Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2018, 02:47 PM - 7 Likes   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Yes, love the 77. It's the best lens I've ever used on Pentax. I've never tried the FA*85, which I hear is better even, but the 77 is my favorite lens by a long stretch.

The 43 is confusing because it's not a particularly difficult focal length, so its issues are perplexing. Either of the FA50's is quite a bit better (and far less expensive) than it.
My 43ltd is my favourite lens and its clearly a cut above some other very good lenses i have, although I dont own and 31 or 77. There are some tricks though.

1/ Calibrate at you working distance. I made the mistake of calibrating the 43 at close distances and it wasn’t happy.

2/ Only use the centre AF points. The centre af points are F2.8 (and colour sensitive) while the outer point are F5.6. Use the field curvature to your advantage, it helps you to focus and recompose as the focal distance remains constant as you rotate the camera.

3/Use between f2.8 and f5.6 where the incredible centre sharpness and microcontrast produce a superb 3D effect better than any other lens. The Key for 3D effect is to use a small enough aperture to get the whole subject completely in focus with the background/surrounds slightly out of focus, ie a photojounalistic approach.

4/Don’t photograph dinosaurs if you want to sleep at night!

01-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #137

I have owned 3 of the limiteds in my Pentax experience. The 21, 40 and 70. The 70 I traded away for the DA*55 and while I love the *55 (one of my favorite lenses) I do miss the 70 and have considered getting another copy.

The 40 was my first and while it took great pictures right away it took me some time to warm up to it due to it's diminutive size. It just felt awkward at first. But now I can't tell you how much I value a nice small, well built prime. So easy to carry and very inconspicuous.

The 21 is probably my all time favorite lens. So small...such a great focal length...build quality is what you would expect from a limited...and the colors and character of this lens (I'm looking at you starbursts) are incredible. If I was forced to get rid of all but one lens it would be the 21.

So yeah...in my experience the limiteds live up to the hype. And pretty affordable really for what you get in the DA limiteds!
03-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Limiteds

I have the 31/43/77 and enjoy all of them. The 77 is by far my favorite. My wife calls it her magic lens, and always grabs it for herself when we go out shooting. The 31 also gives great results, and I like it much better on the ff K-1 than on the crop-sensor cameras because I tend to prefer longer focal lengths. I like the 43 very much, though its main feature for me is that it is simply a great performing normal lens, and I do not find it producing the magical rendering and 3-D effects of the 77.
04-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #139
Veteran Member

I had the complete set of DA limiteds (15,21,35,40,70), my 21 and 40 took a beating in a couple of mishaps. Replaced the 21 right away, and I'm missing the 40 much more than I thought i would. .

05-01-2018, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #140
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
The problem with the limiteds is that there is no such thing as only one. Once you have one, . . .

well I did buy a SMC Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 Limited and now

I am in big trouble :

1 I know, for a fact, that we both agree that we don't have any $ budgeted for photographic equipment, nutting, zero, na da

[ on the other hand, I really can't complain on how much I have been acquire since 2015 ]

2 I kept reading about lenses I don't have - SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro and SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited primarily

3 I decided to rent a lens for use at Yellowstone National Park for 3 or 4 days in 2 weeks just to see - - - - -

4 the DA wasn't available so I am renting a SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited

[ any suggestions on how to use it would be appreciated ]

5 I know that I am doomed for disappointment

[ not in the lens but in my lack of skill and the fact that I CANNOT afford to buy it - does any one want to trade ( even up ) a good copy for my Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA ? ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-01-2018 at 06:07 AM.
05-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #141
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
well I did buy a SMC Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 Limited and now

I am in big trouble :

1 I know, for a fact, that we both agree that we don't have any $ budgeted for photographic equipment, nutting, zero, na da

[ on the other hand, I really can't complain on how much I have been acquire since 2015 ]

2 I kept reading about lenses I don't have - SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro and SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited primarily

3 I decided to rent a lens for use at Yellowstone National Park for 3 or 4 days in 2 weeks just to see - - - - -

4 the DA wasn't available so I am renting a SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited

[ any suggestions on how to use it would be appreciated ]

5 I know that I am doomed for disappointment

[ not in the lens but in my lack of skill and the fact that I CANNOT afford to buy it - does any one want to trade ( even up ) a good copy for my Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA ? ]
Dilemma, alright.

The 35 is sharp, the 31 is beautiful ...

