Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2017, 04:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone used a Tokina SD 35-200mm F4-5.6? How would you rate it?

I succumbed to my baser instincts yesterday and bid on and won a Tokina SD 35-200mm lens. I already have a Chinon 35-200mm F4-5.6, a Tamron SP 35-210mm and 2 versions of 28-200mm lenses so I know I must be a little mad.... or sad. At least it has a PKAR mount so no green button metering and cost under £10 GBP and should be with me after Christmas.

I have not been able to find much in the way of opinions on the Tokina, anybody out there have (or had) one they can provide an opinion on?
I'm assuming it might be a fair bit lighter and smaller than the Tamron which is my favourite lens of this type.

12-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the atx 35-200mm f3.5-4.5. This is the only 35-200mm listed in my tokina brochure from 1984. I think the "SD's" came later. It's a classy lens but I can't comment on its relative optical merits because of an innocuously slightly hazy rear element that has an effect (foggy!) on iq that seems entirely disproportionate to the affliction.
You'll have to post some pics and offer an opinion. Mostly these 1980's tokinas seem to be solid performers...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
MG5300 series  Photo 
12-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I have the atx 35-200mm f3.5-4.5. This is the only 35-200mm listed in my tokina brochure from 1984. I think the "SD's" came later. It's a classy lens but I can't comment on its relative optical merits because of an innocuously slightly hazy rear element that has an effect (foggy!) on iq that seems entirely disproportionate to the affliction.
You'll have to post some pics and offer an opinion. Mostly these 1980's tokinas seem to be solid performers...
I have read up a little on the version you have, when I get it (assuming it is not full of fungus or haze) I will be comparing it to the Tamron I have.

Lens arrived, looks like there is haze(?) on the glass, images look like they have been taken in misty conditions and glass (somewhere around the centre elements) looks like it has been breathed upon and has not cleared. I left the lens for a few hours with silica gel in the bottom cap to dry out any moisture that may have arisen in the transition from very cold to room temperature before I tried it.
Disappointing but that's life!

Last edited by Skodadriver; 12-29-2017 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Update