Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Peleng 8mm on K-1

I have a Peleng 8mm, a fisheye with circular image made in Belarus (former soviet lens maker Belomo).
The example I have is M42, but I decided to order the Pentax flange (similar but not compatible with T mount). 20 USD + 5 for shipment.
Tried a couple of shots with my K-1...then it started raining
It is a classic fisheye, like the old Nikon i guess. IQ is not great if I examine the image at 100%, but it's better than I expected. Other more conventional optics have less definition and worse contrast.
Tried defishing, with PTlens is better to crop the picture beforehand, other way the result is not very satisfying.
Given the extreme coverage, it's definitely a different animal, quite far from my Samyang 14mm rectilinear.
It's not a toy lens, and from what I understand it's a lot better than old designs like the T mount fisheye sold long ago as Vemar (or other brand names).
It has one more element than the Sammy 8mm, and I'm very surprised by the very limited fringing, that usually plagues this kind of lenses.
I'd be interested in Hemi Fisheye, that should defish circular fisheye's pictures in a more efficient way.
Unfortunately as far as I understand the activation is specific to the software platform, which means that the same serial can't be used on both Mac and Windows. Other way I could share it with a friend who works with Windows...
I'd be interested in the personal experience of other fellows using the Peleng on FF.
How is your example? Soviet lenses have a certain variability...
Do you just crop the circular image, or also defish?
Does your lens have a certain amount of play, in the mount? Mine was OK with the M42 flange but the PK mount moves a little.

Cheers

Paolo

12-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will you post a sample photo or two? Does it get any sharp around f8, f16?
Its an affordable fisheye lens that has been available in Kmount for a long time, but I haven't seen any FF Pentax reviews with it yet
12-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds an interesting option for fun shots.
Would love to see some samples (and maybe a user review) as I'm sure many other people would also be interested.
12-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hugin seems to be able to defish circular fisheye OK, although not seen any examples of images from your lens.
As it's free software, it might be worth a try although some do find it a tad difficult to use when unfamiliar with it.

Cheers,
Terry

12-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Hugin seems to be able to defish circular fisheye OK, although not seen any examples of images from your lens.
As it's free software, it might be worth a try although some do find it a tad difficult to use when unfamiliar with it.

Cheers,
Terry
I would agree with that. Never could get Hugin to make a panorama...
12-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I would agree with that. Never could get Hugin to make a panorama...
It really isn't difficult when you understand the interface.
Lot's of willing help available on the hugin-ptx user group.

Cheers,
Terry
12-29-2017, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Will try Hugin.
PTlens works very well cropping first. This way some of the original image gets lost.
I'd prefer the other way round.
It rained one and a half day without interruption, and it's still gray and cloudy.
I will try to shoot a few more pictures soon, I want to do it under strong light. I realize my assessment about fringing could be completely wrong cause it was overcast.

The lens is well built, with the exception of the front cap. A pity the back filters are not standard. It would be nice to fit two ND filters in place of the original ones, that make sense only with B&W film.

Focusing is very difficult, even wide open. Everything seems to be in focus, but if I pixel-peep later, I find out that proper focusing is required to get sharp pictures.
Before trusting the DOF scale I want to check if infinity is accurate.

Cheers

Paolo

12-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cyberjunkie this lens sounds interesting. Looking forward to your pictures.
Thanks for the tip,
barondla
01-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Paolo, which flange (similar but not compatible with T mount) are you using?
01-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The original one.
The vendors from Belarus or Ukraine who sell the lens on Ebay usually can provide the PK ring.
I purchased the lens second-hand, as new, with M42 mount.
I wanted to take care of the adaptation myself, but i found the original PK ring for 20 USD (plus another 5 for shipment), i contacted the vendor and bought the ring outside Ebay, using PayPal to pay.
The ring arrived in about 15 days, and works fine.
If you are interested, i can give you the email address, via PM.

ciao

Paolo
01-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Yeah, a PM would be great. Thanks.
01-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had no time to experiment with the Peleng.
It will take some time to have something meaningful to post, so I'm sharing a test.
Three pics, one is the full picture on FF (K-1), one run through PTlens before crropping, and one after.

Can't say you can pixel-peep that much cause the hosting site resamples the images.
Sharpness is quite good though.
There is some flare because of no hood. The sun was lateral and caused reflections on the opposite side.

cheers