Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The FA 43 is my most-used lens on APS-C bodies. The FA 77 is on the K-1. If the FA 31 is in good shape at that price, you should buy it before it's not available. The FA Limited lenses are magic!

The feeling you have about needing the FA 31 wil be much stronger toward the 43 and 77 after you use the 31.

QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
Now all we need is a full frame equivalent to the DA 15 (more magic)
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Ditto on the FF equivalent to the DA15
We do, but it's not in production anymore. I traded my DA 15 for the FA* 24 with a Forums member. After never really getting along with the 15, the 24 is incredible.

K-1 and FA* 24

Last edited by builttospill; 12-20-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added image
12-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r3nx Quote
The wife doesn't mind, I can afford it,
That pretty much sums it up right there. Get one, a good used one, and enjoy. Then, sell one of the two. You'll enjoy your hobby more, and more importantly, you'll know, and the issue will be off your mind.

I had a lens issue like that and after reading endless reviews I decided it would be much better to just buy it. Reviews are great, but as far as lenses go, it can get somewhat personal. The only way to find out is to find out.
12-20-2017, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
Basically when I was buying the DA[L]35mm, I had already the FA35-70 (that actually is a pretty good lens itself) and a Mir-24 35 mm f/ 2. I very rarely shot the FA35-70 @35mm and I found that the Mir was hard to use.
I didn't really know that I would even use the DA35, but as the local shop had some major sales and my boy was about to be born, I figured why not (it was like 100€ NEW).

Now all of a sudden, I'm using the 35mm range most of the time.
So this absolutely checks out, that the lens defines your focal usage, not the actual focal length itself.

My sigma 400mm f5.6 was rendered absolutely pointless (even though it got me the best photo I have ever taken, a good time to show it off I guess ) for wildlife the day I got the 60-250 (and added the HD1,4x later), despite the focal length difference.

I guess that is normal photographic evolution. I don't see it that way, that I'm duplicating the focal length, instead I'm evolving to another level.
But still haven't decided tho. I'll probably call the guy in the weekend and see in what condition the lens is.
12-21-2017, 12:43 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it got me the best photo I have ever taken, a good time to show it off I guess
definitely one to be proud of

12-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it got me the best photo I have ever taken
Straight from the pages of Watership Down.

I thought for a second "Man, how did he get that close to a bunny with the FA31?"
12-21-2017, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #51

Go with your gut feeling! If you see a good deal go get it. You can resell if you do not like it or not use it enough. Afraid of wife? Just order it to your work address! I had a colleague who bought tools out of acquisition syndrome and got it delivered to our workplace instead of home.
12-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #52

Hello, I'm wondering how good the FA31 performance (sharpness and chromatic aberration) is wide open using the K-1? Does anyone have a comparison to the FA77? Thanks!

12-21-2017, 04:36 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are completely different lenses, so comparison is a little pointless, but here are some recent images.

FA31 stopped all the way down to f/2.0 To be fair, I think this is marginally front focussed.

The Sigma 35/1.4 Art is sharper wide open and has less CA, but it lacks the pixie dust in my opinion.

FA77 wide open. I did this in monochrome for "the look" rather than to mask any CA.

....and one in colour, but stopped down a little to f/2.8

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 12-21-2017 at 05:15 PM.
12-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #54

Sandy, thanks for the fast answer and great portraits!

I have the feeling that the FA31 is less sharp compared to the FA77...? I'm not sure... there are not many portraits wide open out there... But chromatic aberration seems to be on the same level as the FA77.

