Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lens Confusion!!!

I have a lot of confusion regarding lenses! If anyone could shine some light for me I would really appreciate it.

For starters, I own:

K1000
SMC Pentax-A 1.7 50mm
Hanimex 'automatic' 2.8 135mm

Questions:

1)The Pentax does not say 'auto' or 'automatic' on the front, but yet it has a locking green 'A' setting on the aperture ring. What does this mean? Does it mean that although it is a manual focus lens, it can be automatically metered by a supporting camera body?

2)The Hanimex lens specifically says 'automatic' on the front, but yet there is no 'A' setting on the aperture ring. Does 'automatic' simply mean that the lens is a preset lens and is not one of the old lenses that had to be focused first and THEN manually stopped-down? It doesn't mean that the lens is an AF does it?

3)What exactly DOES 'preset lens' mean?

4)I have been browsing the net for a while in search of an old, cheap, used wide-angle lens. I initially wanted to find a fisheye, but I've discovered that "old, cheap, fisheye" is hard to find. Two lenses I am looking at are an 'Auto Promaster Spectrum 7 MC 1:2.8 28mm kmount" and a 'Coated Super Albinar Auto 1:2.8 28mm k mount." Is one lens superior to the other in terms of quality, or are they comparable? Also, are these lenses 'automatic' in the same sense that my Hanimex is?

Thanks in advance for all help!

08-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sasquatch Quote
I have a lot of confusion regarding lenses! If anyone could shine some light for me I would really appreciate it.

For starters, I own:

K1000
SMC Pentax-A 1.7 50mm
Hanimex 'automatic' 2.8 135mm

Questions:

1)The Pentax does not say 'auto' or 'automatic' on the front, but yet it has a locking green 'A' setting on the aperture ring. What does this mean? Does it mean that although it is a manual focus lens, it can be automatically metered by a supporting camera body?
The "A" on the aperture ring means that the lens supports shutter priority automation or programmed exposure where the body sets the f-stop. Your camera does not support this feature.

QuoteQuote:

2)The Hanimex lens specifically says 'automatic' on the front, but yet there is no 'A' setting on the aperture ring. Does 'automatic' simply mean that the lens is a preset lens and is not one of the old lenses that had to be focused first and THEN manually stopped-down? It doesn't mean that the lens is an AF does it?
The auto on the front of the lens mean "auto diaphragm". The aperture iris remains open to focus and stops down "automatically" at the time of exposure.

QuoteQuote:

3)What exactly DOES 'preset lens' mean?
Non "auto diaphragm" ("manual") lenses must be stopped down manually before exposure. A preset lens is a manual diaphragm lens with a special ring or lever that allows the user to preset the f-stop with the lens wide open, focus, and then turn the preset ring/lever to stop the lens down for exposure. This feature is common in vintage screw mount and t-mount lenses and is still used in some lenses of current manufacture (e.g. the Russian-made Jupiter-9)

QuoteQuote:

4)I have been browsing the net for a while in search of an old, cheap, used wide-angle lens. I initially wanted to find a fisheye, but I've discovered that "old, cheap, fisheye" is hard to find. Two lenses I am looking at are an 'Auto Promaster Spectrum 7 MC 1:2.8 28mm kmount" and a 'Coated Super Albinar Auto 1:2.8 28mm k mount." Is one lens superior to the other in terms of quality, or are they comparable? Also, are these lenses 'automatic' in the same sense that my Hanimex is?
Neither of those lenses is a "fisheye" on your K1000. 28mm on the 35mm film format is a standard wide-angle. A fisheye would be something 17mm or shorter. Both the lenses you listed are automatic in the same sense as your Hanimex. Depending on the year of manufacture, they may also have the "A" setting on the aperture ring.

Steve

P.S. Don't use the "A" setting with your K1000.
08-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well that about sums it up! Thanks for the informative response!

Just for clarification, I was aware that those 2 lenses are consider wide-angle and not fisheye. I meant that although I was originally looking for a FE lens, I realized that a wide-angle would be a lot more easily attainable for me at the moment.
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Anyone have any thoughts on the 2 lenses? Anyone have any personal experience with either?

08-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A50 1.7 is a great lens. go wild, it should be great on all apertures. and supports the Auto Exposure features of the body as well.
08-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasquatch Quote
Anyone have any thoughts on the 2 lenses? Anyone have any personal experience with either?
The SMC Pentax-A 1.7 50mm should be similar to the SMC M 1.7 50mm (which I own), but it adds the A setting. The 1.7 is a highly regarded lens, which is already quite sharp wide open.

It should give you quite nice results!
08-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific... I was asking about the 2 wide-angles I mentioned.

I know that the Pentax is considered a good lens, and I have been pleased with results so far!