Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Friday fun: Match the shot to the lens!

Ok, so I was doing some fun testing and comparing of lenses this morning- feeling a bit under the weather, but I was really interested in playing with three of my entire kit of four lenses- and as I was looking at the shots I thought "Hey, wouldn't it be fun to put up these shots on the forums and let everybody test their perceptions and knowledge a bit!"

So, here are three shots of the same subject- an antique jewelery box on my wife's dresser in our bedroom. All are shot in natural light on a tripod. I know the angles are slightly different, but I was trying to frame the shots in a similar fashion to test the lenses.

I did go in and edit the EXIF data on the jpeg files so that there isn't a clue as to what lenses were used. Here's what I changed:
1. All focal lengths read 1mm.
2. Any metering information is either unknown or automatic.

Here's the details:
  1. All three shots were taken at f/5.6 with each lens- obviously, shutter speeds may have varied due to the characteristics of each lens.
  2. All three shots are ISO 800.
  3. White balance was set to Auto.
  4. One shot has been adjusted by +.38EV in Lightroom to match the exposure of the other two shots. No other PP has been performed on the other two shots, nor has their been any other adjustments than the aforementioned exposure adjustment.
  5. One shot has been cropped to match the same field of view as the other two shots.
  6. All shots were RAW, converted to JPEG from lightroom export, using sRGB color space, no sharpening. The in-camera RAW adjustments embedded in the files were solely used for the export- no PP tweaking in lightroom.
  7. All shots taken on a K100D super.

Now for the fun part, the three lenses used are, in no particular order:

A. Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Kit lens.
B. Pentax K 30mm f/2.8
C. Tamron 28-105mm f/4-5.6 AF IF

So, here are the three shots. Take a look and let me know which lens you think corresponds to which shot! There are some dead giveaways, I know, in each shot, but I thought this could be a bit of fun on a Friday...

Shot 1

Shot 2

Shot 3

So, just match up which Shot (1,2 or 3) matches which lens (A, B or C).

Happy Friday all!!

08-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Shot 2 is obviously Lens B (The K30) - btw. the focus is off
Shot 3 is Lens A (The Kit)
Shot 1 is probably Lens C (So has to be the Tamron)
08-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Igilligan

Okay I am in....

And I think you are trying to trick me...

you have them in the exact order already... 8^)

ABC = 123
08-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Uli- (and everybody else)- can you give a quick description of what you see that helps you make your decision? It's more so that I can re-enforce what I see when shooting with the lenses than anything else, but I think it's interesting to get everybodies perceptions and experience.

08-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm guessing reverse order. Mainly basing it on the bokeh - I think I recognize the pentagonal K (not that I know the K lens, but I do know the Takumars the Ks were a re-mounting of). I'm also guessing the last one is the kit lens and the first is the Tamron - mainly because I figure the longer range zoom will be less 'corrected' thus giving softer bokeh.
08-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Forum Member

Well, the K 30 has a five blade diaphragm so you see them in the highlights of the bokeh. The Kit has 6 blades like in shot 3 so there only remains shot 1 for the Tamron.
08-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

first one selected:
3-b, because of the detail and coloring
then
1-a because it held some detail and had similar pentax coloring versus shot 2
2-c, because of the coloring in the OOF highlight area?
08-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Uli- do love your gallery shots, btw! Were those all taken with the K100D Super?

I have to say in the shots I posted for this, I was astonished at the low noise at ISO 800- of course the RAW profile the camera saved showed 25% color noise reduction in Lightroom, but even when I pulled it off completely, it really wasn't apparent when viewing at 100%.

I may go up a body someday, mostly for ease of controls and options (less menu fiddling), but I'm quite happy as an enthusiast with the K100D Super: Now, to be able to save enough money to actually by an SDM lens!

08-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Uli- do love your gallery shots, btw! Were those all taken with the K100D Super?
Thanks!
The digital shots were taken with K100D and K100D Super, i have entered the camera and lens data to the pictures in the gallery. Some analog scans were taken with my Spotmatic F - mainly b&w shots and some slides.
08-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UliBär Quote
Well, the K 30 has a five blade diaphragm so you see them in the highlights of the bokeh. The Kit has 6 blades like in shot 3 so there only remains shot 1 for the Tamron.
Yes, shot 2 must be the K30, but I think shot 1 is the kit (wide open at F5.6 so no blades in the highlights) and so shot 3 must be the Tamron (not yet wide open at F5.6 and showing the blades).

ABC

Last edited by tomtor; 08-29-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: minor edit
08-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only one right so far

So far, there is only one person who has gotten the matches right.

It's really neat to see all the different takes and reasoning's for the choice made- thanks everybody!
08-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #12

1 is the tamron
2 is theK30
3 is the kit...
Just from looking at the perspective and the relation between the box and the bottle, it seams obvious that #3 is the widest lens, then #2 and then #1. This is confirmed by the looks of bokeh. But I guess this is wrong since everybody guessed that and only one person is right.

Last edited by deudeu; 08-29-2008 at 02:35 PM.
08-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I agree with deudeu's selections.

Decision is solely based on the bokeh.

c[_]
08-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Edit to the right number of guesses- there are three that are correct!

The matches are:
Shot 1: Tamron (C)
Shot 2: K 30mm (B)
Shot 3: DA 18-55mm (A)

Thanks for participating, everyone, and giving their feedback. I found augustmoon's comments interesting: goes to show you that these bog standard lenses are not that bad of performers.

I find it interesting that both the Tamron and the kit lens are decent performers for this type of shot.

Uli- I know the 30mm shot was out of focus: I was playing with focal distance on it, and realized I couldn't get the same focus plane as I was getting with the other lenses.

Both the Tamron and the kit lens shots were at their maximum focal length: 105mm for the tammy and 55mm for the kit.

Last edited by virgilr; 08-29-2008 at 03:28 PM.
08-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
I find it interesting that both the Tamron and the kit lens are decent performers for this type of shot.
"Decent", maybe, but in the case of the 18-55, I'd say clearly not as good as the Tamron. The K30 is tougher to judge because the focus is so different.