Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to Determine a Lens Date of Manufacture?

Can anyone tell me how to determine a lens manufacture date from the serial number. I looked at the lens database but the numbers seem to be all over the place. The lens is a 50-135 with the number 9002635. If anyone knows, it will be someone on this forum.

12-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's hard to determine. But if the packaging is Ricoh branded, or if it says Ricoh Imaging on the paperwork, then you'll know it's fairly recent.
12-22-2017, 12:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

From what I understand, the serial number isn't much help*. The only way to glean some information would indeed come from the packaging. Any mention of Pentax/Hoya would mean the lens is pretty old [ relatively speaking] if there is any mention of Ricoh than as Adam said, it would be fairly recent.

*though you could go through the lens serial database and find any lenses that are numerically close to your own - the date of purchase might give some indication - but this method relies upon statistics, which in certain circumstances are't exactly reliable. Unless the sample size is absolutely massive.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-22-2017 at 12:46 AM.