Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find this thread quite interesting, since my K10D has the opposite problem. The AF focus confirmation hex is spot on, but the image in the VF is blurry. I primarily use AF lenses with the camera for this reason. It was disorienting at first, seeing an oof image in the viewfinder while the focus confirmation was lit. I've just learned to trust the hex indicator, and I'm rarely disappointed. Yes, I've adjusted the diopter correctly. If I can't correct the issue, I'll just continue using the camera with AF lenses, and maybe pick up a 2nd body for use with manual focus lenses. Love the output of the K10D

12-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I find this thread quite interesting, since my K10D has the opposite problem. The AF focus confirmation hex is spot on, but the image in the VF is blurry. I primarily use AF lenses with the camera for this reason. It was disorienting at first, seeing an oof image in the viewfinder while the focus confirmation was lit. I've just learned to trust the hex indicator, and I'm rarely disappointed. Yes, I've adjusted the diopter correctly. If I can't correct the issue, I'll just continue using the camera with AF lenses, and maybe pick up a 2nd body for use with manual focus lenses. Love the output of the K10D
it seems the pentamirror is out of alignment..any chance your k10 hit something hard?
12-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I just can't manually focus my K5, period, even after hundreds of attempts, except with live view. I have only one MF lens and need to dispose of it. I didn't have much trouble with MF on my Spotmatic or Canon A-1.
I’ve noticed that the percentage of out of focus photos with the K1 is vastly higher than with my film MX and the same manual focus lenses.

But in almost every case it’s simply a matter of being able to better discern focus with the extra resolution.

If all I ever did was print 10*15 cm prints, I think the K1 keeper rate would be better than the MX because the small prints would hide the sloppiness I can see when pixel peeping...

-Eric
12-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I’ve noticed that the percentage of out of focus photos with the K1 is vastly higher than with my film MX and the same manual focus lenses.
It was my first impression with K-1 and manual lenses as well. Then I realized that I shoot like with cropped camera, and also I can close aperture more on FF. It took me a while to adapt to full frame. Some lenses work better with focus confirmation, some don't in any of my cameras. I don't care much since I use LV mostly these days for manual focusing wearing reading glasses. And for outdoors in bright light I made small aluminum bracket with two screws I bought from BH to attach Hoodman loupe to the camera. It makes the set up a bit bulky, but I can focus precisely with any manual lens now. It's slow, but I don't shoot action with manual lenses any more, it's too much pain )))

12-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
it seems the pentamirror is out of alignment..any chance your k10 hit something hard?
Not that I know of. I've had the camera for 5 yrs now. When I got it, it was backfocusing severely, so I adjusted the AF using the "modset" hack for the K10D. The AF is excellent now and I don't want to mess with that at all. I have other bodies I use for manual lenses so all is good.
12-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

But in almost every case it’s simply a matter of being able to better discern focus with the extra resolution.

If all I ever did was print 10*15 cm prints, I think the K1 keeper rate would be better than the MX because the small prints would hide the sloppiness I can see when pixel peeping...

-Eric
So I had an opportunity to try and quantify this...

I shot two photos moments apart, with the same lens (Rokinon 85mm f1.4). One on the MX, one on the K1. The MX had XP2 in it, the K1 was shooting a bit slower at ISO 200... so hooray for SR...
I focused the MX with the split image and the K1 with the indicator. Both wide open and uncropped. And I got these...

When I pixel-peep on the K1, I missed focus (or we moved) by maybe an inch or two, but it's close enough to look very nice on a 10*15 cm print.
On the MX, I think I got it, but I can't really tell. The eyelashes look OK, but so does the sleeve... But I like it.
And of course, it gets squished by the forum downsizing.

I've never calibrated the lens on the K1, and it has always seemed to front focus a bit, and that's consistent here. I really need to see if I can dial it in.
But it is pretty close with either body...

-Eric
12-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

-Eric
That's probably a valid point and as mpixels increase there is no doubt that both user error and lens defects show up more. But I know I can't focus well at all with my APS bodies and get very poor / erratic results despite having tried many techniques (but not alternate screens or magnifiers) - except for live view. I don't find the focus assist is helpful at all, on any of my APS bodies.