Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 250 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 06:52 PM   #226
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I had both as well and there was one photographically significant difference. The XS has double the CA of the Limited, as shown at DXOMark and referenced in the PF review. The CA was too much for me and was not removed easily in post. Also, I always use a hood to minimize flare, and that more than negates the XS size advantage. Sure, the lens is somewhat resistant to flare, but the difference between ther Limited with hood and bare XS was clearly visible, even indoors.
well

I did find this:

In the second field sharpness test, the DA 40 Limited once again displays awful performance all over at f/2.8, but, puzzlingly, it's the sharpest in the center from f/4 onward. The borders, unfortunately, don't get reasonably sharp until f/8. Once again the DA 35 is the sharpest at the edges wide open, but both it and the DA 40 XS suffer from substantial purple fringing until about f/8. We didn't do a standalone test for chromatic aberrations, but this second field sharpness test shows that the DA 40 Limited clearly offers the best resistance to fringing of the three. "

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Image Quality: Sharpness | PentaxForums.com Reviews

but in actual use, I haven't noticed it

and there is an after market lens hood designed for a video camera that does work with the XS if that would make a difference

you can see the user reviews for the XS here

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

08-31-2018, 06:57 PM   #227
Pentaxian

I've tried a number of lenses that I haven't been able to bond with. Doesn't mean that they are not good lenses, but I picked up a DA 40 ltd here and liked it, but gave it up after a year or so. The pancake aspect was really cool and made for a lighter carry option, but I found: 40mm to be a bit long for some of the indoor things I was wanting to use it for (not all), 2.8 to be not fast enough for some of the indoor/travel photography that I wanted to use it for and I started noticing distortion when I took pictures of things like doorways (travel photography). It's a jewel of a lens and it totally nailed some shots, but I kind of never really loved it and sold it back on the forums.

I picked up a new FA 35/2 on some holiday sale weekend and by comparison it smokes it in my experience. Build quality is not as good. It's not as cool, but that extra stop of light really changes when and where I can use it. Rendering is awesome, I have no issues with it whatsoever. I wish I had felt that way about the 40, but my experience just didn't play out that way.

I have the DA 20-40 ltd and it's every bit as good as they say. Best zoom I've ever had for sure and the quality and handling make me happy.

I also picked up a used DA 70 ltd and haven't used it that much. I recently figured out that it needed a focus adjustment setting in my camera, so I'm starting to like it and have gotten some good shots. I'm working on figuring out what to do with that focal length, but that's not the lens's fault.

I've always really wanted the FA 43, but I think it's too close in focal length and speed to my FA 35 to be worth it. I also think I'd have trouble spending money on an FA 31 because the 35 is so good, but that would probably be a better lens for me.

If I ever give up ASP-C the DA 20-40 will be the toughest casualty.
09-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2,8 XS

without a doubt, it is the best lens in its class

and I recently got an " experienced " SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

there is a difference in material ( how it is made ) and size

the Limited:

Weight 90g (3.2oz)
Dimensions 63mm x 15mm (2.5 in. x 0.6 in.)

the XS:

Weight 51g (1.8oz)
Dimensions 63mm x 9.2mm (2.5 in. x 0.36 in.)

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - What's in the Box / Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

however as far as what is possible with either of them photographically - very close in my mind

and in the in depth review [ which compared the DA 35mm F2.4 as well ] states:

The 40 Limited has the best build, the best looks, and the best features—but for a relatively steep price.

The DA 35mm f/2.4 and the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS also have much to recommend them. The DA 35, though it's as insubstantial and feature-poor as its bargain basement price tag might suggest, is a great performer right from f/2.4, and has the advantage (depending on your perspective) of being 5mm (effectively 7.5mm) wider, which can certainly come in handy in certain situations. The DA 40 XS is by far the smallest and lightest APS-C lens currently being made, and is a brilliant street-shooting tool, much like its skinny-but-not-emaciated elder brother.. . .

Ultimately, any of these three will get you great image quality, durable construction (if a bit chintzy, in the case of the DA 35mm), and a compact and lightweight package. . . .

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - The Bottom Line | PentaxForums.com Reviews

so if cost is an issue or you don't want that big hunk of metal go for the XS, you will be fine

I think something people downplay of the 40xs is the focus speed and accuracy. It's insanely quick even on my k-01.

I think if I had to part with either my 40 xs or my 43 limited, I'd part with the 43. It's just more easily replaced by a fast 50.
09-25-2018, 03:21 AM   #229
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just received from a forum member a like new " experienced " SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited with box, pouch, and both front and rear caps.

now my limited " Limited " collection is:

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited

SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

09-25-2018, 03:44 AM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
just received from a forum member a like new " experienced " SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited with box, pouch, and both front and rear caps.

now my limited " Limited " collection is:

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited

SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

Hope you enjoy using them. SMC 15, 21,35 product very nice starburst.
10-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #231
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I've tried a number of lenses that I haven't been able to bond with. Doesn't mean that they are not good lenses, but I picked up a DA 40 ltd here and liked it, but gave it up after a year or so. The pancake aspect was really cool and made for a lighter carry option, but I found: 40mm to be a bit long for some of the indoor things I was wanting to use it for (not all), 2.8 to be not fast enough for some of the indoor/travel photography that I wanted to use it for and I started noticing distortion when I took pictures of things like doorways (travel photography). It's a jewel of a lens and it totally nailed some shots, but I kind of never really loved it and sold it back on the forums.

