Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Keepers 'n sellers!

Seasons greeting fellow Pentaxians,

So, in the New Year I aim to S&S&B (Simplify and Sell and Buy!)

I have a K5iis that I really love. My currents lenses are:

Lenses: 15mm DA L

Tamron 70-200 f2.8

35mm f2.4 (plastic)

50mm f1.8 (plastic)

18-135mm WR

I'm wanting to move into prime territory: the 15mm and the Tamron 70-200 are great but I want to get rid of the plastics. I'm also not sure about the 18-135 (it is WR though).

I was thinking 15mm, 40mm or 43mm f1.9 and 70-200. It's what I haven't considered that I need help with - the unknown unknowns!

All comments gratefully received!

12-22-2017, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Seasons greeting fellow Pentaxians,

So, in the New Year I aim to S&S&B (Simplify and Sell and Buy!) . . .

I'm wanting to move into prime territory: the 15mm and the Tamron 70-200 are great but I want to get rid of the plastics. . . .
why get rid of the " plastics "

your decision, of course, but just curious

as far as I know, the " plastics " have proven to be durable and there are advantages to them over heavier lenses

be sure to check out the Market Place " buy/sell " when you have decided on what you want to do, personally I have had good luck when using it to buy from forum members

as far as lenses recommendations

what are you interested in photographing

macro

portrait

wildlife

landscape

etc, etc, etc, and so forth and so on

I really like my smc Pentax D FA 100mm F2.8 macro

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DFA-100mm-F2.8-Macro-Lens.html

it is an older model but has the same optics as the newest 100mm F2.8 Macro WR

it would give you a longer prime and 1:1 Macro capability as well

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-22-2017 at 08:46 AM.
12-22-2017, 08:31 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You've got one WR rated lens there, the 18-135. For that reason, the general image quality, and versatility of the thing would have me keeping it. Plus there's the idea that you cover all bases with a decent zoom then hit key focal lengths (to your own favor) with primes. It's really all what you like to shoot with. I have a number of the same lenses and I shoot with a K-5 II. Here's what I would keep out of your lens collection

DA 15 (I own a copy and love it)
DA 18-135 (I don't know that I love it but it's just so good and useful to me that I can't imagine selling it)
DA 50 (I own a copy and quite like it. Portraits, low light, it's very good for those things and is so small and light).

That's it. I rarely feel like wanting a lens with more reach than the 18-135 offers. I have a DA 35 2.4 and it's... okay, but not exciting, not artistic. If it offered a faster max f-stop, like an f1.8... The 18-135 isn't real fast in this range, but it's very sharp and contrasty from about 20mm out to about 70mm. Perhaps the other way to roll this kit would be the 15, the 18-135, and the 70-200. If you wanted to trade around, something like the Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 f2.8 zooms could replace the 18-135 in your kit.

I get wanting primes but I can't really imaging only having a 15 and a 40 and then straight to telephoto. Lately my bag has a Sigma 28 f1.8 and either the DA 15 or DA 50 with it. It's like the 43 on full frame, just as fast, but about 5 times the size and probably 3 times the weight.
12-22-2017, 08:43 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

If I had that combination of lenses, I would leave it well alone and not buy or sell a thing. This is speaking as the long-term owner of a K-5, which has served me very well with a variety of glass.

12-22-2017, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Summarizing my understanding of the top post, you are thinking of selling your 35mm, 50mm, and 18-135mm. You will buy a 40mm or 43mm as a replacement.

I don't know your photography style. For me, only being able to shoot at 15mm, 40mm, and 70-200 would be too limiting. Maybe sell the 35 and 50 but keep the 18-135 for versatility.

Or, if you really want to simplify, sell the 15, 35, 50, and 18-135. Buy a 16-85 lens. That gives you a 2 lens setup that can go all the way from 16mm to 200mm.

Tell us more about what you like to photograph. Modern zooms are very good and IMO prime lenses are only needed for special cases like ultra thin depth of field, handheld low light, night sky, macro, or if the compact size of a specific prime is needed.
12-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My sister is making side money with a crop Canon and the Tamron 17-50, the same one that is available on k-mount, not the newer revision. You could sell everything but the 70-200 and get a 17-50 for $300 brand new right now. She recently picked up a 50 1.8 which is very similar overall to your DA 50 for an added low light & portrait option.

I wouldn't get a 16-85 when the 17-50 Tamron is available for so much less money. The constant f2.8 is the biggest reason why, which the 16-85 doesn't offer.

So many ways to build a crop DSLR kit.
12-22-2017, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

You already got a lot of good advice.
1. I wouldn't sell the 18-135, unless you wanted to buy a 16-85. IMHO one really needs a WR jack-of-all-trades lens, one that you can bring with you and be covered no matter what, for those times you want to travel light and not change lenses. I use the kit lens for that purpose, so you're already better off.

2. You say that you want to move into prime territory... you already have the 15mm and two good lenses. You could think about selling those plastic lenses in order to replace them with something better, but around the same FL. You could buy a 31mm LTD and a 55mm DA*, for instance.

3. I wouldn't sell the 70-200mm, as on the long end a zoom is really convenient, and that's a good, bright lens BTW. You could think about upgrading and buying the new D-FA 70-200, but that's about it.

All in all, you already have a rational and performing kit, and I can't really see a need to change anything... maybe just improve or alter slightly, but that's up to you

12-22-2017, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are threads with devoted to the lens you own an the ones you are considering, so check those out. I think you should make the most of what you have, the only lens I would add id the FA-77mm, which is incredilbe on any camera.

