Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2017, 04:02 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Should I purchase an old manual lens with 'minor middle element blacking loss.'?

Seller says that there's no indication of a loss of performance in the produced shots and is also willing to take some test shots & send them to me so I can see for sure.

My question is, is this something that can worsen over time? Is this something that can be repaired?

I'm getting back into photography after some time away and never really learn't about what goes on inside the lens in terms of engineering, only the way light behaves etc so blacking is something that I don't know much about.

What do you fine folks think?

EDIT: Should have mentioned that it's an SMC 28mm f3.5, K version.

Last edited by Lindethiel; 12-24-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Missing details
12-24-2017, 04:18 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
depends upon which lens - is it a common issue with that lens, or is a common lens that you could pick up a different copy without this issue for a decent price...
12-24-2017, 04:30 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

For me it would also depend on the size of the investment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2017, 05:57 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lindethiel Quote
Seller says that there's no indication of a loss of performance in the produced shots and is also willing to take some test shots & send them to me so I can see for sure.

My question is, is this something that can worsen over time? Is this something that can be repaired?

I'm getting back into photography after some time away and never really learn't about what goes on inside the lens in terms of engineering, only the way light behaves etc so blacking is something that I don't know much about.

What do you fine folks think?
I had a m42 CZ Ultron 1,8/50 disassembled and (among other things) an element reblacked, but it was worth it to return that particular lens to as-new operating condition. Our member @dcshooter did the work. Whether the finished lens is worth the money all-in is a personal decision. In my case I probably could have found a better copy for less money if I looked long enough, but then I would have had to look - and wait.

Also, in some weird way I think there is some posterity value to renewing classic old camera gear.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-24-2017 at 08:39 AM.
12-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Sorry guys! Forgot to mention that it's an SMC 28mm f3.5 K version. $230 Aussie dollars and relatively local :O
12-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry guys! Forgot to mention that it's an SMC 28mm f3.5 K version. $230 Aussie dollars and relatively local :O
My opinion (cup of coffe, etc.) - shoot the lens you have and if the results are a bother seek a better copy.
12-25-2017, 02:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My opinion (cup of coffe, etc.) - shoot the lens you have and if the results are a bother seek a better copy.
I don't have it yet, but the seller said he'd take some shots and send them to me to see. Btw, how much did it cost to get that lens re-furbed?

12-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have it yet, but the seller said he'd take some shots and send them to me to see. Btw, how much did it cost to get that lens re-furbed?
$75 but I think he underpriced himself. IMO you’ll never notice and the K28/3.5 Is wonderful lens.