I picked up a new FA 35/2 on some holiday sale weekend and by comparison it smokes it in my experience. Build quality is not as good. It's not as cool, but that extra stop of light really changes when and where I can use it. Rendering is awesome, I have no issues with it whatsoever. I wish I had felt that way about the 40, but my experience just didn't play out that way.

I have the DA 20-40 ltd and it's every bit as good as they say. Best zoom I've ever had for sure and the quality and handling make me happy.

I also picked up a used DA 70 ltd and haven't used it that much. I recently figured out that it needed a focus adjustment setting in my camera, so I'm starting to like it and have gotten some good shots. I'm working on figuring out what to do with that focal length, but that's not the lens's fault.

I've always really wanted the FA 43, but I think it's too close in focal length and speed to my FA 35 to be worth it. I also think I'd have trouble spending money on an FA 31 because the 35 is so good, but that would probably be a better lens for me.

If I ever give up ASP-C the DA 20-40 will be the toughest casualty.
If you like the FA35 that much, have you considered picking up the DA35 Ltd? Sure, it's a different optical formula, with it being about a stop slower, but the right focal length, and macro capability (ultra sharp rendering and magnification).
10-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowjester Quote
If you like the FA35 that much, have you considered picking up the DA35 Ltd? Sure, it's a different optical formula, with it being about a stop slower, but the right focal length, and macro capability (ultra sharp rendering and magnification).
The FA 35mm is actually sharper than the DA 35 macro:

http://www.opticallimits.com/images/8Reviews/lenses/pentax_35_2/mtf.gif

http://www.opticallimits.com/images/8Reviews/lenses/pentax_35_28/mtf.gif

The main reason I chose the FA 35 was the extra stop. For close focus I can just pop a Raynox 250 on the end of the FA 35 (or better yet, use my DFA 100mm). To get 1:1 focus on a DA 35mm, you almost have to be touching your subject with the lens.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-15-2018 at 07:32 AM.
10-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the fa 35.
11-29-2018, 07:17 PM - 2 Likes   #234
Forum Member

Well aware of it’s mixed reviews, I bought the 43, which arrived today. I only had time for a few dozen shots around the house and yard. I looked at them in Lightroom and DXO PL2, but my impression is it’s a friggin fantastic lens.
11-30-2018, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #235
Veteran Member

Or...

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
The problem with the limiteds is that there is no such thing as only one. Once you have one, you will want the other two
...in the case of us lucky APSC users, the other five. EIGHT if you count the FA's, which work wonderfully well on our cameras.

Of course, I guess you could say the same for FF users in crop mode...

And a resounding YES as per the original question - they surpass expectations always.

I'm continually amazed at the clarity, sharpness, and especially the wonderful indigenous silver jewelry in this photo. And the lovely Amelia, of course; a spectacular mature woman.

Handheld, available light, K3ii, DA40 limited.

Cheers,
Cameron
01-08-2019, 12:53 PM - 3 Likes   #236
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
The problem with the limiteds is that there is no such thing as only one. Once you have one, you will want the other two
I didn't pay attention to the warnings given to me about if you get one limited, you will get more

I now have a complete set of the DA Prime SMC Limiteds

15mm, 21mm, 35mm, 40mm and now the 70mm is on the way

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-08-2019 at 01:00 PM.
01-08-2019, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #237
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't pay attention to the warnings given to me about if you get one limited, you will get more

ignoring the one Limited zoom, you have three more to go...
01-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #238
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Please don't say things like this. I don't have any of those three, and thus far I've been resolute in sticking with DA Limiteds only... But I'm not entirely immune to temptation, and you're simply not helping...
01-08-2019, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #239
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Please don't say things like this. I don't have any of those three, and thus far I've been resolute in sticking with DA Limiteds only... But I'm not entirely immune to temptation, and you're simply not helping...
again a certain member of the forum is trying to create trouble

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-08-2019 at 01:39 PM.
01-08-2019, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #240
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you're going to love the DA70, Allen.

I don't know how much you shoot at shorter tele focal lengths, and for what purposes, but this lens should make you want to use it. I liked mine from the day I first tried it, though it took me a little while to really warm to the focal length - for a prime lens, at least - and to start using it. But that was purely due to my own habits and use cases. It's a lovely bit of glass with splendid out-of-focus rendering. I hear the FA77 is just a touch better, but (for now) the DA70 is more than enough for me on APS-C

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-08-2019 at 02:35 PM.