Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 01:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma 50-500mm OS lens Optical Stabilization on / off when using Monopod

Hello,

I have the Sigma 50-500mm HSM OS lens and shooting with it hand held in last two years, I understand just use the lens' optical stabilization and turn off my camera (k5/k1) stabilization to get the best result. It's a big and heavy lens so I put it on a Monopod first time last week and go out to take some photo. I use the same setting as what I did when hand held, to my surprise, near 60% of the photos were burr and it's almost double as what I got when hand held.

So I'm thinking should I also turn off the optical stabilization on the lens (also on the camera) when using the Monopod ( just like the Tripod) ? Anyone have experience on this ? thanks.

Michael

01-02-2018, 01:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unstabilised lenses work fine,so why have it on?...
01-02-2018, 02:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

What FL and shutter speed were you using? Unless you are very good with the monopod, I'd keep at least one of OS and SR on.
01-02-2018, 05:14 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would compare the performance of the in-lens OS to the in-camera SR. It's possible that the SR would be better, or that the OS is malfunctioning. You should be fine to use either one, but not both.

If there is not much sway in the monopod, you should be fine without any SR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I used a friends 50-500 with a monopod and OS turned on and i got excellent results so i'm not sure why yours would be different. I have noticed that when using the monopod i would slightly move front to back when trying to hold still and with a narrow depth of field that often accompanies such a long focal length it would be easy to get shots slightly out of focus. Maybe a better technique would help? I try to find something to brace against but that isn't always possible.
01-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I used a friends 50-500 with a monopod and OS turned on and i got excellent results
I just gave mine a test...works fine with On or Off....Both on a Monopod and handheld.

Not that i'll use this lens either way for a long period...3kgs gets a tad HEAVY!

---------- Post added 01-03-18 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If there is not much sway in the monopod
HA HA HA, theres sway!...even with the 3 pronged foot.
01-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I used a friends 50-500 with a monopod and OS turned on and i got excellent results so i'm not sure why yours would be different. I have noticed that when using the monopod i would slightly move front to back when trying to hold still and with a narrow depth of field that often accompanies such a long focal length it would be easy to get shots slightly out of focus. Maybe a better technique would help? I try to find something to brace against but that isn't always possible.

I think I need to practise more on using the monopod as I just use it less than 5 times, and with some shorter lens. Yes, I find it is very easy "swing" with the Sigma 50-500 even I seem to hold the Monopod firmly (or it swing when I press the shutter), and now I believe this is the main cause of the photo burr ! Thanks all.