Keep your 18-135 mm, havng WR is so nice when the weather is not, this lens turns in great pix in most conditions, and it is lightweight.

The DA 40 LTD is a great prime, but I also love the 40mm XS, light and compact with great IQ.
12-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Indeed I have - many thanks to all who've responded. I have always liked the simplicity of less is more. I'll keep the 18-135 because it is WR and I like it, as will I keep the 70-200 Tamron, and the 15mm wide lens. I shoot landscapes, portraits and tight urban settings - I live in the UK where streets are shorter, narrower, tighter, hence my thoughts on a 40mm or a 43mm. If I didn't have the 70-200 I'd get a 70mm or FA77. What now? What should I add to the bag?
12-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I never heard of your first lens listed; DA L 15 mm. Do you mean DA 15 Limited? If it is the 15mm Limited then that is a must keep! Given what you have I would not get rid of any of them. Even if you want to get limited primes, there are still times where a quiet focusing, weather sealed zoom is an essential part of your inventory. The only lens in your kit that may be expendable would be the 35mm f2.4. The 50mm should be a keeper, even if you build a collection of limited primes due to the f 1.8 aperture. Good looks, enjoy what you have and any new additions to your inventory.
12-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
There are threads with devoted to the lens you own an the ones you are considering, so check those out. I think you should make the most of what you have, the only lens I would add id the FA-77mm, which is incredilbe on any camera.

Keep your 18-135 mm, havng WR is so nice when the weather is not, this lens turns in great pix in most conditions, and it is lightweight.

The DA 40 LTD is a great prime, but I also love the 40mm XS, light and compact with great IQ.
I have the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS and I love it

I have no experience with the DA 40 LTD

here is an " in depth review " of the Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I urge you to read it, it could answer some questions for you

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-22-2017 at 01:05 PM.
12-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are many, many options for primes. I have all those except the DA 15. For starters it will depend on what you would like to be photographing and the environment. Both the DA 50 and DA 35 are great lenses and both are FF compatible. If you are looking for something WR then the DA*55 is a great choice. I really like mine. I use it on the K3 and the K-1. Personally I would get the DA 40 over the FA 43. The DA 40 is much cheaper. Both the DA 40 and DA40xs are identical optically. The DA 40 has better handling, easier to manual focus, and offers quick-shift. The DA 40xs is smaller, has rounded apeture blades, and no distance scale. DA 35 macro is just a wonderful lens to use. However for overall border sharpness the DA 35 2.4 is actually a bit sharper or at least mine is. The DA 35 macro just has that something specail that makes its images stand out. Of the all the lenses mentioned I would not be without my DA*55.
12-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I never heard of your first lens listed; DA L 15 mm. Do you mean DA 15 Limited? If it is the 15mm Limited then that is a must keep! Given what you have I would not get rid of any of them. Even if you want to get limited primes, there are still times where a quiet focusing, weather sealed zoom is an essential part of your inventory. The only lens in your kit that may be expendable would be the 35mm f2.4. The 50mm should be a keeper, even if you build a collection of limited primes due to the f 1.8 aperture. Good looks, enjoy what you have and any new additions to your inventory.
Ha ha! Yes I did mean the DA 15 - an errant L crept in - I was thinking of my plastics!
12-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Covering the various ranges--super wide through telephoto has been my separate prime and zoom plan--coverage! On the viewing platform at Niagara Falls or Empire State Building or where ever, primes require lens change to get proper angle...better have the needed lens angles...i.e. better have the range...

You have a 15 now...so (as it becomes realistic) add the 21, 31, 43, 77 and 100 macro and you have all the non-critter angles covered with pro capable glass. Done...all primes and no gaps, 21-100. I add a 200* macro and 300* tele to fill it out and for publication/sales because I do more with critters than the average person. OK, I have a 600/4 too, but that's an outlier in regards to sanity!

Now do the same with zooms and you've got it all.

I run all FA's 20-35, 28-70*, 80-200* and you are covered from 20-200! Ran the 250-600* for a decade when wildlife was my main game. Had 20-600 covered in just four lenses. Took that kit to Northwest Territories and Alaska lots of times.

If professional quality work is not the goal then don't overthink it...buy a few cheap zooms and have fun! But you mentioned primes which suggests you want quality. Don't even consider cheapo's if you are after quality...real world, I've sold dozens of images that were shot through old FA plastic zooms that sell for about $20 on the used market nowadays. But it's not work that I'm happy with or proud of...checks were nice but I do this for me! Sounds like you do too.
12-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your current lens collection is brilliant - logical steps between focal lengths, versatile, and great image quality for the price. If simplicity is one of your guiding principles you are already there. Selling the plastic fantastics won't raise much capital, so unless you're prepared to spend quite a bit I wouldn't touch it.

HOWEVER.... you lack a macro. If you really want to get rid of a plastic lens, swapping the 35/2.4 for the 35/2.8 macro limited would give you bling, quick shift and serious sharpness and close focus ability. It is still very compact, only marginally slower, and has a nifty built-in hood.

Swapping the 50/1.8 for the 55/1.4 might make sense if speed, weather resistance, quick shift, a great hood, silent focus and stunning resolution make the significant cost worth contemplating.

Something longer than 200 (and more compact than the Tamron) might be nice. One of the WR 55-300 variants could replace your 18-135 if you plugged the gap between 15 and 35 with something like the 21 limited.

I had a 40 limited for a while, but for me it was a weird field of view on crop. The same applies to my FA43.

It might not surprise you that my minimalist crop kit is 15, 21, 35, 55-300