Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-lenses from Meyer Optik Görlitz : who tested ?

what about this series of modern K-mount lenses manufactured by Meyer Optik ? (goto Meyer Optik Goerlitz)
Has anyone tried these few series ? Did you see samples from these lenses ?

12-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Their asking prices are pretty steep for lenses that don't give you aperture information electronically, so their claimed "soap bubble bokeh" would have to be spectacular to provide a good case for buying.
12-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Let's not complain too much. It's good to see another manufacturer offering K mount lenses.
12-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Their asking prices are pretty steep
Its beyond steep, but
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Let's not complain too much. It's good to see another manufacturer offering K mount lenses.
sure.

It would be nice to see some shots taken with those lenses on Pentax cameras

12-30-2017, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

For anything priced beyond 2K, it's going to be hard to see any adoption from K mount users.
12-30-2017, 07:47 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Meyer Optik lenses are over-billed as well as badly over-priced, IMHO. The names imbue a certain cachet, but the lenses themselves have all the inconvenience of the originals while not being true to the namesake's design. In some cases, that may be a good thing. What is strange and what may be a bit of a red flag is the relative lack of reviews.

P.S. Releasing a manual or preset aperture lens in K-mount is fairly trivial if M42 is already supported.

Steve
12-30-2017, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In some cases, that may be a good thing.
$999 USD for the "new" Trioplan 50/2.9 is laughable unless it performs significantly better than the mediocre original.

Steve
12-31-2017, 05:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Releasing a manual or preset aperture lens in K-mount is fairly trivial if M42 is already supported.
Not trivial enough for Zeiss, apparently.

For example, their 2.8/15 is available in M42, but not K mount.

12-31-2017, 05:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Not trivial enough for Zeiss, apparently. For example, their 2.8/15 is available in M42, but not K mount.
Zeiss used to offer Kmount lenses, but dropped Kmount altogether. A user wrote to them and Zeiss replied that they would make a batch of Kmount of they get a large enough number of orders. I think they said over 100 orders for a specific lens. Its kind of sad that m42 has more support from Zeiss than Kmount, but i guess its because some Zeiss SLRs used to be m42?
12-31-2017, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
i guess its because some Zeiss SLRs used to be m42?
No, it's rather because the M42 mount lives on in industrial applications.
12-31-2017, 06:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I also suspect the folks who would be willing to accept a Zeiss lens in M42 with no electronics would be less happy with an OEM Zeiss K-mount solution that didn’t at least match Ka functionality...

-Eric
01-01-2018, 02:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I also suspect the folks who would be willing to accept a Zeiss lens in M42 with no electronics would be less happy with an OEM Zeiss K-mount solution that didn’t at least match Ka functionality...
There are several forum members using "Leitaxed" ZF lenses,
which are essentially "OEM Zeiss K-mount solutions that don’t ... match Ka functionality"

See here, for example:
Zeiss 25mm f/2 on Pentax K1 - PentaxForums.com
01-02-2018, 04:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Cost. This is the answer.
Most leitaxed lenses were bought second-hand, often with some patience involved, to contain the expense.
Some could even be already in possession of the photographer, as in my case.
I have two Leitz optics I routinely use, plus another old one I've never tried because it doesn't make much sense. All of them use the same leitaxed adapter.
If I had to buy the Summicron 2/90mm I would have gone a different way, buying some other lens.
If I found a nice Zeiss Classic lens in Nikon mount for a bargain price I would probably buy it with the intention of converting to PK.
If I really wanted it, I'd pay the premium for a ZK version and get automatic diaphragm and electric contacts.
No way people are going to pay a similar price for a fully manual lens!

Cheers

Paolo

01-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
If I really wanted it, I'd pay the premium for a ZK version and get automatic diaphragm and electric contacts.
Good luck getting a ZK version of the 2.8/15 or 2/25, or indeed any of the other newer lenses available in ZF mount!
01-03-2018, 03:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Good luck getting a ZK version of the 2.8/15 or 2/25, or indeed any of the other newer lenses available in ZF mount!
I have a saved search for them on Ebay. I get an email each time they show up.
On average there are at least half a dozen every year, even of the most desirable ones.
A good number go unsold, are relisted a couple of times, then disappear.
I guess they eventually get sold, in a way or another, probably at a slightly lower price

The focals under 28mm are the most useful, and the harder to find.
The 18mm is not in my radar, so I don't pay much attention, maybe it doesn't meet the half dozen figure I've given.
The 25mm does, I've seen a couple of them quite recently.
Many times you can't see the item, cause it's not meant to be shipped to your main address.
If I really want a certain hard to find lens, I search a few different Ebay sites (.com, .co.uk, .de, .it, .fr).
I just gave up trying to find the 25mm at a decent price, and bought a Samyang 24mm second hand, at a great price. I hope it's not decentered
If I didn't monitor Ebay.com, and my in-laws weren't in the US, it would have gone unnoticed...

Cheers

Paolo