Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
M42 for inaccessible Lenses

Anybody ever find a reservoir for M42 lenses that are compatible?

I'm of course talking about the Zeiss ZS. Alternatively, any compatible Nikkor or otherwise lens that would not lose aperture capability for an "X" to M42 to Pentax mount.

12-31-2017, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigoak Quote
With a few exceptions, almost all M42 lenses are compatible with K-mount cameras. It might be possible to compile a "bad" list and other contributors to this thread may list a few, but general considerations run like this:
  • Lens unable to mount cleanly due to body interference. Historically, this has meant lack of clearance for flash hump, accessory grip, or stuff like bellows.*
  • Clean mount impossible due to protrusions on the mount itself
  • Mirror interference on FF cameras
  • Extra-long aperture actuator pin fouls power-zoom contacts on KAF2 bodies (rare)
  • Lack of Manual/Auto switch requires physical modification of lens to full manual aperture (common)

Steve

* This is more common than it would seem and requires some diligence. For example, I have an Auto Rikenon 55/1.4 whose A/M switch will not clear the top plate on my Pentax Super Program, or Ricoh XR7 when screwing onto the adapter. The same lightly brushes the body of my K-3 when screwing on. Note that it mounts cleanly with adapter attached! This is a trap for the unwary as it cannot be unscrewed from the same cameras.
12-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a silver M42 CJZ Tessar that doesn't work on most M42 cameras, but works on K-mount cameras with the adapter. This is due to the depth of the mount where there is an aperture pin on later lenses.
12-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigoak Quote

I'm of course talking about the Zeiss ZS. Alternatively, any compatible Nikkor or otherwise lens that would not lose aperture capability for an "X" to M42 to Pentax mount.
I just reread your post and am not sure I answered properly. I think there may be a translation problem to English. If you are looking for Zeiss ZS series lenses to purchase new, a regular Internet site may be your best option. If you are looking used, a "wanted" listing on this site's marketplace might work as might spending some time on eBay.

If you are looking for lenses adaptable to K-mount that allow infinity focus without physically modifying the lens, M42 screw mount lenses made for a 45.46mm registration distance are your best bet. Non-AI Nikon lenses may be usable on a K-mount body, but the fit is rough. There is no adapter that allows Nikkor lenses on a K-mount body without an auxiliary lens built into the adapter.

There are various other makes, all with registration distance greater than 45.46mm that may be modified to fit K-mount. The most commonly used approach is with a Leitax kit. Their Web site has complete information for conversion from Leica R, Olympus OM, Nikon F, and Contax/Yashica:
Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax
In addition, there are users on this site who have successfully converted various other maker's lenses to K-mount. Note that for ALL of the above cases, automatic aperture actuation is not retained (aperture is full manual) and metering is done with the lens stopped-down.

Steve

01-01-2018, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Steve, there is also the "multi-mount" mount ring which replaces the standard Pentax camera mount. What's that called? I have a bit of a fuzzy head New Year's Day, so apologies for not knowing the name right off the bat.

Basically, you remove the existing mount on your Pentax camera and replace it with this special mount. Then you can mount Nikon non AI lenses directly to the camera. You can still mount Pentax lenses just fine also. Weather-proofing is lost, I believe, once the mounts are changed. That lose of flexibility may be OK for some.

Edit - a Google search for "Pentax replacement mount" found it: http://adaptist.weebly.com/

and an article about it: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/03/03/pentax-multi-mount-resurrect...ithout-adapter