Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is one of the best I have read on the Forums for quite a while.
Many very sensible comments and much good advice.
LBA is very real and is something I am very wary of.
I read the Marketplace items and think "would love that" or "that is just what I want".
How many times however, just when I am about to hit the button I pull back saying, "Do I really need this"
Photography is about taking photos and not collecting more and more expensive gear.
Thats the beauty of Pentax : Takumar, M, Fa etc lens are as good today on todays cameras as they ever were.
My advice is, concentrate on taking photos, and if it is not as good a photo as you would want look at the technique, the settings etc and have another go. Dont blame the lens in the first instance, but only if it becomes obvious that there lies the fault. Then, and only then seek to replace it.
Most of all , update by all means, but within your means and without the creditcard.

Enought of my raving... just keep clicking folks and enjoy it, thats the main thing

08-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
I'm done with my LBA and all my lenses are keepers.

The only lens I will be buying is the 15mm Limited, when/if it becomes a reallity.

If I can afford it, I will buy FA 31&77mm f/1.8 Limited when the new K30D comes in 2009/10.
That's part of the danger - lots of people confess "no more" or "I'm complete now" and then something 'new & improved' comes along to challenge that contentment. The lie of 'needing' that new thing becomes a compulsion to desire it, and then it's bought with money that's not there and lots of reasons justifying the purchase.

Exercising discipline may be easier said than done, but it's far better than silent envy.

Learn to appreciate the capabilities and get the most out of what you have, then you'll appreciate the results you get.
08-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
So you're done with LBA, except for those ?

If money falls from the skies some day I would buy the 31, 43 and 77mm limited series and the future APS-C body. But that's not happening

A wide angel lens like the 15mm is a sure thing. I want the 14mm, but it's too big. The reason for my LBA are small prime's.

I can explain all of my lens purchase's

FA 35mm - first prime lens, I thought the 50mm was too tight indoors.
DA 70mm - portrait lens. I almost bought this one in Norway, but I contacted my lens dealer in Hong Kong and got the 70mm and the FA 50mm for the same price as the 70mm in Norway.
FA 50mm - I had to wait 10 days before I got the DA 70mm, it was worth it. I can say this one was free, gratis, no charge.
FA 28mm - LBA, LBA, LBA... bought this one from Pentax Norway. Full price! Over 500 USD! Didn't find this lens "brand new" on ebay.
DA 21mm and DA 40mm - They will be delivered by UPS next week I probably need the 21mm now and then, but I bought the 40mm just to have the full collection of DA pancake prime's. It's cheap, so why not?

I also bought the "plastic-tube". A Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 and the only reason I bought it was to see if I needed the range. I did not, but I kept it just in case.

Lenses I don't really need and probably should have used the money on other stuff, like travel, are marked in red.
But I will be needing the FA lenses when I get the ZX-5 body.

Last edited by NorthPentax; 08-29-2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: nwe info
08-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
I just finished my rounds in fleabay, having my eyes on several items then came across this thread. Eyecup, straps, camera backpack...etc....Whew that was close.....now I need to think hard and decide if I really need those stuffs

The good thing is I keep track of my spending on a spreadsheet to counter the buying itch; and learn to appreciate what can be done with I have on hand.
i ALMOST bought a pentax 645 body last night for 150 + shipping on ebay

ALMOST, good thing i called my friend who talked me out of it... hahaha

08-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
To me, that's the biggest single influence - how many of us would even have LBA if it weren't for the forums? If they didn't exist, only very few of us would probably own more than, say, three lenses.

On the flip side, at least for me, the whole hobby would be only about 50% as enjoyable. Seeing others' photography, posting my own, reading about lenses... That's all part of the hobby for me.

To the OP in dpreview I suggested perusing the M-club thread - you can pretty much go crazy with some very good M glass and end up spending less than 1/2 of a Zeiss

Good post

We do come here for a reason, somtimes each of our reasons are different... but in the end it gets down to improving by gaining knowledge and giving back and sharing gained knowledge.

Desire to improve at times gets mixed up with thinking that a lens is the final solution to that improvement, so we feed that desire.

I wonder what vehicle most of us would be driving if in the case of this forum lenses were cars?

Neil
08-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

to those who say that we should stop caring and start shooting, there is a double argument in there

the more lenses you try, the more you understand how lenses behave and how they affect image out put

ultimetly, you WILL see a difference in the quality of one lens over another

and once you can start noticing that difference, the idea gets drilled into your head that "that one lens i havent tried yet might be better for ME than my current line up"

and this leads you on a quest to try those lenses.

like right now i'm really itching for a Sigma 20mm f1.8, people say its "not that good" , but i want to see this with my own eyes and be the judge of whether its good or not

and that, is a very serious condition.
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
like right now i'm really itching for a Sigma 20mm f1.8, people say its "not that good" , but i want to see this with my own eyes and be the judge of whether its good or not
I guess thats where a good old Photography Club could come in handy... where people meet up weekly and try each others lenses... just like the "good old days"

Pat

08-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote

If money falls from the skies some day I would buy the 31, 43 and 77mm limited series and the future APS-C body. But that's not happening

... I probably need the 21mm now and then, but I bought the 40mm just to have the full collection of DA pancake prime's. It's cheap, so why not?

...But I will be needing the FA lenses when I get the ZX-5 body.
Boy you're definitely having the symptoms of LBA big time.
How many times have I heard the same argument for getting the Limiteds... It's like some bizarre advertising jingle:

"FA Limiteds... collect all 3 now to complete your collection, with the DA Limiteds... only 4 to complete the collection"

I guess we can all justify our purchases one way or another. It's a fine line between being a collector and putting our lenses to work.
08-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #39
Veteran Member

There's nothing wrong with trying...it's when the things pile up and spend more time on the shelf that it becomes an issue.

