Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Of course if you compare side by side in a perfect listening environment the MP3 files (even extreme setting from LAME) do not sound as good as the CD. But why not just enjoy the music? Only the equivalent of pixel-peeping fanatics would care about the "lost bits". Or the perfect listening experience, which rarely exists anyway.
I would go with the DA35 without question. If I had only one lens, that would be it. Because the quality is more important to me than the benefit of telephoto. It's wide enough for most purposes, focuses as close as physically possible and renders great images.
Interesting that you find a compromise in audio more acceptable than a compromise in photography. I was the opposite for many years, but now that photography has displaced audio as my #1 obsession, the pendulum is swinging. I couldn't live with a 35mm fl as my only lens though, I love shooting wildlife with a friendly weapon.

09-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #62
Pentaxian

You nailed it: Bombay Sapphire is the perfect gin. But the perfect martini I have only had once in a bar in Toronto. It was insanely good and only cost twice what a normal martini costs.
Tanqueray No. 10 is the best gin I've tried for straight sipping. It's too good for a martini.

For martinis, I prefer Beefeater to Bombay, but the most important ingredient for a great martini is not the gin, there are several that work. For a great martini you absolutely need Noilly Prat.
09-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I've spent the last several weeks looking for the "perfect" all around lens, or lens combination. One week it was the quest for the best mid-zoom (Tamron 28-75?), the next week the search for the best combination of primes (that's probably the 31 and 77 to go with my 50 1.4?). Or maybe a combination of the two, or something else.

Being eager but ignorant, I've been online hours every day trying to reconcile the photozone MTF ratings with the Pop Photography SQF ratings and Dyxum scores. I poured through the other photography sites, looked at literally thousands of images on flikr and the rest, then watched the Camerlabs video reports and read hundreds of solid empirical posts on this forum and dpreview. Each day I knew more and understood less.

Then I realized I was getting sucked into the perfection paradox and forgetting that, for ordinary amateur photographers like me, good should be good enough. After all, the objective is to have fun, to challenge myself and others to be better, but not to take the world's greatest photographs.

If I wear Air Jordan's I still can't be like Michael. Thousands of dollars in camera equipment isn't going to make me into Ansel Adams.

No point really, just another travelogue from the road we're all on.
FHPhotographer

I do the same and I thought I was the only one who can spend hours looking at test charts and reviews for a lens. And its true its just photography have fun I may never be great. However and but... for others like you and me its also a 'hobby' can be an expensive hobby. However this is cheaper than say cars, that I was into earlier in life; about the same as my first hobby and love Hi Fi. But when you start looking at it for what it really is for folks like me and probably you its a hobby and that's what you do with hobbies. You enjoy spending time reading everything you can, you enjoy your equipment, you should get out when you can and take pics, you like spending money on lens, and whatever else makes us think we need to have more fun.

So spend time in your hobby, don't buy things to fast I find its better to read and save and plan, that's the fun part. If you have too deep of a wallet and just spend you really may not have as much fun as someone who has to save and plan, every think of that? I grew up poor and had to work hard for everything, my hobby Hi Fi I paid for with my paper route and believe me when I bought a $250 receiver I knew everything about it and how good it was compared to others and I got it as cheap as I could. It could take me a year to get something I wanted, and I just read in between buying; its great fun and you value things much more. I am not saying its bad to have the money and just buy what you want, I was just using an example of how you dont have to, to have fun.
09-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Tanqueray No. 10 is the best gin I've tried for straight sipping. It's too good for a martini.

For martinis, I prefer Beefeater to Bombay, but the most important ingredient for a great martini is not the gin, there are several that work. For a great martini you absolutely need Noilly Prat.

personally I'm a Vodka Martini type of guy.

But I could not agree more. Noilly Prat IS the vermouth to use. Italian Vermouth is just too sweet. French, nice and dry!

What is the topic of this thread?

09-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
What is the topic of this thread?
It's a philosophical thread about hi-fi, fine liquor and photography.
09-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #66
Veteran Member

In vodka due to national origin I'm a Finlandia sort of guy. In fact the water is sweeter than that over hyped Absolut. Swedka is a fine lower priced vodka here in the USA.

Re. modern lenses, if I had a choice between the ultra zoom and the 35, I wouldn't buy the camera! But ok, let's play, for my kind of shooting I'd get the macro 35 and pretend it's a fixed lens camera.

