Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax hood filter door

This might sound like a stupid question, but I lost the filter door from a 55-300 hood, and was wondering if anyone could verify if all the hood filter doors are the same size. I can't find a replacement on eBay, and it's gonna drive my OCD nuts, and so was considering buying a hood on eBay that has one already, and swap it. I can find cheaper hoods than the one specifically for the 55-300, but I don't want to spend money and find its useless.

Unless someone can tell me where to get a replacement door, which would be the best option.

12-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you are asking that the removable filter panel for the hood for lens X will fit the hood for lens y, in my experience no

I have gotten some gaffer tape ( leaves no residue ) which I plan on using when necessary

I am missing the removable filter panel on my DA 16 - 85 mm andHD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-30-2017 at 05:25 AM.
12-29-2017, 10:47 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are different. Sometimes one will for closely but not perfectly. I'd love to see someone make 3d printed replacements.
12-29-2017, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They are different. Sometimes one will for closely but not perfectly. I'd love to see someone make 3d printed replacements.
That would be great Brad. A quick search on google found these @Ragnarkov, hope this helps.

pentax 55-300 lens hood | eBay

12-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ragnarkov Quote
This might sound like a stupid question, but I lost the filter door from a 55-300 hood, and was wondering if anyone could verify if all the hood filter doors are the same size. I can't find a replacement on eBay, and it's gonna drive my OCD nuts, and so was considering buying a hood on eBay that has one already, and swap it. I can find cheaper hoods than the one specifically for the 55-300, but I don't want to spend money and find its useless.

Unless someone can tell me where to get a replacement door, which would be the best option.
AFAIK the hoods are different for each variant of the 55-300mm, so your best bet would be just to get a whole replacement hood.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

One of my 18-55mm zooms is missing the filter panel on the hood. I find that as long as I keep the hole pointed toward the ground, everything's fine. But yeah, you can drive yourself mad with those little details.
12-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A piece like this should be easily rendered by 3D printing. Anyone got plans to share?
12-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm missing a few and have several to share for blueprinting if anyone wants to get a 3D project started.