05-02-2018, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just a note to readers of this thread : reviews of the three FA Limited have been completed and published on the homepage.

05-02-2018, 05:38 AM   #143
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Just a note to readers of this thread : reviews of the three FA Limited have been completed and published on the homepage.
SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews - 12/06/17

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews - 04/16/18

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews - 04/04/18

[ in case readers don't know, reviews of all Pentax lenses ( by users and some " In Depth " ) and reviews by users of some third party lenses can be found by going up to " Lenses " and following the links ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-02-2018 at 06:22 AM.
05-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Dilemma, alright.

The 35 is sharp, the 31 is beautiful ...
I have them both, and like them both. Different lenses for different situations.
05-25-2018, 05:06 AM   #145
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm under attack ( again )

ok, I have no budget [ but there is Father's Day and the Anniversary comes up in September ]

yet the

HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro

or

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro

is calling my name loudly

but I already have the following lenses

SMC Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS

SMC Pentax-DA 1.8 50 mm

SMC Pentax-D FA 2.8 100 mm macro

and

HD Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 16 - 85 mm wr

so why should I even be listening

and if I do to respond to the voices in my head

[voices in my head - no problem so long as I don't lose the argument correct ?? ]

what do I try to sell

to make room ?
05-25-2018, 05:27 AM   #146
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ok, I have no budget [ but there is Father's Day and the Anniversary comes up in September ]

yet the

HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro

or

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro

is calling my name loudly

but I already have the following lenses

SMC Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS

SMC Pentax-DA 1.8 50 mm

SMC Pentax-D FA 2.8 100 mm macro

and

HD Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 16 - 85 mm wr

so why should I even be listening

and if I do to respond to the voices in my head

[voices in my head - no problem so long as I don't lose the argument correct ?? ]

what do I try to sell

to make room ?
To each his own, but here are my two cents.

I own the 21, 43 (had the 40 LTD for a while), DFA macro WR, 16-85, FA50,so you could say I'm somewhat in the same boat as you.

I also tested the 35 macro Limited and 31 Limited for pentaxforums so have good experience with these.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a 21, 35, 40 and 50, plus a 100 macro. There's too much redundancy. If you like your 50 and really want the 35, you could loose the 40. If you're like me and love 40mm on APS-C, then 35 makes it redundant. If you want it for macro, you already have the 100.

The 35 macro LTD is a fine lens, but I never fell in love with it. There are lenses that I don't want to let go after testing them, others that come and go without me missing them. The 35 is one of these.

It has many, many fans, however, so opinions may vary.
05-25-2018, 05:33 AM   #147
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
To each his own, but here are my two cents.

I own the 21, 43 (had the 40 LTD for a while), DFA macro WR, 16-85, FA50,so you could say I'm somewhat in the same boat as you.

I also tested the 35 macro Limited and 31 Limited for pentaxforums so have good experience with these.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a 21, 35, 40 and 50, plus a 100 macro. There's too much redundancy. If you like your 50 and really want the 35, you could loose the 40. If you're like me and love 40mm on APS-C, then 35 makes it redundant. If you want it for macro, you already have the 100.

The 35 macro LTD is a fine lens, but I never fell in love with it. There are lenses that I don't want to let go after testing them, others that come and go without me missing them. The 35 is one of these.

It has many, many fans, however, so opinions may vary.
thanks

you have nailed the problem

I tried the FA 31mm F1.8 as a rental at Yellowstone last week

right now, I have to step back and review but it didn't work its magic for me.

I use the 100mm for macro when I try macro and I like it a lot

the 28mm and 50mm gets little use

and I like the 40mm XS and 21mm limited

is Dr. Lucy Van Pelt in ??
05-25-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #148
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently purchased a used copy of the HD DA35 Ltd Macro and will be using it in the SIC for June, so expect to see alot of exposures from it soon...

so far, it's a stunner and has essentially erased my lust for the HD 20-40 zoom....
05-25-2018, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #149
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I recently purchased a used copy of the HD DA35 Ltd Macro and will be using it in the SIC for June, so expect to see alot of exposures from it soon...

so far, it's a stunner and has essentially erased my lust for the HD 20-40 zoom....
Yeah, I saw you snagged one and I've seen some nice posts where you have used it

I will read any review if you post one
05-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #150
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I saw you snagged one and I've seen some nice posts where you have used it

I will read any review if you post one
no problem - it won't be until the end of June, but on first blush, it really is an amazing lens....