Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Zeiss 35mm f/2 ZK

Anyone owns this lens? I have the 77mm FA Limited was taking a look at the 31mm, but I hear the Zeiss is superior.

I was wondering if you had sample shots...

08-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

google zeiss 35mm f2 and include the term site: dpreview.com
you should find comments from users from ZF nikon or converted Contax mounts
08-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #3

Zeiss Lenses

Hi Tigerlord,

The Zeiss ZF lenses would rival the Limiteds in terms of IQ. There are 7 lenses in this family of extremely fine glass. Despite, its recent release they don't have AF capability. For people like me who are hopelessly chasing the VL 125mm, Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar is the closest thing that is available in the market.

For samples and user experiences, see:

Zeiss ZF User List & Discussions - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

For in-depth review, costs $50 though, see:

diglloyd Zeiss ZF Lenses | World's Best Review and Guide to Zeiss ZF Lenses

And just a word of caution for people who are suffering from LBA: Do Not View The Above Links If You Are In Remission.

Alex
08-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

looking at photozone (they have one reviewed for nikon) and comparing to fa35/2 or fa31 (which I know you shouldn't look cross platform but...) the differences aren't big, considering that you lose af too. from the little I have seen (and it is only a little so correct me if I'm wrong) the zeiss lenses are ultimately sharp but dont necessarily have rendering or bokeh of some others. make me think of the 43mm limited, amazingly sharp and there are lots of beuatiful images taken with them, but sometimes the bokeh isn't so good etc.

just my uneducated thoughts

Phil

08-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do have the VL 125mm and a fellow VL owner who also shoots Pentax told me I should get the Zeiss over the 31mm since the Zeiss is a smaller version of the VL whereas the 31mm would render the exact same pics as my 77mm but in 31mm.

I am a little annoyed at no AF... MF isn't always practical, especially in studio work when I handhold most my shots!
08-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
looking at photozone (they have one reviewed for nikon) and comparing to fa35/2 or fa31 (which I know you shouldn't look cross platform but...) the differences aren't big, considering that you lose af too. from the little I have seen (and it is only a little so correct me if I'm wrong) the zeiss lenses are ultimately sharp but dont necessarily have rendering or bokeh of some others. make me think of the 43mm limited, amazingly sharp and there are lots of beuatiful images taken with them, but sometimes the bokeh isn't so good etc.

just my uneducated thoughts

Phil
I agree with the assessment of the Zeiss 35/2 vs. the FA 35 or FA 31. I was thinking that it might be sort of cool to save up for the Zeiss. But I could hardly justify the outlay if the performance is not clearly superior.

Steve

(Really happy with my FA 35/2 even with the busy bokeh...)
08-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The FA31 is a real sweet spot for Pentax optic performance. I wouldn't suggest the Zeiss would offer much advantage in this catagory; perhaps fringing would be better controlled with the Zeiss? I have a couple of the Zeiss ZKs (although not the 35) and the 31mm and can state the 31 is as good optically as the Zeiss glass. I would recommend the Zeiss for those that _prefer_ manual focus to AF (such as myself). A native AF lenses manual focus movement is no match for a fluid, precise, smooth damped helicoid in a native manual lens, its just not even a comparison. Manual focusing a native manual lens is *_much_* easier than manual focusing a native AF lens. I personally would trade someone my 31 for a 35 for this reason, but I doubt there are many 35 owners for Pentax because of the 31. I just didn't know about the Zeiss when I bought my 31.