Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

FA31. Is it worth it. (Rant about LBA)

Hi all.
I'm a 100% amateur, mainly started on nature photos, but after having a kid, I needed some fast light AF stuff, so decided the DAL35, a'ka the "Plastic fantastic" would do the job.
The DAL35 is absolutely fantastic and I love it ... but ...

... all of a sudden I found myself creeping for the Sigma 18-35 F1.8. After doing some research about the 18-35, naturally, I found out that what I actually NEED is the FA31.
For a few days now I can't get the thought of FA31 out of my head, and to make things worse, I just found one, practically new, for sale for 500€ (600$).

The wife doesn't mind, I can afford it, but do I need it? I have never made a $ with my photography (although shoot some volunteer stuff once in a while), I can't imagine anything being better than the DAL35.

My fears are:
* I will never use the DAL35 again. (god, it's fantastic!)
* I can't tell the difference.
* It's just a bad case of LBA

What would you do?
Thanks!

12-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The difference between 31mm and 35mm is.....4mm (just kidding). But seriously, it's not significant. The FA 31mm makes sense if you upgraded to a K-1 or you were unhappy with the IQ of the plastic fantastic. If you were going from the 40mm pancake limited, then 31mm would make more sense. Or the 35mm Limited Macro is a gem. But life is short and unless the funds in getting the FA 31mm is preventing you from getting another lens you need more....indulge.

What would I do? Fear not the call of my primal (pun intended) instincts.
12-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having been there, starting with the DAL35 and later obsessing and finally breaking down and getting the FA31, I can honestly say "yes" it is worth it. The DAL35 is a fantastic lens, no doubt about it, excellent bang for the buck. But FA31... it's an amazing lens. I have two bodies that I use it with that it really seems to shine with. The K-1 and the K-01. On my K3 it was very good but it didn't wow me much beyond my DA35. But on the other two bodies, The K-1 and K-01, it really lives up to its reputation. I was going to sell my K-01 because I wasn't using it. But adding the FA31 to it, now it's a keeper.

If you're suffering from LBA and you can get a good deal on the FA31 (and you're wife doesn't mind!!!!! Dang.... ha!), you can't go wrong.

And by the way... your next obsession after the FA31 will be the FA77. And trust me, you'll want that lens too.
12-19-2017, 11:16 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Get the 31. And the DA 20-40 Ltd. And the Sigma Art 30 f1.4. And the DA 35 Ltd macro. And the Sigma 18-35. And.....

12-19-2017, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

“What would I do?” What did I do is the question. I bought mine this summer. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! It’s magic. I went out and got the FA 43 (more magic). The FA 77 is next. Now all we need is a full frame equivalent to the DA 15 (more magic)
12-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
“What would I do?” What did I do is the question. I bought mine this summer. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! It’s magic. I went out and got the FA 43 (more magic). The FA 77 is next. Now all we need is a full frame equivalent to the DA 15 (more magic)

Ditto on the FF equivalent to the DA15
12-19-2017, 11:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r3nx Quote
The wife doesn't mind, I can afford it
What are you waitting for?

My fears are:
* I will never use the DAL35 again. (god, it's fantastic!)
* I can't tell the difference.
* It's just a bad case of LBA
*sale it

*Not sure if I should answer this because I don’t have both. But I used to want it a lot and test it a lot in many store accord Tokyo, whenever I see one which is very often. Therefore, I think you can tell it right a way which one taken with 31, 43, 77 Vs non FA limited lenses.

*LBA = Lens Buying Addiction? buy a used lens, and you won't loose much if you want to sale it later.

What would you do?
I asked myself a very similar question as you, and I ended up with FA35 and F28. Both are really good. But If I could go back and do it again… I would get the 31.
What I learn is that; if it will make me happy, then don’t find a reason not to get it…
well, don’t forget the 2 more important reasons, the ok from wife and I have enough to buy it!

Now I don’t have anything around 28 to 35, and I can live without it. I found out I don’t really like that area on 1.5 crop sensor. On a crop sensor, I like 21 a lot more.

12-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

it's one of the very best Pentax lenses and yes, most certainly worth it.
12-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow, thanks for the fast replies.
Yeah, I fear this is opening a whole new world of LBA (LIMITED buying addiction).
I have indeed the fear of the FA31 being just the beginning. The FA77 seems amazing, but lucky for me, I can't get my hands on it where I live (And for now, the 60-250 is doing well in this range for me, but who knows, could be the DAL incident all over again, amiright ).

