Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Which single Limited you should buy will depend on what sort of photography you prefer, and what other lenses you already have. But let's not fool ourselves; you won't stop at just one
Yes, this is sad true - regardless of what sort of photography you prefer you will end up with all 'Limiteds' on your shelf

Years ago I bought da21 and da40 and told myself "I don't intend to buy more of them". HA HA HA, I was so stupid and naive... now have all these 'da Limiteds', all of them in HD version (ok, da40 SMC is still waiting to be replaced by HD version). Why HD over SMC? Simply in my opinion the picture clarity is higher, photos make '3D' impression and, what is very important for me, the flare resistance is better. No 'stars effect' in da15 and da21? I can live without it.

Aswering the question which lens to take (already having 40mm): I would say da21. It is very useful focal length giving perspective I really love. I believe it is most used by me 'Limited' lens. The next in queue would be da70.

Da15? Sometimes I love it and sometimes hate, especially its field curvature.

Regards,
Paulo

01-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #17
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own and use the smc DA 35 macro and the FA 43 and prefer the 35. it is very sharp and has a noticable pleasing colour-rendering. The 43 is „only“ sharp and has nothing too special in my experience. I bought it as a nifty-fifty thing on K-1 but the 35 is more exciting on K-5iis. However, the DA*55 beats them both exept corner sharpness on the 35.
01-01-2018, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Yes the HD DA (& DA) Limited's are worth the premium price for APS-C shooters and they live up to a stellar reputation for those of us who shoot them. That's why I have the HD DA 15/21/35/40/70 set - each is unique with its own special uses and characteristics. I started with the 21 and loved it...added the 40 and was blown away by it's sharpness...had to have the 70 after that and became smitten with its pixie dust for portraits...and onward the addiction went...

With the HD DA Limited's you trade off a slightly wider aperture in favour of compact size, superb build quality, and buttery smooth manual focus. I believe the ISO performance of modern Pentax DSLR's offsets the compromise of a smaller maximum aperture. Sure faster glass offers shallower DOF but there are a lot of creative ways to isolate a subject including; shafts of light, moody lighting, plain backgrounds, colour pops, crushing ambient light and more.

As an APS-C shooter - If I could have only one it would be the HD DA 21 which is roughly equal to 31mm with the crop factor. It's a highly versatile focal length. That said; if I was a K-1 shooter it would be the FA 31.

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 01-01-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added text
01-01-2018, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any field curvature with the HD20-40 is easily corrected in post. The flexibility the lens gives, combined with the quality of the output puts it at the head of the Limited queue as far as I'm concerned. It hasn't got the Limited monicker for nothing, and is a wonderful alternative for those not wedded to primes.

01-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Any field curvature with the HD20-40 is easily corrected in post. The flexibility the lens gives, combined with the quality of the output puts it at the head of the Limited queue as far as I'm concerned. It hasn't got the Limited monicker for nothing, and is a wonderful alternative for those not wedded to primes.
Agreed by far my most used Limited.
01-01-2018, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we should be careful here... Field curvature - where the distance of perfect focus at the centre and borders of the frame is different (see this article) - can't be fixed in post-processing. Are you thinking of geometric distortion instead? That can certainly be fixed easily enough. But my issue with the 20-40 is field curvature. I say "issue" - it's just an idiosyncrasy of the lens... in fact, it's one of the reasons some people find border performance even worse than it really is... but it can prove troublesome depending on the type of image you're shooting. I find it noticeable on the 20-40, even when stopped down.

I still think it's a very good lens, though

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-01-2018 at 04:42 PM.
01-01-2018, 06:06 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

I have all of the DA Limited primes but I do not have any of the FA limiteds or the DA limited zoom. My comments:

1 are they worth their reputations. ABSOLUTELY! when I look at all of my pictures all of my best ones seem to be from the DA Limiteds.

2 I notice that the older FAs are faster, is that because of the different focal lengths or other reasons. I cannot say since I do not have the FA Ltds.