The Sigma 35mm is the sharpest of course, but I'm having huge issues with the AF above 10 feet :-( All the same with three copies :-( Maybe it's just my K-1...
12-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geiger Quote
Hello, I'm wondering how good the FA31 performance (sharpness and chromatic aberration) is wide open using the K-1? Does anyone have a comparison to the FA77? Thanks!
The FA31 has an aspherical element the FA77 lacks (part of the reason it costs more), so it helps win the sharpness battle:

Pentax SMC FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited - Lab Test / Review - Analysis

Pentax SMC-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis
12-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It’s a great price for the 31. The 77 is one of my favorite lenses on apsc and the first FA Limited I purchased. Soon after came the 43, another gem. I’ve bought several 35’s before breaking down for the 31. On my K3 it’s good, I do like it. But as soon as I stuck it on my MZ-6 with a roll of color film, it’s another world. I can’t seem to remove it. Have plans for a K1? Then it’s a must have!
12-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The FA 31 is a really nice lens. I echo others concerns that maybe it isn't the focal length that needs attention most in your line up. I guess the other question is whether you are planning to get a full frame camera down the road. If you are, then the FA 31 is a no-brainer. It's a really nice wide angle, fast but still small, very well built lens. You won't find that set of attributes in most lens line ups. But of course it is quite expensive. And on APS-C it ends up being a 50-ish mm equivalent lens -- still usable for landscapes, but not as attractive to me as lenses in the 15-20mm range.

Fence Post in the Snow (FA 31 limited)

(flickr link: Fence Post in the Snow | Vincent1825 | Flickr)

Horse at Dawn (with FA 31 limited)

(flickr link: Horse at Dawn | Vincent1825 | Flickr)
The first picture looks like an opening scene from Fargo. Cool.
12-22-2017, 03:59 AM - 3 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the FA35/2 (which is close to the DA35/2.4, if not the same lens w/ FF coverage) and the FA31ltd.

The FA35/2 is a very competent and versatile lens.
Close focus, sharp from wide open and stopped down.
It was my most used lens on apsc before the K1.

On APSC

Its a 50mm equivalent FOV and working distance on apsc, which is really versatile for portraits, streets, etc.
One downside is that it has more hexagonal oof highlights when stopped down from f2.8 to f4.

On FF

However, I do think that if you are looking that gives that bit more, its the FA31ltd. (esp on FF)
Its just that bit wider as a landscape lens.
Also wider to be nearer a 28mm to be a sort of environmental portrait lens.
The subject separation is also a bit more distinct.

Personally though, I think that if you use apsc, the FA31ltd is a bit of a waste (as its not cheap), its not fully utilizing that FOV that makes it special.
I tended to use the FA35 more on apsc, but with K1, I seldom use my FA35/2 anymore.
12-30-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #59
Forum Member

Original Poster
Called the 31mm guy, he did not take my call, so had some time to go through my gear a little bit.
So played with different focal lengths a little and found out (like many here also noted out) that the 31 would not give me that much extra ( and I really really like the DA35) and not planning going FF any time soon.

So long story short... I did something completely insane and ordered the DA*55. New, but at a very good bargain. Will take a few days till it gets here.

I'm hoping the DA*55 would compliment my DA*60-250 on the shorter side.
Why not the DA50 you ask? I'm hoping the DA*55 will have some of the 9 blade pixie-dust, I guess.

I do hope I did the right call. The SDM and all-weather ruggedness are huge arguments as well for me when comparing with the limiteds.

---------- Post added 12-30-2017 at 07:03 PM ----------

Called the 31mm guy, he did not take my call, so had some time to go through my gear a little bit.
So played with different focal lengths a little and found out (like many here also noted out) that the 31 would not give me that much extra ( and I really really like the DA35) and not planning going FF any time soon.

So long story short... I did something completely insane and ordered the DA*55. New, but at a very good bargain. Will take a few days till it gets here.

I'm hoping the DA*55 would compliment my DA*60-250 on the shorter side.
Why not the DA50 you ask? I'm hoping the DA*55 will have some of the 9 blade pixie-dust, I guess.

I do hope I did the right call. The SDM and all-weather ruggedness are huge arguments as well for me when comparing with the limiteds.
12-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never wrong to get a new lens - not just LBA talking - but they can give a new life to your photography as much as going to a new country can. If the31mm keeps calling.don't ignore it, but in the meantime enjoy your new lens and explore what it can do to the full - have fun