Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you plan on buying the new DFA*50mm lens?
Yes, I plan to buy it either at release or soon after. 3317.84%
No, I have no plans to buy it at release or soon after. 15282.16%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have enough big Pentax DFA lenses. No more. Let's turn our attention to refreshing the FA limiteds.

12-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would buy it next year if I was going to have a tax refund, but alas I live in one of those high state tax states, itemize, and will probably be selling lenses to pay my taxes, which will be going up substantially.
12-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #63
Pentaxian

I've got a 50 Macro F 2.8, 50mm normal F 1.4 and a 40mm F 2.8 Limited. I'm all full up with normal primes. And I might add, my 40 Limited seems to work quite well on my K-1 and is it ever sharp.

But a 20 mm or 24 mm F 2.8 or so...full frame lens...for my K-1. Yes.
12-24-2017, 01:23 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. I have more 50mm lenses than I know what to do with. I'd be more interested in a wide angle prime, like a future DFA 20mm F/4, let's keep it small, closer to the M-20mm or FA-20mm size. I'm not interested in another lens that's bigger than my head. I'm willing to forgo the f/2.8 in exchange for size and bulk.

12-24-2017, 03:45 AM   #65
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I will say that Pentax has conditioned us not to buy on release as they generally do drop prices on things several months after release. If you bought the DFA *70-200 when it came out it was quite a bit more than it was on sale recently.

That said, if you really want a lens and will shoot with it, then it is worth buying it.
I thought the same but this year prices haven't come downhere in Germany. I don't remember the initial price of the 70-200 but it is still 2000€ including discount. The K-1 body has gone up from 2000€ to 2300€ so you still pay 2000€ if you get a good price. I believe it's an exchange rate thing with Japan.
12-24-2017, 04:37 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few years ago on this Forum I was severely criticised for suggesting that a lot of Pentax users had something of a cheapskate mentality, but now it seems commonly accepted. Nonetheless, the members here are a subset of Pentax users worldwide, also bearing in mind the non-English-speaking Pentax community who don't participate here. My view is that there'll probably be more buyers of this lens outside our Forum membership than we think. Even so, if this survey is even half-accurate, that'll quite likely be enough to satisfy Ricoh that the effort wasn't wasted. Premium goods tend to have a greater percentage markup than less expensive ones, for obvious reasons.
12-24-2017, 05:09 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, eventually.

I just stepped into a K-1 and I held off on that focal length in a full frame prime to wait for the DFA*50. Other than the anticipated optics, I have a preference for the weather resistance aspect. The "eventually" part will depend on price and when it goes on sale.

Given other members' experience and sample photos with the DA*55 on the K-1, I had a hard time not jumping on its current offerings, but decided to hold out for the DFA*50.

12-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
Given other members' experience and sample photos with the DA*55 on the K-1, I had a hard time not jumping on its current offerings, but decided to hold out for the DFA*50.
yep, it was/is very tempting, but then I think of vignetting and AF speed, and even though bigger, I know I'd prefer the DFA*50. If I was rational, I can't "afford" any of these, but I can find a way to buy one or the other without too much guilt, so I'm saving and trying to resist LBA as much as I can. "Luckily", the D FA 24-70 was recently at a price I couldn't pass up. Since I need to eat and pay bills, I'm working on "recovery", and the timing of the upcoming release will hopefully coincide with some spring funds.

Part of what I think is sometimes overlooked, and I realize is a luxury at some level, is that there are tactile things about the experience of the premium lenses and cameras that makes their use enjoyable, regardless of whether you're a pro or amateur (me). I mean the appreciation of a fine mechanism and how it works and feels, as well as the visual end result. So, will it make me a better photographer? No. But will I enjoy the experience and find value in that angle of the equipment? Yes. Kinda like my 1873 Uberti. Just beautiful and enjoyable to shoot. Rewarding in it's own right. Same for the upper echelon of lenses and cameras.
12-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Thought about it for a while and decided to vote no. If I had a k-1 I would probably say yes, but since k-1 is next on the shopping list, I would be more interested in the DFA 85.
12-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #70
Pentaxian

I think this lens is needed in the new K-1 market but at the same time there are hundreds of 50mm k mount variations available of that focal length.

If the reviews on this lens is good I will eventually get a copy.

On the flip side Pentax needs to broaden the focal length availability.

Eventually Pentax might get a full line up of lenses but it certainly seems like they take forever to get anything done.

At this pace it might be 10 years before they have a full line of modern glass.
12-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote

Part of what I think is sometimes overlooked, and I realize is a luxury at some level, is that there are tactile things about the experience of the premium lenses and cameras that makes their use enjoyable, regardless of whether you're a pro or amateur (me). I mean the appreciation of a fine mechanism and how it works and feels, as well as the visual end result. So, will it make me a better photographer? No. But will I enjoy the experience and find value in that angle of the equipment? Yes. Kinda like my 1873 Uberti. Just beautiful and enjoyable to shoot. Rewarding in it's own right. Same for the upper echelon of lenses and cameras.
To me, that’s a difference between a professional’s tool, which exists to get out of the way of the process, and the hobbyist’s tool, the exercise of which is often an essential part of the enjoyment.

Obviously, in the best cases, where one’s hobby and profession overlap, it’s a bit of both...

-Eric
12-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No...it's not a focal length I use that often and I have the 43 and a 50 (or two) already.

I'm also unlikely to buy the 85...I have the 77 and the 100 macro which give me excellent results.

I want a wide/wide-ish, waterproof prime that isn't enormous....I get a bit tired of lugging round the 15-30, so a lot of the time it gets left at home.
12-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Screw Pentax for not prioritizing the wide angle primes (i.e. 24, 35 etc.) first. Just like their 18-55, Pentax has more than 50's no matter what.
12-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Not me. But if I was full frame my answer would be different. Now the 11-18 DA * and the D FA 85 * are different stories. The crop lens absolutely the 85 if priced fair and funds allow then sure, plus it will cover a “hole” in my prime gap from 55mm to 300mm.
12-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm well covered at 50mm and I'm not all that fond of the FL anyway.