3 if only one can be chosen, [ excluding the 40 mm, I have the 40mm XS ] which one would be the best? No way you can answer this, you cannot have just one. My different reasons why only one could be chosen:
a. DA 15 Limited, wider than any other lens I own, no overlap with DA 16-85 zoom, very sharp
b. DA 21 Limited, Most versatile prime lens I have. When I go to New York City or Philadelphia for street shooting, I could get by with this lens alone, however there is room for the DA 40 in a pocket. My personal favorite.
c. DA 35 Limited, Normal focal length, macro capability.
d. DA 40 Limited, compact and sharp, pairs well with the DA 21 for a compact walk around kit.
e. DA 70 Limited, this is the sharpest of my limiteds, may be even sharper than the DA 35 macro, fast and compact

Last edited by jddwoods; 01-01-2018 at 06:57 PM.
01-01-2018, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turns out there is a definitive answer

The FA 77mm Limited is the Greatest Pentax Lens - Pentax Lens Tournament | PentaxForums.com

I'd personally put the SMC DA 15mm and FA 31mm as runners up. The 40mm also deserves a shout-out for how good it is for its size.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #24
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
G"DAY Aslyfox
Well answered by previous posters.
Are YOU unhappy with your current lenses? Is the umph missing ?
Then the Limiteds are the answer ,,, But are YOU ready for them!!! j/k

Have a nice day Dave
01-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

My thoughts:

FA77 - wonderful, my favorite lens by far. I'll take a good look at the DFA*85 when it comes out, but I can foresee myself being like those musicians who keep some old junker of a guitar because they just love the way it sounds, even if it's technically not the best instrument.

FA43 - garbage, IMHO. Find my review on the Lens Review section of this site. Terrible field curvature makes it unusable, among other issues.

FA31 - marvelous on a crop camera and very middling on the K-1. It's not bad it's just very...average. There's some major distortion issues just past the 1/3 posts of the frame that can really mess up a photo. I see it in faces of group shots, the people toward the edges look pretty messed up. If this weren't the most expensive prime Pentax makes, it would be one thing, but the price is just too high for the middling performance it offers on the K-1. I'm going to try out the FA35; while I don't expect it to be better, if it can offer 80-90% of what the FA31 does, I'll keep it and sell my FA31 in a second.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think we should be careful here... Field curvature - where the distance of perfect focus at the centre and borders of the frame is different (see this article) - can't be fixed in post-processing. Are you thinking of geometric distortion instead? That can certainly be fixed easily enough. But my issue with the 20-40 is field curvature. I say "issue" - it's just an idiosyncrasy of the lens... in fact, it's one of the reasons some people find border performance even worse than it really is... but it can prove troublesome depending on the type of image you're shooting. I find it noticeable on the 20-40, even when stopped down.

I still think it's a very good lens, though
Field curvature is especially problematic because it means you can't shoot at wide apertures and have reliable focusing with thin DoF; you focus on, say, a face and expect the body in front to be in focus too (by virtue of DoF) and it will be way off. It can make a lens totally unusable, as I found with FA43.
01-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
3 if only one can be chosen, [ excluding the 40 mm, I have the 40mm XS ] which one would be the best?
As others have mentioned, it really depends on what focal length you want.

I use the 31 a lot on FF and APS-C (I like it as a "normal" lens). The 21 is good, the 15 I think is better, but the focal length may be less generally applicable than someone less wide. I like the 43 as a normal lens on FF, but was never particularly happy with it on APS-C. 77 is very nice as a short telephoto on APS-C.

For only one, I would suggest the FA31, as it is works well with APS-C, and also as a wider lens on FF, if that is something you would consider in the future.
01-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
but it can prove troublesome depending on the type of image you're shooting. I find it noticeable on the 20-40, even when stopped down.
When field curvature is not eliminated when stopping down, it is not field curvature because as you stop down, the depth of focus increases, masking the curved focal surface. Something else is at play here.
01-01-2018, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the SMC DA 15 & 40, the HD DA 70, the HD DA 20-40, the FA 31, and the FA 77. I love them all.

Many said enough about the lenses but the most important question is what other lenses do you have and what do you want to accomplish that you can't now.

Also to run counter to the group think - you don't need even one of these to make stunning shots. There are images you may need these for, but most of your images won't require them.

It's easier to chase equipment than improve technique
01-01-2018, 11:12 PM - 10 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
FA43 - garbage, IMHO. Terrible field curvature makes it unusable
My reaction to that comment (hand held selfie with the FA43 on the K-1):

Stopped down I'd say it's more than usable.

And on crop at f/2.4, sharp enough from edge to edge.

QuoteQuote:
FA31 - very middling on the K-1. It's not bad it's just very...average.
Wow. All I can say is that is totally at odds with my experience, and a legion of others.

Totally average.

And yes, it is OK on crop.

01-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Mike: sorry, yes I was referring to geometric distortion. With that out of the equation, I haven't noticed any field curvature issues.