. Once you get a search that gives the results you want you can save it and set it to send you email updates on hits.

My advice for bidding on eBay is to ask you self honestly what the most you are willing to (and can afford) to pay for an item. Enter that as your proxy bid or into a sniping program/service and don't even bother following the auction until it is done. If someone outbids you before, walk away. Unless it is a truly one of a kind item another of the same item will be listed again in time. And your saved search will notify you.