Photos: Gallery
It's pretty well the same thing no?

Pat

08-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #17
Banned

m a y b e
08-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #18

confession

I have to confess I am LBA. However I can manage my finance too. Never go to credit card company for funding lenses.

The solution: be a grown-up LBA who knows the limits
08-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanchaz2002 Quote
I have to confess I am LBA. However I can manage my finance too. Never go to credit card company for funding lenses.

The solution: be a grown-up LBA who knows the limits
much easier said than done, and this goes for everything.

08-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
Banned

easy just don't own a credit card. I don't own one and have so far never needed one. don't own a mobile phone either.
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Rental

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
my name is Serge

and i'm a lens buying addict, no joke
One thought that helps me today is the concept of lens rental.

I buy lenses.

I try lenses.

I sell lenses (here or ebay).

If I sell for less than I bought, the difference is lens rental.

I have become a much more discriminating buyer in the last 5 years, both because I know I will likely sell a lens back, and knowing another chance for a K135/2.5 will come along.

I also take pictures (I'm at work or I would attach some from my recent DC trip).

I've told myself if I don't take pictures with a lens for 6 months it must be sold. I have sold lenses that I NEVER took a picture with, but it sure felt great to have them for a while (I don't expect anyone to understand this).

My equipment list is much smaller now that it was June 1st.
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I have to admit that I suffer from LBA a little but I sell my unused lens in order to buy a diffrent lens still have yet to find a complete set of glass that has made me totally happy but getting there I think
08-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
To the OP in dpreview I suggested perusing the M-club thread - you can pretty much go crazy with some very good M glass and end up spending less than 1/2 of a Zeiss .
all he has left now is the M50 1.7, hopefully he can contribute

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
easy just don't own a credit card. I don't own one and have so far never needed one. don't own a mobile phone either.
credit cards are awesome if you pay them on time and use them responsibly. credit cards should not be used to borrow money which is the mistake lots of people make. a proper loan would be more appropriate

--

after i got my FA Limiteds, i fell into anti-LBA and got rid of a bunch of lenses i wasn't using or duplicated. no point being a collector as nice as it is to have a set. if i have too many lenses, it's hard to learn how to use each one well.

however i admit have a huge urge to get another body (not necessarily Pentax).

08-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

My rule is to buy something I either have to sell off something, or make some extra money outside of my "day job" I do music/web design (and now photography!) to make some $$$$$ so the family budget doesn't suffer.

My problem now is I really want the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L, but I ran out of stuff to sell when I got my Canon gear. oops.....
08-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #25
Inactive Account

I'm done with my LBA and all my lenses are keepers.

The only lens I will be buying is the 15mm Limited, when/if it becomes a reallity.

If I can afford it, I will buy FA 31&77mm f/1.8 Limited when the new K30D comes in 2009/10.
08-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

One piece of advice that I gave to the OP in the DPReview post was that once he gets his finances in better shape and starts wanting to add to his kit, to save up the money first, so he can buy his lenses guilt-free.

As to what I'm about to say, this does apply only to some people, not everybody. I just want to make that clear...
As much as I love the forums I'm on, some people seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to their lenses. They assume that if they don't have the most expensive lenses, then any pics they take with less expensive lenses will be simply mediocre. Obviously, most of us know better. I think that at least for some people, it puts unnecessary pressure on them, both emotional and financial, to get these rather expensive lenses (ie FA31), rather than go with something more reasonably priced, but still of excellent quality.

Just my thoughts...
Heather
08-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
I'm done with my LBA and all my lenses are keepers.

The only lens I will be buying is the 15mm Limited, when/if it becomes a reallity.

If I can afford it, I will buy FA 31&77mm f/1.8 Limited when the new K30D comes in 2009/10.
So you're done with LBA, except for those ?
08-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
As much as I love the forums I'm on, some people seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to their lenses. They assume that if they don't have the most expensive lenses, then any pics they take with less expensive lenses will be simply mediocre. Obviously, most of us know better.
I know about that... it's one of the reason I post very little on a local french language photography forum... The canikon snobbery I can live with... but the "I have the most expensive lens/camera and your cheap ones suck" attitude gets to me.

Fact is, when I go take pictures at a fire scene, my *best* work has been done with fully manual el-cheapo M50 1.7 and the much derised Takumar baillonet 135 2.8 (both bought because at the time thats all I could afford for low light glass). The same can be said of my pictures of wild flowers at my country house.

One of the things I LOVE about this board is that so many folks can stand up and say "hey hold on! you do not need the latest, most expensive toy to make good photos!" Maybe it's a common trait of Pentax owners...

I'm sure being bombarded with that kind of "attitude" definetly does not help the addictions of someone who is already a compulsive buyer.

Pat
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

In the past I was an audiophile. I'd read all the mags, worry and obsess because one in particular (Absolute Sound) was written in that sort of mode (and of course totally denied and defended - Oh NO we're all about the MUSIC). Not that I spent a ton of money, but I did buy into some of the ethos.

Until, that is, I started building my own equipment (8 watts!) and using/modding vintage. Suddenly, I was free: I had something that did not have to compete with modern stuff, and having built them I actually knew how they worked.

With cameras and lenses, it's the same thing: a Takumar or two will set you free... a vintage camera will break the need for the latest and greatest geegaw... and actually using every piece for actual photography (i.e. not "lens testing" ) will teach you how things actually work and how you can work them.

That's if you're a photographer/collector rather than a collector of course.
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #30
Kei

I just finished my rounds in fleabay, having my eyes on several items then came across this thread. Eyecup, straps, camera backpack...etc....Whew that was close.....now I need to think hard and decide if I really need those stuffs

The good thing is I keep track of my spending on a spreadsheet to counter the buying itch; and learn to appreciate what can be done with I have on hand.