With all the ex-audiophiles here, what do you think of Absolute Sound in the 80's and 90's? For me at least it was the worst catnip, they had a way of stoking the anxieties while denying they were doing so, the classic snob thing. I think if anyone managed to wade through that to the other side, this lens thing isn't a big deal
09-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One just have to take a look at some of the photos taken withPentax M lenses. for eg. Some really beautiful quality stuff. Its whats behind the camera that matters.

Incidentally, a good glass of Australian Red will do me as first choice any day.
09-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
In vodka due to national origin I'm a Finlandia sort of guy. In fact the water is sweeter than that over hyped Absolut. Swedka is a fine lower priced vodka here in the USA.

Re. modern lenses, if I had a choice between the ultra zoom and the 35, I wouldn't buy the camera! But ok, let's play, for my kind of shooting I'd get the macro 35 and pretend it's a fixed lens camera.

With all the ex-audiophiles here, what do you think of Absolute Sound in the 80's and 90's? For me at least it was the worst catnip, they had a way of stoking the anxieties while denying they were doing so, the classic snob thing. I think if anyone managed to wade through that to the other side, this lens thing isn't a big deal
I only buy Polish potato vodkas, they have more flavour. Luksosowa is always in the freezer, and Chopin once in a while.

I used a Minolta Hi-Matic F fixed lens camera (35mm focal length, f/2.8) for fourteen years, but 24-450mm equivalent is a lot more fun. :~)

Never cared for Absolute Sound and never thought HP knew his ass from his elbow when it came to good sound. It was all about huge power and big bucks. To this day he has no concept of pace, rhythm or musicality.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-06-2008 at 02:21 PM.
09-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The discourse on this forum as contrasted with the others seems more informed, more informative, more given to looking for common ground and sharing experiences that will benefit all. I am well and truly pleased at the responses I got with this... although sometimes it's fun just to stir it up and see what shakes out. Thanks one and all,
FHPhotog
09-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Maybe a better question is, does the cost of Pentax primes justify the cost, or are there other, less expensive primes out there that deliver near-Pentax quality without the Pentax cost...
Yeah, there are millions of them. They don't deliver "near-Pentax" quality.....they are Pentax quality....because they are Pentax.

Some people turn their noses up at the thought of what they perceive as the extra trouble of using them, or can't bear the thought of focusing manually, or just can't imagine buying either used equipment or perhaps more particularly "obsolete" equipment....but that doesn't change the fact that that there is a glaringly obvious answer to your question.

Takumar.
09-07-2008, 04:52 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Interesting that you find a compromise in audio more acceptable than a compromise in photography.
It does look like a contradiction and I am glad you noticed. However, it is explicable if you look at the creation versus consumption divide. When I am creating audio I use an RME sound interface, Samplitude, Reaktor and other world-class gear. I wouldn't think of using less, even though I can buy an interface for 300 euros instead of 900 euros that would do most of the same job. But for me there is no room for compromise in the act of creation. I do not want to be limited by my tools more than necessary.

This equates perfectly with my use of the DA35, FA43, FA77 and Viv Series 1 105 Macro. I have tried other lenses but I can see that these are better.

But when it comes to listening to music or looking at photographs I try not to be so particular. If I looked at every photo with a microscope or listened to every song as a sound engineer, I wouldn't enjoy either very much.

Actually, I must agree. Sometimes Bombay has too much flavour for a martini and is better sipped on its own. On Vermouths I know little but must learn. Thanks for the tip!

As for vodka martinis... the less said the better.
09-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Some people turn their noses up at the thought of what they perceive as the extra trouble of using them, or can't bear the thought of focusing manually, or just can't imagine buying either used equipment or perhaps more particularly "obsolete" equipment....but that doesn't change the fact that that there is a glaringly obvious answer to your question.

Takumar.
Not just Takumar, of course, but the K, M, and A series lenses too. Not *all* are bargains, but many are. And of course, many of even the modern autofocus primes from Pentax are cheaper than anything equivalent from others - assuming they even offer anything comparable. For example, FA50/1.4 cheaper than any other 50/1.4, plus all of the DA limiteds (21, 35, 40, 70). Really, there are only a small handful of Pentax primes that are unusually expensive - the FA limiteds and DA* primes.