Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 250 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 05:46 AM - 3 Likes   #106
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
One thing this thread has made me realize is that there is a gap in my bag of 6 primes from 15 to 100 mm. That gap is 28mm which would be the focal length providing a true normal on APS-C. I'm willing to bet a HD DA 28 f/2.8 wouldn't be an engineering challenge and would sell quite well....just a thought....
There aren't many lenses I'd want to buy these days, as I'm more or less set... but I'd be very interested in a HD DA28 f/2.8. I know it's not vastly different in field of view to the FA31, but the APS-C format and slower aperture would allow for a more compact design, like the rest of the DA Limited range.

01-06-2018, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Got the 21ltd recently. Don't feel any pull towards 15. 21 is already pushing my limits and reserved for occasions when I can't step back or need anti-flare feature, so at the moment I have no desire to go any wider. I rather stitch a panorama if I need wider view.
They are quite different lenses despite that 15 mm seems so close to 21 mm. As Saltwater Images stated in an earlier post, one is a moderate wide-angle or even can be considered a normal-wide lens while the other is a super wide. That is how I use mine. I use the DA 15 for architecture and close in indoor photography or wherever shooting is in a tight space where ultra wide is needed. I use the DA 21 as my super compact walk around lens in town (NYC and Washington DC) . general outdoor and landscape photography and also for photographing at family events. Because of its versatility the DA 21 is probably my most used limited lens, but the DA 15 also has a very valuable place in my camera bag. For that matter so do the DA 40 and 70 limiteds. The 70 probably gets the least use of mine, but in situations where 70 mm is needed it is my go to lens. Very sharp and very compact.

---------- Post added 01-06-18 at 08:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There aren't many lenses I'd want to buy these days, as I'm more or less set... but I'd be very interested in a HD DA28 f/2.8. I know it's not vastly different in field of view to the FA31, but the APS-C format and slower aperture would allow for a more compact design, like the rest of the DA Limited range.
I am very lucky that I have my F 28 mm f2.8 from my film days. While it does not look like my limiteds it feels like one, same 49 mm filter thread, mostly metal construction and just as compact. Every so often one pops on the used market. Worth looking for!

Last edited by jddwoods; 01-06-2018 at 06:36 AM.
01-06-2018, 06:35 AM   #108
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
One thing this thread has made me realize is that there is a gap in my bag of 6 primes from 15 to 100 mm. That gap is 28mm which would be the focal length providing a true normal on APS-C. I'm willing to bet a HD DA 28 f/2.8 wouldn't be an engineering challenge and would sell quite well....just a thought....

hold on there

I am lusting after current limiteds

I don't need you to add another one

especially when I have a Kiron 28mm 2.0 P/KA
01-06-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with all the others who've said the DA and FA limiteds have well-earned reputations. Do you have the K-1? If you plan to stay with APS-c, your dollar will go farther with the DA Limiteds. True, they are slower aperture-wise, but all are strong performers. Like Savoche mentioned, some people prefer the older SMC versions, something I've often read in relation to the DA15.

The combination of 15|35|70 would serve well and you could almost carry the whole kit in your pockets. The 35 is close in focal length to your 40, but it is a very good performer and also gives you some macro capability.

Can only get one? If you tend to shoot wide, get the 15. If you tend to shoot close, get the 70.

If budget is not a factor, just get them all The three FA limiteds are almost universally considered the best of the Pentax breed for primes and you don't need a full frame camera to appreciate them.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH. Any way you go will get your a good lens.

01-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

I don't need you to add another one

especially when I have a Kiron 28mm 2.0 P/KA
That's a good lens
I'd exchange my two 2/28mm (Vivitar and Kiron, both PK) for a PKA version!
Btw, they are not cheap nor easy to find...
Back at its time, the Kiron/Vivitar was one of the best fast 28mm in the market.
Same with the 2/24mm (unfortunately mine is a PK version too).
Both are among the best third party wide angles, AFAIK.

Cheers

Paolo
01-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I rather like to keep background meaningful
Yuh - I was taking that as assumed, even if meaningful means different things to different people
01-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #112
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
That's a good lens
I'd exchange my two 2/28mm (Vivitar and Kiron, both PK) for a PKA version!
Btw, they are not cheap nor easy to find...
Back at its time, the Kiron/Vivitar was one of the best fast 28mm in the market.
Same with the 2/24mm (unfortunately mine is a PK version too).
Both are among the best third party wide angles, AFAIK.

