Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 250 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #211
Forum Member

I have the HD 21mm Ltd, and I can’t decide which should be the next one for my APS-C kit out of the 40 or the 70. I’ve finally given up on trying to rely on manual focus M lenses on my APS-C body, mostly because getting critical focus is a huge pain without split prism or micro prism focusing screens. Which leaves me with both a short portrait and a long portrait prime as critical gaps in my lens collection (I’ll use my M lenses on my K1000 though). I’ve been growing on defaulting to my M100 1:2.8 on full frame, so I’m feeling like the HD70 might be the better choice first, but the 40 seems like such a versatile focal length for street and snapshots on the smaller sensor...

08-30-2018, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowjester Quote
I have the HD 21mm Ltd, and I can’t decide which should be the next one for my APS-C kit out of the 40 or the 70. I’ve finally given up on trying to rely on manual focus M lenses on my APS-C body, mostly because getting critical focus is a huge pain without split prism or micro prism focusing screens. Which leaves me with both a short portrait and a long portrait prime as critical gaps in my lens collection (I’ll use my M lenses on my K1000 though). I’ve been growing on defaulting to my M100 1:2.8 on full frame, so I’m feeling like the HD70 might be the better choice first, but the 40 seems like such a versatile focal length for street and snapshots on the smaller sensor...
I own the SMC 40 Ltd and the HD 70 Ltd. They are very very good. So good in fact that with an FA 77 in my collection I still keep the DA 70. In your situation I'm not sure what I would suggest. With the hood off the DA 70 is really small but the DA 40 is even smaller. I suggest you get the 70 - because I think the difference in focal length makes it a more useful contrast to the 21. As for the 40, grab the XS version cheap and you'll be set!
08-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #213
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

as good as the 40mm is, if I had purchased the 35mm Ltd before the 40mm, I probably would have never bought the 40 except out of curiosity...

the 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited is that good....
08-31-2018, 01:09 AM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
as good as the 40mm is, if I had purchased the 35mm Ltd before the 40mm, I probably would have never bought the 40 except out of curiosity...

the 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited is that good....
Too true. I did but the 40mm after the 35mm and I only keep it around for the small size, I even had it up for sale for a while but no bites.

If you want a protrait lens then 70mm on APS-C is a very good length and the 70mm limited is a superb lens. The 40mm will be more versatile for general use but not as good a portrait length.

Don't hurt your brain thinking too hard - buy both (or get the 35mm instead of the 40mm).

08-31-2018, 01:28 AM   #215
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2,8 XS

without a doubt, it is the best lens in its class

and I recently got an " experienced " SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

there is a difference in material ( how it is made ) and size

the Limited:

Weight 90g (3.2oz)
Dimensions 63mm x 15mm (2.5 in. x 0.6 in.)

the XS:

Weight 51g (1.8oz)
Dimensions 63mm x 9.2mm (2.5 in. x 0.36 in.)

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - What's in the Box / Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

however as far as what is possible with either of them photographically - very close in my mind

and in the in depth review [ which compared the DA 35mm F2.4 as well ] states:

The 40 Limited has the best build, the best looks, and the best features—but for a relatively steep price.

The DA 35mm f/2.4 and the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS also have much to recommend them. The DA 35, though it's as insubstantial and feature-poor as its bargain basement price tag might suggest, is a great performer right from f/2.4, and has the advantage (depending on your perspective) of being 5mm (effectively 7.5mm) wider, which can certainly come in handy in certain situations. The DA 40 XS is by far the smallest and lightest APS-C lens currently being made, and is a brilliant street-shooting tool, much like its skinny-but-not-emaciated elder brother.. . .

Ultimately, any of these three will get you great image quality, durable construction (if a bit chintzy, in the case of the DA 35mm), and a compact and lightweight package. . . .

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - The Bottom Line | PentaxForums.com Reviews

so if cost is an issue or you don't want that big hunk of metal go for the XS, you will be fine
08-31-2018, 11:19 AM   #216
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

the Limited:

Weight 90g (3.2oz)
Dimensions 63mm x 15mm (2.5 in. x 0.6 in.)

the XS:

Weight 51g (1.8oz)
Dimensions 63mm x 9.2mm (2.5 in. x 0.36 in.)

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - What's in the Box / Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

however as far as what is possible with either of them photographically - very close in my mind

and in the in depth review [ which compared the DA 35mm F2.4 as well ] states:

The 40 Limited has the best build, the best looks, and the best features—but for a relatively steep price.

The DA 35mm f/2.4 and the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS also have much to recommend them. The DA 35, though it's as insubstantial and feature-poor as its bargain basement price tag might suggest, is a great performer right from f/2.4, and has the advantage (depending on your perspective) of being 5mm (effectively 7.5mm) wider, which can certainly come in handy in certain situations. The DA 40 XS is by far the smallest and lightest APS-C lens currently being made, and is a brilliant street-shooting tool, much like its skinny-but-not-emaciated elder brother.. . .

Ultimately, any of these three will get you great image quality, durable construction (if a bit chintzy, in the case of the DA 35mm), and a compact and lightweight package. . . .

