Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2017, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've really liked the results of my M42 35f2, but it's a bit of a pain, being screw mount and all.

If the promised full frame wide angle isn't what I'm after, I'll likely drown my sorrows with the FA35 f2.0, though for me film compatibility is also important, so I want the aperture ring.
You may not care about that...
But at least in the US, the FA has been frightfully inexpensive of late... so I hope you got a good price...

-Eric

12-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I've really liked the results of my M42 35f2, but it's a bit of a pain, being screw mount and all.

If the promised full frame wide angle isn't what I'm after, I'll likely drown my sorrows with the FA35 f2.0, though for me film compatibility is also important, so I want the aperture ring.
You may not care about that...
But at least in the US, the FA has been frightfully inexpensive of late... so I hope you got a good price...

-Eric
Normally it's about 600,- Euro here in Germany. SRS (England) is selling it for 320 pounds today. So I'm absolutely okay with the price. Don't know how much it is in the US these days.

And since the Brits decided for Brexit their pound has lost a lot so those country having the Euro (like Germany) can buy cheap in the UK.
12-24-2017, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can only offer info on apsc.

I have owned all three lenses. The FA 35 seemed better to me than the DA 35 F2.4, but I can't show side by side shots sadly.

I can offer these shots, one made with the 31 and one with the 35.

Generated from my Motorola Droid Mini using tools.rackonly.com

Generated from my Motorola Droid Mini using tools.rackonly.com
12-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
So you bought an expensive lens, but didn't use it because it was expensive?
That's just nuts. Mine goes everywhere with me....

Nice shots. I just hope those folks jumping in the water don't hook up with the one who is fishing. Happy Holidays! I would really like to see Christmas down under as a summer holiday someday after a whole lifetime of dreaming of a white Christmas up here

12-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thanks for the link.

I meant factory tested for each DA35/2.4 which is made.
I do believe that many will be ok on FF, but there will be those that fall out of spec for FF quality since they were never tested to guarantee it.

The images in the link, I feel is too small, often at f2.4 and not the full aspect ratio of the K1 to judge IQ on the edges (with that I am mainly referring to stopped down landscape type shooting )
12-24-2017, 11:52 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Thanks for the link.

I meant factory tested for each DA35/2.4 which is made.
I do believe that many will be ok on FF, but there will be those that fall out of spec for FF quality since they were never tested to guarantee it.

The images in the link, I feel is too small, often at f2.4 and not the full aspect ratio of the K1 to judge IQ on the edges (with that I am mainly referring to stopped down landscape type shooting )
I've shot the DA35 casually with both the K-1 and Sony A7 - I know you have both these bodies, and it's fine, as Aurele, Rice High and others have observed.

In fact, it's rated in the DA on FF thread as being more compatible than the DA*300, which is an officially approved lens!

12-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thanks for the link, I had lost track of that one somehow!
12-29-2017, 02:58 AM   #23

Original Poster
Will get my copy (FA35) within the next few days, probably 2018 I'm looking forward to since it replaces the Pentax FA31 1.8 which I've sold recently.

01-02-2018, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Will get my copy (FA35) within the next few days, probably 2018 I'm looking forward to since it replaces the Pentax FA31 1.8 which I've sold recently.
My best wishes of an happy 2018 with your brand new FA 2/35mm!
I will grab mine when I go home, it will take the place of a huge super sharp Samyang.
It's a good lens for travel photography.
I've just acquired the K version, with the same focal/speed, but I see it as a tripod lens... and a collector's item
I'm still experimenting to find my favorite travel combo. The FA could be a nice alternative to a huge f/2.8 zoom if I want to keep my bag light.

Cheers

Paolo

01-02-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
I suspect you will be very happy with this fine little lens, as I have been when using it on my 35mm film bodies. It is a very lightweight, nicely-designed, excellent-performing walk around lens having a great focal length for versatile use. I don't use it very often on my APS-C bodies, since the FOV is not at all the same. If I should get the K-1 it would certainly again be much more in service.