Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:5.6/400

I just bought this lens at an online auction and it was delivered today. As it was around freezing outside I waited a while
for it to get to room temperature to examine my new purchase.
Sadly, there is no rear glass element on this lens, and the nearest glass to the screw mount is about 6 inches away.

Since the lens won't focus, and diagrams I've seen of the lens groups show a rear element, I am assuming there is
something missing.
There is no 'mechanics' inside the mount as some lenses have when the rear element is not right at the mount either.

Anyone who owns or has handled one of these lenses like to affirm my assumption, please feel free to respond.

Mike

12-18-2017, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AdirondackMike Quote
I just bought this lens at an online auction and it was delivered today. As it was around freezing outside I waited a while
for it to get to room temperature to examine my new purchase.
Sadly, there is no rear glass element on this lens, and the nearest glass to the screw mount is about 6 inches away.

Since the lens won't focus, and diagrams I've seen of the lens groups show a rear element, I am assuming there is
something missing.
There is no 'mechanics' inside the mount as some lenses have when the rear element is not right at the mount either.

Anyone who owns or has handled one of these lenses like to affirm my assumption, please feel free to respond.

Mike
I have this Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:5.6/400mm lens.
The rear is the M42 screw mount and the rear element is about 5" in.
I have used it with a M42 to M 4/3 adapter and it works fine.
I took this pic the day after I got it

---------- Post added 12-18-17 at 06:27 PM ----------

I should have added that the minimum focus distance is about 26 feet. If you tried to focus on something closer, maybe that's why you think it doesn't focus.
What camera are you using it with?
You should take it outside tomorrow and try it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G7  Photo 
12-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have a K 5ll, which I haven't attached it to yet.
I will do so tomorrow.
I've not had a lens that I can't look through the back and focus before,
and the distance was at Christmas lights across the street at a couple of]\
neighbors' houses.

Will experiment tomorrow with camera attached.
The lens, while not like new, is otherwise in very
good shape. I'd love for it to work.
Will update tomorrow.

Thanks
12-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
OK,
Attached lens to camera...it does focus and take pics.
Rearmost lens is just pretty dirty. I'll need to figure out something to clean it with.
Buy a lens pen and attach it to something, I guess. I'd hate to take it apart unless I have to.

Thanks again for your response blumoon722, and great pic.

Mike