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - The Bottom Line | PentaxForums.com Reviews

so if cost is an issue or you don't want that big hunk of metal go for the XS, you will be fine
Cost is really only an issue for me for which lens I will end up buying first. Ideally, I'll get all of the Limited primes, maybe even the 20-40.
08-31-2018, 11:22 AM   #217
Veteran Member

I only have one, the 77, but agree with others that one makes all the others look like must haves regardless of price. Fortunately (or unfortunately)for me price keeps me with just one it is amazing though.

08-31-2018, 12:12 PM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cost is really only an issue for me for which lens I will end up buying first. Ideally, I'll get all of the Limited primes, maybe even the 20-40.
I have the SMC DA 15, HD DA 20-40, FA 31, SMC DA 40, HD DA 70, and the FA 77. They are all very good.
08-31-2018, 01:25 PM   #219
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
don't forget

the DA limiteds are not alone

there are the FA limiteds as well

if you are truly interested in collection of all of the Pentax Limiteds

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-31-2018 at 02:51 PM.
08-31-2018, 02:45 PM   #220
Pentaxian

Coming in a bit late to the discussion. I have the FA 43 and DA 15 limiteds. The OP asked 3 questions.

Are they worth their reputations?
Absolutely yes for the DA 15. It has legendary flare resistance, wonderful colors, and starbursts galore.
I'm still undecided about the FA 43. It's my problem not a lens fault; composing interesting shots at 43mm doesn't come naturally for me. I do plan to practice more with this lens.

I notice that the older FAs are faster, is that because of the different focal lengths or other reasons
The newer DA limiteds are more compact than their FA siblings. The lens designers prioritized size over speed.

If only one can be chosen, [ excluding the 40 mm, I have the 40mm XS ] which one would be the best?
IMO the 15. It's a unique ultrawide lens that gives very distinctive shots. The 31 and 77 also get a lot of praise.
08-31-2018, 02:46 PM   #221
Forum Member

don't forget

the DA limiteds are not alone

there are the FA limiteds as well

if you are truly interested in collect all of the Pentax Limiteds
TBF, there's a good chance that I do end up going down that rabbit hole one day; I might actually get a 36x24mm image sensor digital camera in the future, but at the moment I'm mostly interested in the reduced bulk of the APS-C cameras and their lenses. I don't really see the advantage of using the FA Ltd's with my film bodies, as they're full manual and don't support auto aperture or autofocus (K1000, and either an MX or Km). I'm probably going to start investing in the nice SMC K glass for those.
08-31-2018, 03:07 PM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If only one can be chosen, [ excluding the 40 mm, I have the 40mm XS ] which one would be the best?
IMO the 15. It's a unique ultrawide lens that gives very distinctive shots. The 31 and 77 also get a lot of praise.
The DA 15 is so good I kept it even though I went full-frame. There's nothing else quite like it.

I liked my 43 best on APS-C, on FF it's tough to split the 31 and 77. They both came alive on full-frame.
08-31-2018, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Coming in a bit late to the discussion. I have the FA 43 and DA 15 limiteds. The OP asked 3 questions.

Are they worth their reputations?
Absolutely yes for the DA 15. It has legendary flare resistance, wonderful colors, and starbursts galore.
I'm still undecided about the FA 43. It's my problem not a lens fault; composing interesting shots at 43mm doesn't come naturally for me. I do plan to practice more with this lens.

I notice that the older FAs are faster, is that because of the different focal lengths or other reasons
The newer DA limiteds are more compact than their FA siblings. The lens designers prioritized size over speed.

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
The DA 15 is so good I kept it even though I went full-frame. There's nothing else quite like it.

I liked my 43 best on APS-C, on FF it's tough to split the 31 and 77. They both came alive on full-frame.
For me on APSC the 31 is a hard sell. It's better but not hugely better than the FA 35 f/2 and the DA 35 f/2.4 - the FA 77 on the other hand is a miracle of a lens. It is the baby A* 85 f/1.4 and lovely for portraits and other fun short telephoto use. The FA 43 - It's a 50mm substitute on FF - I can't see how anyone would not like it. On Crop I love love love my DA 40 so I'd expect I'd love the 43 on crop but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I spent a LOT of time using a 50mm equivalent lens and see the world in that way often. To me the DA 40 with a FOV of around 60mm on FF isn't too far from that world when used on crop.
08-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #224
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had both as well and there was one photographically significant difference. The XS has double the CA of the Limited, as shown at DXOMark and referenced in the PF review. The CA was too much for me and was not removed easily in post. Also, I always use a hood to minimize flare, and that more than negates the XS size advantage. Sure, the lens is somewhat resistant to flare, but the difference between ther Limited with hood and bare XS was clearly visible, even indoors.
08-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #225
Veteran Member

TBF, there's a good chance that I do end up going down that rabbit hole one day; I might actually get a 36x24mm image sensor digital camera in the future, but at the moment I'm mostly interested in the reduced bulk of the APS-C cameras and their lenses. I don't really see the advantage of using the FA Ltd's with my film bodies, as they're full manual and don't support auto aperture or autofocus (K1000, and either an MX or Km). I'm probably going to start investing in the nice SMC K glass for those.
The HD 20-40 is usable on FF from 24mm on up as reported by numerous members here. My silver one never gets mounted of late. I use it in winter more than any other time.