I have 1 lens to get rid of, I never even used it. It's big, heavy, and cumbersome to use. There was a PKA attached to it, for way less than a PKA costs alone. I don't want to use it, so I say good day to it.

Just have to get around to listing it...
08-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #40
Veteran Member

As I've gone though the day thinking about all of this, I'm starting to reconsider getting a K20 real soon. There's a part of me that says if I get one, I'm just simply feeding my consumerism. I've had my K10 since February and now I'm wanting another body?

I think about the analogy of cars. You go out and buy a car that you really like. Just because they bring out a new and improved version of your model every year after, does that mean that you're going to go out trade your car in every year? For most of us, the answer would be a resounding NO--we just can't afford to do it, especially when the car we have is still a perfectly good one. My husband is a fine example of this. He has a 1995 Toyota Corolla that he bought brand new and still drives. Does it look that great? No, but he's going to drive it until it either dies or my car gets paid off. You can say the same with camera gear, especially bodies.

The only concern I have about the K10 is it's noise level at higher ISOs. That can be dealt with in a couple of ways--noise reduction software and being more liberal with using a flash with lower ISOs in low-light conditions. With that being said, it would make more sense to get some noise reduction software and a better flash that I can use in any mode, as opposed to my Sunpak 383, which has to be used in manual mode. I'm estimating that the total cost of a new flash, decent noise reduction software, and the Lightroom 2.0 upgrade will cost maybe half (if even that much) of a new K20.

The better flash will also help me better utilize the lenses I've already got, reducing, if not eliminating the need for super fast lenses.

One thing I'm thankful for is Camerapntrs.com/t/TUJGRktHSkJHRkpISUVCRkpOSkVN?url=lensrentals.com because if I get an itch to try a particular lens, I know that I may be able to rent it and that may be all that I need to scratch the itch. BTW, I emailed them the other day requesting a Bigma and found out that it's definitely on their shopping list. I don't need one right now, but in December, I'm going to Mom and Dad's in Tennessee and Dad is talking like he wants to go on a birding shoot and the Bigma would come in handy. Ordinarily, I don't need a lens that long, but knowing I can rent one whenever I do need it is a good thing.

Heather
08-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Very good topic for me. I'm one of those that have that chemistry so I have to be very aware of my behavior. But being aware doesn't always help.

Peter Zack had a thead going that addressed this issue in a lot of ways also https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33651-shoot-le...eam-about.html. I went back and forth about responding there and didn't so I think I will share this time around.

The big question asked is "do I really need that lens"
For me and all of us, it really is a needed question. But for me that is part of the dilemma.
I am new to the d-slr thing and much has changed since I first bought my camera back in January.
I used to be a very avid hiker so when I got my camera that was the first thing on mind. Landscape.
But due to some health issues, that has been put on the back burner for a time.
Anyway, that was the reason for the purchase of the Sigma 17-70 I used to own which would have been perfect for that.

Boy, I wish things were that simple. I could have kept my kit to just a couple lenses.

Well, since that time I have discovered I really enjoy birding/wildlife. I also discovered I like portrait also and have some ideas I would love to explore. ( I would have never thought I would take this up ) I'm not a people person.
Last but not least , Macro. Something very intriguing.
OOPs. Did I say last? What about bokeh? The painting and artistry one can do with different lenses.
So, I will ask that question agian. Do I really need it?

Well, finances do not allow me to just get what ever. So I do have to keep things in check. That is one thing that feeds the fire though because I am always looking for that killer deal. I have missed some unbelivable bargains. For example I seen a K 85 1.8 go for $100 on craigslist ( a thread topic states one went for over $1100 a week ago ). It can all get a bit insane.
My road map still has the addition of something 70-200 f/2.8. I would like the Nokton 58 for portrait and bokeh. And next season when I get back out hiking again I will want something wider than what I have.

On a positive note. I do see my self getting closer to being content so to speak. I have learned a lot from the lenses I have tried and sold. My last purchase slowed me down a bit.
I do get out and use all the lenses I buy but I do need to do it more often. And also, since I am a beginner I could open a book more often instead of browsing ebay and other markets. I think I want to take a class on photoghraphy.

I have much to learn!!
08-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote

The big question asked is "do I really need that lens"
Oren,
I followed the link to your Flickr gallery and am quite impressed. To answer your question...no, you don't need that lens. You are doing quite well without it!

I was also quite nostalgic. Looking over your landscapes, I saw many places that I have both been to and photographed. I spent many years of my younger life in the Seattle/Puget Sound/Olympic Peninsula area and seeing your pictures brought back fond memories of hikes, climbs, and camping trips. I think that maybe I have lived in Portland too long!

Steve

(Thanks again for the great pics...)
08-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve,

I do want to add as a second though.

I could have stayed with the kit 18-55 and kept the 70-300 I had and added a FA 50.
Would have been a loooot cheaper. But not as much fun

And if I would have just stayed with P&S

Last edited by OrenMc; 08-29-2008 at 08:11 PM.
08-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #44
Inactive Account

I have one big advantage over most of you who lives on the other side of the Atlantic ocean.
I don't loose money when I sell used lenses If I sell all of them today I probably would have earned 6-800USD.
08-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #45
Veteran Member

If you're unfortunate enough to have the brain chemistry of someone who is vulnerable to CSD/CBD, it's basically a matter of your brain releasing excess chemicals that create pleasure when you anticipate buying something. Combined with other factors, you become addicted to that feeling and the anticipation of pleasure so you keep buying things. Your brain is making you feel good just before you buy and then you start feeling down after you've completed the purchase, so you keep buying more things to maintain your "high."[/QUOTE]

Viable explanation. I'll buy that...