Grr, I think this means I'll have to make the call. It will probably be a matter of time, till I need the K-1, right? Do love the K3-II tho.
12-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is also an important factor you are forgetting: the FA31 is considerably smaller than the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8

For an APS-C optimized lens, even taking the f/1.8 aperture into account the Sigma lens is massive. Twice the size,twice the weight, three times the mass.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-20-2017 at 12:24 AM.
12-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, that's quite important for me, as my gear is already on the heavy side. Don't need another 60-250 sized beast to drag around for hours hiking.
12-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian

What would you do?
I do have the 31 along with the 43 and 77 FA limited lenses. I bought my FA Limited trio long before my K1. I used them on my K3 and K5IIs with great results. They are classics and will be collectibles some day. They deserve all the accolades they get. They are truly legends. If you have the funds, try to get all three and sell some of your other duplicate lenses to supplement the purchase.

However, on a more practical level, I see you have a K3II. If I were you I would not duplicate the 35. I would go for an autofocus 50mm or longer focal length for portraits of my kid. Also remember that the 31 is best used on a FF body for which is was designed. 35 and 31 are too close in focal length. Duplicating the 35 does not make sense to me. Try to add to your capabilities with another focal length. For me, I would add the 77 or a 50 macro for a lot more versatility.
12-20-2017, 12:37 AM - 7 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-1 - SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 Limited ASPH ISO 100 f/11 1/60th [ stitched vertical panoramic]

There are those who complain that the FA31 is expensive, there are those that complain about its noisy AF, the built in lens hood, the amount of CA @ f/1.8 - but all of these aggravations are instantly forgotten when you see a good image rendered by it. Are there better lenses? technically speaking - Yes there are a few. Are there worse lenses? my god, there are a lot of average/bad 30~40mm lenses out there. Is there anything quite like it? I can't think of any lens off the top of my head that can compete. And it is safe to say I have worked with more camera systems than anyone here does.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-20-2017 at 02:37 PM.
12-20-2017, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I do have the 31 along with the 43 and 77 FA limited lenses. I bought my FA Limited trio long before my K1. I used them on my K3 and K5IIs with great results. They are classics and will be collectibles some day. They deserve all the accolades they get. They are truly legends. If you have the funds, try to get all three and sell some of your other duplicate lenses to supplement the purchase.

However, on a more practical level, I see you have a K3II. If I were you I would not duplicate the 35. I would go for an autofocus 50mm or longer focal length for portraits of my kid. Also remember that the 31 is best used on a FF body for which is was designed. 35 and 31 are too close in focal length. Duplicating the 35 does not make sense to me. Try to add to your capabilities with another focal length. For me, I would add the 77 or a 50 macro for a lot more versatility.
I see your point and I do agree with your thoughts. I bought the M50 1.7 for the purpose of seeing what the fast-fifty is like, but it always felt a tack too long for me. The 3*mm seems perfect, hence why the FA31 "addiction". And to add to it, most of my photos are done in extremely low light, so the longer focal length would require even more light. Having said that, it's possible the 31mm will be to short in the future, when the boy is running around all over the place.

I guess where I'm thinking that if I like the DAL35 as much as I do, then I probably would like the FA31 even more, if that makes any sense?
Yeah, the more logical approach when looking at my gear, would be the FA77, but that is off my reach sadly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Pentax K-1 - SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 Limited ASPH ISO 100 f/11 1/60th
This is another thing I have in mind, that I would like the 31 to compliment the DA12-24 with my landscape addiction. Great shot!

Thanks all for the great answers so far, gives a lot of different perspectives . Glad I started the discussion.
12-20-2017, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is another thing I have in mind, that I would like the 31 to compliment the DA12-24 with my landscape addiction.
I used to work with the DA15 - I replaced it with the sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6. It transpired the sigma lens had lower chromatic aberration and higher resolution on APS-C. Though the DA15 has one very distinct advantage over the Sigma lens, it was practically impervious to flare.

But in having made the switch the gap in focal lengths between 31mm and 16mm isn't as big as it seems, and having that extra 8mm in wide angle coverage is a real boon.

Pentax K5IIs- Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 - ISO160 @8mm f/11