Cheers

Paolo
I got lucky and found it in the Market Place

---------- Post added 01-06-18 at 12:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
I agree with all the others who've said the DA and FA limiteds have well-earned reputations. Do you have the K-1? If you plan to stay with APS-c, your dollar will go farther with the DA Limiteds. True, they are slower aperture-wise, but all are strong performers. Like Savoche mentioned, some people prefer the older SMC versions, something I've often read in relation to the DA15. . . .
no I have a K 3 and K 3 II not interested in full frame

01-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #113
Pentaxian

21mm on APS-C is pretty close to 35mm -- and 35mm was at one time the default lens field of view, before 50mm came into vogue for that purpose. I wouldn't say the 21mm is problematically wide on APS-C.
01-10-2018, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #114
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
well,

" . . . The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley [ often go astray ] . . . "

Robert Burns Poem -"To a Mouse"

my plans to fund purchases of limited lenses hit a snag

Spent $ 5 on the lotteries

won $ 2
01-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #115
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
through the generosity of my wife, and my timely notice of a posting by a forum member in the Market Place

I am waiting for the arrival of an " experienced " smc Pentax 21mm F3.2 Limited along with its original box, front and rear caps and hood

I am not sure if there is any operator manual or written instructions for that lens or " limiteds " in general and if so, such info will be sent with the lens

can anyone with a SMC 21mm limited fill me in on whether such documentation exist and if so, how I might obtain that?
01-15-2018, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #116
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
can anyone with a SMC 21mm limited fill me in on whether such documentation exist and if so, how I might obtain that?
The only documentation I'm aware of is the following Pentax DA lens manual, which is kind of generic and covers all DA models:

http://s1.media.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/media/28c5f01c870bc44ed92b01d5f9b81851/K...011-OPM-EN.pdf
01-15-2018, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #117
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The only documentation I'm aware of is the following Pentax DA lens manual, which is kind of generic and covers all DA models:

http://s1.media.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/media/28c5f01c870bc44ed92b01d5f9b81851/K...011-OPM-EN.pdf
it may be generic but it does have specific information about the 21mm in several places, thank you

it is just what I was hoping for
01-16-2018, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #118
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
if anyone cares

Rationale time

why the SMC Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 Limited as my first Limited ?

1 suggestions of the contributors to this thread thank you all

2 availability and price

after considering the comments, I was looking at either the DA 15 or DA 21, depending on cost and availability - was only considering the Limited primes
and I am satisfied with my DA 40mm XS as well as the D FA 100mm macro so I didn't look at the 35mm or the 40mm or the 70mm

worried that DA 15 was too wide causing distortion and that it was F 4

knew I couldn't afford new

so realistically looking at SMC as opposed to HD

3 was concentrating on a SMC DA 15 in the forum's market place but had to convince spouse before contacting seller and seeing if there was any flexibility in listed price

4 suddenly found a SMC DA 21 being listed by a member leaving Pentax ( sorry to hear that ) and talked to spouse

5 contacted seller and " fought " him down $ .01 so I could maintain my tradition of never paying " listed " price

so now, I have the HD Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 16 - 85mm wr as my " widest " lens and my SMC Pentax-DA 1.8 50 mm as my " fastest " lens

primes: 21mm, 28mm, 40mm, 50mm and 100mm

zooms: 16-85mm, 18-55mm, 55-300mm, *70-200mm and 150-450mm

three designed for full frame: 28mm, *70-200mm and 150-450mm

all Pentax except for the Kiron 28mm PK/A manual lens

most " experienced " and bought via the forum's market place, thank you to all of those sellers

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

all contributors to this thread are hereby awarded " Bonus Points " for adding to my knowledge by providing useful information

" Bonus Points " are useable at your favorite " café " for the purchase of beverages assuming you add an adequate amount of local $$

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-19-2018 at 10:13 AM.
01-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
So a few images of "See, this looks great" makes a case for the lens? How about some actual demonstrable technical strengths? I'd show you some but instead, let me show you a massively glaring weakness in this lens.

look at the girl in green on the left's face. It's flattened and distorted.

a decentering issue?

For fun, here's a group shot with similar framing with the DA*55 lens:

No problems here.
Great to see examples. First, it'd be great to compare a 31mm LTD with another at approximately the same focal length. And why not just a grid to see the distortion? The DA*55mm is not a fair comparison, if for no other reason, the focal length.

Also, how are you post processing these images? Shot RAW or jpeg? What, if anything, are you using to correct for the distortion? Is it auto via the lens profile or is it done manually and with what software?

I'm not arguing your observations and results; I'm trying to better understand what we are looking at and what might be the solution other than dismissing the 31mm LTD.
01-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was wondering if lens profiles had been applied too.
I don't have that lens but had considered it at times. This is good info.